Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
I have a customer who wants a good shot of his building. Its about 300' long, and I can only get back about 80-100' then I'm hitting the fence of the interstate.

I can get it all in at 10-11mm but the corners are a little too soft/blurry.

If I shot a pano, would I do it in portrait, or landscape mode, Aperture priority or manual, and would I need one of them pano heads for the tripod?
:confused:
Thanks

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I have a customer who wants a good shot of his building. Its about 300' long, and I can only get back about 80-100' then I'm hitting the fence of the interstate.

I can get it all in at 10-11mm but the corners are a little too soft/blurry.

If I shot a pano, would I do it in portrait, or landscape mode, Aperture priority or manual, and would I need one of them pano heads for the tripod?
:confused:
Thanks

Portrait mode gives you more resolution- but it'll mean more adjustment. But it's digital, do both! I'd shoot it in manual mode. You don't need a pano head, but it helps if you can swing on the nodal point- most software will allow you to align the images if they're a little off.

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
Portrait mode gives you more resolution- but it'll mean more adjustment. But it's digital, do both! I'd shoot it in manual mode. You don't need a pano head, but it helps if you can swing on the nodal point- most software will allow you to align the images if they're a little off.

I liked Double Take, any other recommendations?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I liked Double Take, any other recommendations?

Building shot from half-way up tend to have less perspective issues than ones shot from the ground. Shoot near dusk, with the interior lights on, do some long exposures. In fact, I'd start in late afternoon, do some shots, then don't move the tripod until it starts getting dark. Shoot the dusk shots, shoot some with the lights off and you'll have enough to work with that you can produce pretty-much any look you want. If there's going to be a lot of parking lot or other concrete in the way it'll probably look better wet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.