Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skoker

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
I'm looking for a camera for some aviation photography. Here's what I need:

*Fast shutter speed
*High optical zoom
*Outdoor readable display
*Low cost

Any suggestions? I'll need it to be at a retailer like Circuit City or Best Buy cuz I'm going on a spotting trip in a week.

Thanks for the advice!

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
skoker said:
I'm looking for a camera for some aviation photography. Here's what I need:

*Fast shutter speed
*High optical zoom
*Outdoor readable display
*Low cost

Any suggestions? I'll need it to be at a retailer like Circuit City or Best Buy cuz I'm going on a spotting trip in a week.

Thanks for the advice!

Skoker - check out the Canon S2 IS from Canon. http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=11368
It's got a 2.3 fps shooting mode, a 12x optical zoom, and digicam capability as well. The display can be left in place or popped out and moved around at various angles as well. CC and BB should both have them in stock.

skoker

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
law guy said:
Skoker - check out the Canon S2 IS from Canon. http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=11368
It's got a 2.3 fps shooting mode, a 12x optical zoom, and digicam capability as well. The display can be left in place or popped out and moved around at various angles as well. CC and BB should both have them in stock.

That's exactly what I'm looking for but I don't have $379 to drop for it. I'm ideally looking for something sub-$175 (which I know limits my selections)

skoker

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
iGary said:
Do you want to shoot airlshows and landing/taking off aircraft?

That's a tough order for a point and shoot.

I figured. I don't even know what point-and-shoot means.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
What you're asking for is impossible. I mean, $175? Your choices on ANY digital camera are very very limited, and it doesn't get better when you have a list of requirements.

Get a used film SLR, I guess?

skoker

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
Abstract said:
What you're asking for is impossible. I mean, $175? Your choices on ANY digital camera are very very limited, and it doesn't get better when you have a list of requirements.

Get a used film SLR, I guess?

I guess the most important things are high optical zoom and low cost then. Any in that category?

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
You can get the Fuji for a little over $200 online, and the Kodak for nearer 300. The Kodak has a 10x zoom, not 12, sorry. I don't think you'd find anything at all at Best Buy for that kind of price and need. I can just suggest saving up for a while and getting a good camera that'll last you. The Canon S2 IS is great, as i the Sony DSC-H1.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Ryan T. said:
I recently ordered the DSC-H1 for $244 brand new. Thanks slickdeals!

I'm excited.

That's so lucky. I ended up paying $570 Canadian for mine, plus tax and memory card. Came out to nearly $800. It was worth it though, I think it's a fantastic camera, and I love it!

macpastor

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2006
I have never been a WalMart guy, but you can get some great camera deals there if you need on in a hurry.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
epicwelshman said:
Ripped off? $244 for that camera is an amazing deal. I wish I could have found mine for that price!

I think the implication was that for $244 it either wasn't the DSC-H1 (does the Sony sticker peel off? :) ) or that it was just an empty case. :p

EDIT: Or that it won't actually arrive...

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
discoforce said:
I think the implication was that for $244 it either wasn't the DSC-H1 (does the Sony sticker peel off? :) ) or that it was just an empty case. :p

EDIT: Or that it won't actually arrive...

Haha, wouldn't that suck! I dunno, I may crazy and waste money, but I feel a lot more comfortable buying things from the manufacturer themselves and paying a little more... just gives me some peace of mind!

Ryan T.

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2005
Rochester, NY
jared_kipe said:
I wonder if this has come in yet, I'm still wondering if he got scammed.
It was from Dell, so yes, it was very legitimate. Although at the last moment before it shipped, I went with the Canon S2 IS on a similar deal, paid $277 :)

I'm enjoying the S2 IS right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.