Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brendanryder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
Calgary
So i just bought a Canon Rebel XTi today with the kit lens. my dad has a rebel S along with: a 19-35 wide angle lens, 55-105 lens, and a 75-300 lens.
so i have all of his lens that i can use. i bought a 1gb cf card. i was wondering if there is anything else i need/should get. and what type of camera bag you suggest. im just getting into photogrophy so tips, and tricks of the trade would be greatly appreacited. thanks and any advice is awsome

:D

Jan 30, 2006
I bought the bag that Nikon offered at Best Buy, not sure if Canon offers one for their cameras, but what I suggest is to have space for camera cables, extra battery, the camera with one lens attached and at least one (two even better) extra lenses (one wide and one telephoto).

Also, having a second battery is always useful. And consider buying a tripod, it is a must when you want long exposures.

And maybe consider getting a larger memory card. If you take photos in RAW format you won't be able to take many photos with 1GB.

Congrats on your new camera, you'll enjoy it.:)

brendanryder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
Calgary
o yea forgot to add that i will be buying a extra battery and ordering a 4gig cf online cus they wanted 220 in the store, can you believe that!!!!!!
and i have acess to a tripod so i can scratch that. right know it says i can hold 220 photos on my 1 gig at the highest quality. is that raw? and i am using iphoto to edit my photos for now.
oo i forgot about bestbuy, i will check there this week to see what gthey have for bags

thanks alot for the advice :d

Jan 30, 2006
I guess you are shooting at Fine. But not RAW. In RAW each photo takes about 9-10 MB of space.

In my D40x, which is also 10.2 megapixels, a 4GB memory card only has space for 322 photos in RAW format.

I recommend reading this article to understand the RAW format.

But since you say you use iPhoto, then maybe using RAW won't be the best, since iPhoto does not handles RAW files very good.
When later on you get a program like Aperture or Lightroom, then shooting in RAW for me would be a must.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I guess you are shooting at Fine. But not RAW. In RAW each photo takes about 9-10 MB of space.

In my D40x, which is also 10.2 megapixels, a 4GB memory card only has space for 322 photos in RAW format.

I recommend reading this article to understand the RAW format.

But since you say you use iPhoto, then maybe using RAW won't be the best, since iPhoto does not handles RAW files very good.
When later on you get a program like Aperture or Lightroom, then shooting in RAW for me would be a must.

Actually, I use iPhoto to store my RAW photos from my XT (not really organized into albums, just in dated order in the library) and it works fine for that. If you've got Photoshop (which any digital photographer should), I don't see why you'd edit in iPhoto, anyway.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
M@lew's advice is key, take it easy, see what you feel you need after a few weeks of shooting.

A couple of prospective options could be a 50mm 1.8 lens (cheap, sharp, good), and/or a flash. I'm not up to date on Canon's flashes, so maybe someone with more experience could tell you the pros and cons of the 430 vs. 580. Either way, I found personally that a flash added a lot to my photography.

But, like M@lew said, take some time to discover what you need.

brendanryder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
Calgary
ya thats what i thought, i wasent in raw, but i just fix the color balence in iphoto and it works just frine for me for now.
i knwo about raw and how its what you need to adjust everything .
seenew how did you put your xt into raw format?
i cant figure out how[i hate reading manuals]
and thats for everyones advice its greatly appreaciated :p

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Er...after reading that I think you're trying to ask how to enable RAW.

Well you need to be in either P, Av, Tv, M or A-DEP modes to be able to select it. It says this on P62 of my XTi manual.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.