Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi Folks,

This could fall into a few categories, but I'm hoping this one helps the most.

Issue: I have 180'ish tiff files (digital pics and scans) for a slideshow.

I'd like to put a slightly feathered border (8 px) around each photo, with a black background (or maybe transparent - but can I have that in a tiff b/c it's not a gif?). The reason for the black background is my slideshow canvas is black.

Now, I know how to do a feathered border, but with that many photos, I need some sort of a batch feature. From what I've read, I need to apply a selection for each photo before choosing the feather option, then create a new file etc..etc..

I tried to create a layer via copy then changed the background to black, but that involves choosing the selection first.

I'd like this feathered border on each photograph b/c for whatever reason, the edges on some photographs 'vibrate' or are 'wavy' when I apply the Ken Burns effect. The feedback I've received is to either blur the photos, which i'd rather not do, or to add a feathered border.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Keebler

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Record an action in Photoshop, then select File > Automate > Batch...

Choose the folder containing the TIFFs, fine tune your settings (renaming, destination for output, etc), and walk away.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Record an action in Photoshop, then select File > Automate > Batch...

Choose the folder containing the TIFFs, fine tune your settings (renaming, destination for output, etc), and walk away.

thanks folks.

I must be doing something wrong b/c there's a major issue which I neglected to mention: the photos don't have the same dimensions - most are scanned photos so we're talking 4x6s, 3x5s etc.. I didn't scan in the smaller photos to be the same size. I also have vertical and horizontal photos.

So, in running an action I created, some photos are cut in half etc..

Cheers,
Keebler

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
Without knowing what specific actions you're doing the only thing I can say is find out why they are being cut in half and use another approach.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I thought PS would adjust for file dimensions, but I haven't used Actions in a long time. I would seperate your files into folders based on dimension, run your Action on one folder and then edit the dimensions to repeat in the next. Better that one-by-one.

Dale

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I thought PS would adjust for file dimensions, but I haven't used Actions in a long time. I would seperate your files into folders based on dimension, run your Action on one folder and then edit the dimensions to repeat in the next. Better that one-by-one.

Dale

@ jackerin - it's because the file dimensions vary and I set the action to a 4x6 scanned image so anything vertical is getting cut off :(

But thanks Dale, you're right - I created an action for all steps after my selection which is helping. Due to how I have these photos already in my slideshow program, I'm doing them one by one. It's going to take a bit longer, but it doesn't hurt going over these photos a 3rd time editing wise as I go along.

Thanks everyone!
keebler

Stratification

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
Spokane, WA
If you go to file > Automate > Fit Image there's an option to specify a maximum size for each dimension. You could run that first, then set the canvas size with a black background and see how that goes. It's a fairly hidden command but very handy for actions.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
If you go to file > Automate > Fit Image there's an option to specify a maximum size for each dimension. You could run that first, then set the canvas size with a black background and see how that goes. It's a fairly hidden command but very handy for actions.

thanks stratification! I'll check that out.

I ended up making 2 actions: 1 for doing the feathered border. It involved making a new document which I didn't want b/c of the tie-ins to my slideshow program. I didn't want to relink anything and if I had all the original filenames, the program would automatically update the new file.

But I figured, hey, relinking is minor if it still saved me time creating the feathered border.

Then, I was so tired, i created an action of choosing file - automate - batch and my feathered border batch.

So, for each photo, I chose the selection, then ran the 2nd automated batch.

The result: I got my feathered file and it saved the original, with the changes. lol I didn't quite plan it like that and I know it's not perfect in the sense I have to choose the selection each time, but it's ok for this time.

Next time, I'll set up the images BEFORE doing the slideshow.

Thanks again everyone!

Cheers,
Keebler

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.