Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helpmebuydiz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2022
Sorry I'm not all that tech-literate, so would just like to make sure I'm not buying the wrong thing before going ahead. Looking to upgrade the RAM on my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020), that currently has 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4. Is there any meangfull difference between these options that I should be aware of before buying?

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Sorry I'm not all that tech-literate, so would just like to make sure I'm not buying the wrong thing before going ahead. Looking to upgrade the RAM on my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020), that currently has 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4. Is there any meangfull difference between these options that I should be aware of before buying?

There is no meaningful difference.
The first Crucial one is “for Mac” which supposedly is more QC testing, but they are vague exactly what this is, and functionally it is same spec and performance as second Crucial one. I would not hesitate to get either, Crucial is the brand with best reputation.
The OWC brand also has good reputation although some people have had issues with 128 GB OWC (4x32GB sticks), so if you plan to get another 64gb in future this might be something to consider. However OWC has excellent customer service and lifetime warranty and will replace if any issues. So will Crucial. At least in US, not sure about EU or UK.

btw, do not attempt to mix with the existing 8gb ram. Just remove the 8gb ram and replace with the new ram. In 2020 imac all sticks must be same size else memory speed drops

Last edited:

helpmebuydiz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2022
The first Crucial one is “for Mac” which supposedly is more QC testing, but they are vague exactly what this is, and functionally it is same spec and performance as second Crucial one. I would not hesitate to get either, Crucial is the brand with best reputation.
The OWC brand also has good reputation although some people have had issues with 128 GB OWC (4x32GB sticks), so if you plan to get another 64gb in future this might be something to consider. However OWC has excellent customer service and lifetime warranty and will replace if any issues. So will Crucial. At least in US, not sure about EU or UK.

btw, do not attempt to mix with the existing 8gb ram. Just remove the 8gb ram and replace with the new ram. In 2020 imac all sticks must be same size else memory speed drops
Thank you so much. Yes I've actually heard that last part before, will follow.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Btw, I had good luck with timetec brand, could find no difference from Crucial in testing

Just make sure you can return anything

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007

It is my understanding that Crucial’s Mac RAM follows the same PVC-free BFR-free, etc. manufacturing techniques Apple uses on their own boards, which is the reason for the price difference between the ‘M’(ac) version and non-M version.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
It is my understanding that Crucial’s Mac RAM follows the same PVC-free BFR-free, etc. manufacturing techniques Apple uses on their own boards, which is the reason for the price difference between the ‘M’(ac) version and non-M version.
Yes, I heard that Mac versions are more environmentally friendly, but could not find this stated anywhere other that hearsay. Maybe it is both, but it seems deliberately obscure. There may also be licensing fee involved, i.e. a royalty to brand it “for Mac.” But there does not seem to be any performance difference

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Yes, I heard that Mac versions are more environmentally friendly, but could not find this stated anywhere other that hearsay. Maybe it is both, but it seems deliberately obscure. There may also be licensing fee involved, i.e. a royalty to brand it “for Mac.” But there does not seem to be any performance difference
Based on posts in the 2020 iMac RAM thread, it works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.