Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSVD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Hey!
Im getting a Canon 1000d tommorow (first dslr :D) and was looking at a low aperture lens for some real good depth of field. I was wondering if that canon 1.8 would be any good for this kinda stuff, especially quite macro-like shots with the really shallow dof :) If i get it its going to be when im in town later, so a swift reply would be good :D
Dont suppose anyone has that lens and could show me some good snaps?

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
50 1.8 is not a good macro lens (or a great lens at anything). It is cheap and it produces OK pictures. Play with your kit lens for a while and try renting a macro lens to see what works for you.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
The 50 1.8 can give you that razor thin DoF you desire, BUT the Bokeh is hideous. I've rarely use it wide open. Most of the time I stop it down to 2.2 or 2.8. It's certainly better than the kit lense and dirt cheap to boot. I've always prefered primes to zooms, so I'm biased.:p
If you've got the cash, the 1.4 is much better lense, in terms of build quality and bokeh.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Took a few shots with it. Wanted to own it again as I had it with my EOS 650 back in the day.

It's 80mm on a crop-body, so kinda harder to work with.

If I had to do it over, I'd get the 24mm Nikon and just manual focus with it and also use it on my Olympus bodies (use an adapter).

romanaz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
The 50 1.8 can give you that razor thin DoF you desire, BUT the Bokeh is hideous. I've rarely use it wide open. Most of the time I stop it down to 2.2 or 2.8. It's certainly better than the kit lense and dirt cheap to boot. I've always prefered primes to zooms, so I'm biased.:p
If you've got the cash, the 1.4 is much better lense, in terms of build quality and bokeh.

I agree with this. For 90 bucks, the 50 1.8 is a sick lens. Its already paid for itself twice for me. Sometimes it does hunt a bit in lower light and can be noisy to focus at times, but its a nice lens. Better color and sharpness then the kit lens's. If you can swing it, the 1.4 is much smoother bokeh and doesn't hunt as much (or as long) in lower light situations, from what I have experienced.

TBH the bokeh on the 1.4 is still hideous, but not nearly as much as the 1.8. The 1.2 is fantastic, had the chance to use one once, amazing lens.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
I agree with this. For 90 bucks, the 50 1.8 is a sick lens. Its already paid for itself twice for me. Sometimes it does hunt a bit in lower light and can be noisy to focus at times, but its a nice lens. Better color and sharpness then the kit lens's. If you can swing it, the 1.4 is much smoother bokeh and doesn't hunt as much (or as long) in lower light situations, from what I have experienced.

TBH the bokeh on the 1.4 is still hideous, but not nearly as much as the 1.8. The 1.2 is fantastic, had the chance to use one once, amazing lens.

The 1.4 still has a 5 bladed ap, so if you have strong light points in the bokeh, you get pentagons :eek:

TheSVD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
cool, thanks for all the replies :)
well, i didnt get it in the end, after looking at everything on the net about it!
ANd yeah i hate those pentagonal light shapes :mad:
Just jumped up and bought a nice 70-300mm instead :)

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
The 1.4 still has a 5 bladed ap, so if you have strong light points in the bokeh, you get pentagons :eek:

no it doesn't. it has 8. it's bokeh is mediocre at best due to lens design.

OP: i would suggest the Canon 35mm f/2 over the 50 for your camera, if you ever decide to buy a cheap prime.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
no it doesn't. it has 8. it's bokeh is mediocre at best due to lens design.

OP: i would suggest the Canon 35mm f/2 over the 50 for your camera, if you ever decide to buy a cheap prime.

+1 on the 35/2.

My mistake on the ap blades. Not sure what lens I was thinking about. Brain cramp.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
This is the most popular Canon lens by far (a classic). It consistently gets good reviews from people who actually use it (see amazon.com).

I actually use it, and it's a decent lens, but the still-inexpensive 50/1.4 is miles better.

The 50/1.8 has a terrific price/performance ratio, but it's not because of the denominator.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Hey!
Im getting a Canon 1000d tommorow (first dslr :D) and was looking at a low aperture lens for some real good depth of field. I was wondering if that canon 1.8 would be any good for this kinda stuff, especially quite macro-like shots with the really shallow dof :) If i get it its going to be when im in town later, so a swift reply would be good :D

Adding to the thread, here's a user group on Flickr where all the photos have been taken with such a lens.

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
http://www.flickr.com/groups/99827226@N00/

Have lotsof fun with your new toy!!

apearlman

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2007
Red Hook, NY
Shallow DOF can be a drag.

Here are 25,681 sample images I just found:
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/ef_50_18ii

Also, macro shooters don't generally *try* to get shallow depth of field, it's just a byproduct of focusing on things that are very close to the camera. If anything, you'll want to shoot smaller apertures to try to avoid having a DOF that's too shallow. It can be hard to get a whole flower or insect in focus.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Hey!

My Canon shooting friends much prefer the Sigma 50mm over the Canon 1.8 for build and image quality, but as others have said, it's not a good macro lens.

TheSVD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
nahh, as i said i now have my 70-300 from sigma, very impressed with its macro abilities :O check it out: (attached)

Attachments

• IMG_0034r.jpg
    IMG_0034r.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 71

romanaz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
My Canon shooting friends much prefer the Sigma 50mm over the Canon 1.8 for build and image quality, but as others have said, it's not a good macro lens.

I've heard good things about that sigma 50 and some bad things, like that its bigger then the other 50's and focus is slower then the 1.4. Then again, @ such low f-stop, it can't be easy to focus anyhow!

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
I've heard good things about that sigma 50 and some bad things, like that its bigger then the other 50's and focus is slower then the 1.4. Then again, @ such low f-stop, it can't be easy to focus anyhow!

yeah, the Sigma 50 is the biggest 50 available for Canon (even larger than the 50/1.2) and the best one under $1000. its AF isn't any slower than the Canon 1.4, though - it'd likely be faster if there weren't so much glass to move.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.