Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

logo2424

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2016
USA
Hello All,
i currently just bought a macbook pro , my first mac. I have not had this nice of a computer ever but i was under the impression it would run Heros of the storm like butter. ( I run on low graphics )

here i will list all the specs i think matter

Macbook Pro 8.1 Early 2011
Running --- Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)
2.3 ghz cpu (Sandy something is the name of cpu)
i5
320gb sata hd
4gb ram
Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

i just did a fresh wipe, w/ 293 gb free on hd

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/heroes-of-the-storm-system-requirements

above is requirements for HOTS - which i just learned myself the preferred ram is 8gb with an i5

I'm already ordering a 16gb from owc for my mac ddr3 204 pin 1333ghz so-dimm i believe

do you guys think that will be enough to run the game super smoothly? (i run on low graphics cuz of graphics card anyway)
I'm more intent on just running the game smooth to be competitive.
but
i guess this is my real question,
if i wanted to around 300-500$ on an external gpu and whatever else i would need with it (for my mac)
what should i get, to run the game in perhaps medium graphics? I understand a mac can only go so far.
please and thank you everyone. and I hope i put this in the right spot thank!

ssong

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
London, UK
I run HotS on a Intel hd4000 and can tell you that you'll be disappointed. I run with 1024x768 and it will get me around 30fps but will lag every once in a while and over prolonged use it will drop to 20-30.

It's playable but not butter smooth 60fps as you'd want. As for eGPU I'm out of my expertise.

logo2424

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2016
USA
I run HotS on a Intel hd4000 and can tell you that you'll be disappointed. I run with 1024x768 and it will get me around 30fps but will lag every once in a while and over prolonged use it will drop to 20-30.

It's playable but not butter smooth 60fps as you'd want. As for eGPU I'm out of my expertise.

thxs 4 your feedback but do you think going to 4gb of ram to 16 gb ill at least see a difference there?

ssong

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
London, UK
thxs 4 your feedback but do you think going to 4gb of ram to 16 gb ill at least see a difference there?
I'd say maybe, but the change would be minimal imo. I upped the allocated ram by double and it saw minimal gains. The figures I mentioned were with the upped ram so with a card that's a generation older I'm not too sure it would be enough to get 60fps.

Queen6

macrumors G4

Nope the GPU is the bottleneck, more RAM will allow you to run more applications faster (less paging to the physical disk), not so much accelerate a single application. Best bet is "BootCamp" Windows as games generally fair better under Windows, which in many respects defeats the purpose of owning a Mac.

Unless you have a relatively new Mac (fast), or the game can run on a toaster, gaming on Mac portables is generally a poor experience, as the bottom line is that they are not designed for gaming in mind, nor is OS X optimised for the same.

Q-6

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Nope the GPU is the bottleneck, more RAM will allow you to run more applications faster (less paging to the physical disk), not so much accelerate a single application.
- I agree that it likely won't do much, but upgrading from 4 GB to 8 GB RAM or more will see the amount allocated to the HD 3000 increase from 384 MB to 512 MB. So there will be a small difference.

Queen6

macrumors G4
- I agree that it likely won't do much, but upgrading from 4 GB to 8 GB RAM or more will see the amount allocated to the HD 3000 increase from 384 MB to 512 MB. So there will be a small difference.

True, it will help a little with memory allocation to the GPU. Really I just think that if you want to game, it`s far better to buy a system that has gaming in mind, or at very least a semi decent dGPU (960M) which frankly rules out Mac`s, unless your prepared to pay far more, for a subpar gaming experience.

Bottom line is Apple & Mac`s are focused elsewhere...

Q-6

ssong

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
London, UK
True, it will help a little with memory allocation to the GPU. Really I just think that if you want to game, it`s far better to buy a system that has gaming in mind, or at very least a semi decent dGPU (960M) which frankly rules out Mac`s, unless your prepared to pay far more, for a subpar gaming experience.

Bottom line is Apple & Mac`s are focused elsewhere...

Q-6
I agree with your comment but OP wasn't considering proper games and the question was directed solely on HotS. While I agree that if you want to game then you should get a Windows with a decent dgpu, but for OPs purpose a Mac would serve him just fine. Perhaps not the Mac he owns, but the newer macs would run it without issue, and could even achieve a decent 40-50fps in medium settings as well depending which variant of the mbp one gets.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
No. If you're not running out of RAM, chucking more at it will do strictly nothing.

The GPU sucks, there's no way around it. If you bought this with the intent of gaming, you should've researched a bit more.

logo2424

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2016
USA
Okay thanks everyone , so lastly
Is there any external way of pretty much accepting the fact the actually Mac can't do much , to where u run off of somthing else basically? Like a external gpu thru thunderbolt ? And everything you'd need to achieve that

ssong

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
London, UK
Okay thanks everyone , so lastly
Is there any external way of pretty much accepting the fact the actually Mac can't do much , to where u run off of somthing else basically? Like a external gpu thru thunderbolt ? And everything you'd need to achieve that
Sadly, I'm not sure if it would make financial sense as eGPU solutions aren't really cheap. And if anyone with a technical background can confirm this, I'm not sure if the 2011 model would be compatible for that. Chances are, whatever you saved in buying the 2011 model would go into using the eGPU. :/

logo2424

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2016
USA
Yes I paid 400 for it used, first Mac
Upgraded from a dinky Windows 400$starter computer, that could barely surf the web , so it's still an upgrade , but now I'm thinking if I would have spent 300 more , cuz I have a case and other accessories for it I have 5 in it total , where I've heard 800$ish will get u a decent gaming pc -- only wanting to play hots, super new to pc gaming

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Gaming on a laptop is almost a fool's errand. Gaming on a MacBook Pro even more so.

If gaming in general is that important to you, then you should build or buy a PC, and forget Apple products for that purpose. I would say get a console instead (because it'll be cheaper than a PC,) but afaik HotS isn't available for it.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Yes I paid 400 for it used, first Mac
Upgraded from a dinky Windows 400$starter computer, that could barely surf the web , so it's still an upgrade , but now I'm thinking if I would have spent 300 more , cuz I have a case and other accessories for it I have 5 in it total , where I've heard 800$ish will get u a decent gaming pc -- only wanting to play hots, super new to pc gaming
Usually pc would do it...but if you need a Mac..for other purposes as well...u could try Mac Pro 2010-2012.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.