Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amoore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2006
Hello,

I need a willing Mac user to help me out with some iphoto files. I have a pc and I'm trying to open up files that were saved to an iphoto library... Obviously it won't work, but I was wondering if the files were saved in a different format would I be able to view them? And if so, would anyone in here be so kind to convert the files for me? Thank you.

Aaron

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Um, iPhoto just stores photos as JPG as they originally came off the camera, unless you're importing RAW files. JPG's as compatible as the day is long, so I'm not sure what you're doing wrong. Some more details would be helpful. :confused:

amoore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2006
I'm not sure exactly what the problem is and I do apologies for my ignorance... I have a really old CD that had a folder titled, "iphoto library." Tried opening it... did not work. There's files in there that are named Jpg's... but it won't let me view them. It asks me to find the appropiate program. My aim is "Aaron 11 Phoenix" I'd be willing to send you the folder to see if you can open it???

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Well, it sounds as if the CD is fine. What's the PC like? What OS are you running? Maybe there's just nothing there that understands JPG files (if it's an older PC, say pre Windows 2000 or XP this is possible).

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
I'm not sure exactly what the problem is and I do apologies for my ignorance... I have a really old CD that had a folder titled, "iphoto library." Tried opening it... did not work. There's files in there that are named Jpg's... but it won't let me view them. It asks me to find the appropriate program. My aim is "Aaron 11 Phoenix" I'd be willing to send you the folder to see if you can open it???

If that is really the message you are getting, than this could be very easy.
If windows just can't auto find the right program, it'll ask you to select one. When it asks you to find a program, have you tried using something like PictureViewer? I think this was a standard program in 2000, but I'm not sure. I know it was in XP.
Failing that, Microsoft Word should be able to open it as well, though obviously not a picture viewing program or a solution, but it'll help us figure out if there is anything wrong with the images.

Cheers, and let us know if you figure it out!!

~Tyler

Lebowski

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
its not a file type problem, its the way iphoto stores images into sub folders.

it breaks up rolls into individual folders. your entire library is not in one folder. you need to navigate to each roll folder.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
its not a file type problem, its the way iphoto stores images into sub folders.

it breaks up rolls into individual folders. your entire library is not in one folder. you need to navigate to each roll folder.

I assumed this wasn't a problem because the OP was getting the "find application" dialog.

However perhaps the OP was trying to open a resource file for iPhoto instead of the pictures? I don't have my Mac next to me to see what the possible scenerios are.

amoore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2006
Awesome! I found the pics. There is one folder containing pictures that can't be viewed at all, but I believe that is a problem with the way the initial user saved them. I believe he tried saving them from a website and now all that shows up is x's. I really appreciate you all helping me. I thought I was going to get flamed for asking such a simple question.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
Awesome! I found the pics. There is one folder containing pictures that can't be viewed at all, but I believe that is a problem with the way the initial user saved them. I believe he tried saving them from a website and now all that shows up is x's. I really appreciate you all helping me. I thought I was going to get flamed for asking such a simple question.

We're glad to help :)
Those that flame should be shot, it's not like we were born knowing any of this, we all asked at some point :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.