Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lookeegg4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2021
Hi I need to buy a new iMac to use for work by the end of 2021. I am a photo editor and also now edit video (as in selecting and reviewing stock footage clips rather than doing post-production work. (footage is mainly 4k and maybe with occasional 8k)

I currently have a 2013 21.5 inch intel i5 iMac that has been doing admirably well up until now but feel it is not ready for the future and upcoming workloads with more photo and video work.

The new iMac's only have the basic M1 chip and there is no sign of a new version with the M1 Pro or M1 Max being released before the end of 2021, so what existing M1 iMac and spec would be suitable? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Budget is no more than £2000/$2500.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Well the benchmarks and end-user reviews show the "basic" M1 is a beast at video and photo editing so I would not worry about performance. :)

As for spec, I would get the 8 core CPU + 8 Core GPU model with the four ports (2xTB + 2xUSB), 16GB of RAM and however much storage you need. So you're looking at £1849 with 512GB SSD or £2040 with 1TB SSD.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I would get the high-end sku iMac w/ 16GB of RAM. In terms of storage and saving money, I would get the 512GB. Then, I would recommend getting an external SSD (with USB3) to house your photos/video, as I know most editors prefer external drives to house media/projects.

M1 should be great to editing photos/videos (ex. it can edit multiple streams of 4K video in FCP without issue). Coming from your 2013 iMac, this is a worthy upgrade.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you can hold out until the end of the year, couldn't you hold out just one or two months longer?
That looks to be the time frame in which the larger-screen iMac will be released.

I predict that the "jump up" between the large-screen and the current 24" iMac will be "as big as" the one we see from the m1 MacBook Pro to the new MacBook Pro 14" and 16" units...

Reactions: OriginalBaki

OriginalBaki

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2021
Hi I need to buy a new iMac to use for work by the end of 2021. I am a photo editor and also now edit video (as in selecting and reviewing stock footage clips rather than doing post-production work. (footage is mainly 4k and maybe with occasional 8k)

I currently have a 2013 21.5 inch intel i5 iMac that has been doing admirably well up until now but feel it is not ready for the future and upcoming workloads with more photo and video work.

The new iMac's only have the basic M1 chip and there is no sign of a new version with the M1 Pro or M1 Max being released before the end of 2021, so what existing M1 iMac and spec would be suitable? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Budget is no more than £2000/$2500.
Wait until Q2 or buy a m1 pro

mapleleafer

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2009
I predict that the "jump up" between the large-screen and the current 24" iMac will be "as big as" the one we see from the m1 MacBook Pro to the new MacBook Pro 14" and 16" units...
With a similar difference in price? That would put the larger iMac well beyond my budget.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
If you can hold out until the end of the year, couldn't you hold out just one or two months longer?
That looks to be the time frame in which the larger-screen iMac will be released.

I can't imagine Apple releasing a new product that late before the holiday season...From what I read/see, next round of new Macs will be Spring (updated Air/Mini and maybe processor update for the iMac) and iMac Pro/Mac Pro at WWDC.

Hope I'm wrong!

brerlappin

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2012
Since it could be a while for the new 27” iMac, maybe consider the new MacBook Pro with an LG external monitor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.