Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Milfin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
I'm not a professional photographer but I do like to take tons of photos when I go on vacation.

Yesterday I got back from vacation and found myself using the old point and shoot and Camcorder more than my SLR!!! Pictures/Video turned out well but it bothers me that I only used my SLR around 5% of the time.

Has anyone ever got into this funk and what do they do to get out of it?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Depends on your habits.

Try enlarging or cropping those P&S Pics, or taking pics in low light.

I sold all my film equipment and bought a like-dSLR. I took it out only a few times and got frustrated with the noise in the pics.

I ended up getting a dSLR system and won't look back.

P&S are fun and you don't have to lug an SLR with lenses around, but as long as you shoot in ISO 100-200.

I did a comparison:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/7286385/

Hard to go back to a P&S after that...

What P&S do you have, pic samples?

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
I guess my question would be: looking back, why were you not using your DSLR more? Bulk? Weight? Hassle of having to change lenses? Fear of it getting stolen/damaged? Needing to lug around a dedicated bag?

From my own personal experience, I can say that less is more when traveling on vacation. Try to just bring one or two lenses. Either a zoom that will cover the range in which you like to shoot or possibly a couple of small primes. It's easy to want to bring enough gear to cover every conceivable situation. Usually a bad idea when you are vacationing. I usually either bring a fast 24-70 *or* a 20 2.8, a 50 1.4, and (rarely) a 105 2.8. Both options are fairly light and fit into a small bag (especially leaving out the 105 which is somewhat bulky). The key is to know what focal length(s) you are likely to need for the type of vacation you are taking. Fewer lenses = more shooting (at least for me). Less weight = happier person at the end of the day.

If you are happy with the shots you are getting with your point and shoot and aren't upset that you missed some that would only have been possible with a DSLR, then keep using a point and shoot. Less garbage to carry on vacation is always better. For me it ends up being a tradeoff between how much am I willing to deal with gear vs how much I really want the broader range of images I can get with my DSLR. The DSLR usually wins out for me.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I'm not a professional photographer but I do like to take tons of photos when I go on vacation.

Yesterday I got back from vacation and found myself using the old point and shoot and Camcorder more than my SLR!!! Pictures/Video turned out well but it bothers me that I only used my SLR around 5% of the time.

Has anyone ever got into this funk and what do they do to get out of it?

Buy new and expensive lenses, so you have to shoot to justify them? ;)

Seriously, not everyone needs an SLR, and it's difficult to carry video and still gear and get what you want- don't worry about it, if you're really stumped use the photo challenges here and shoot with the SLR at home...

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I've done both - carried and shot exclusively with a dSLR on one trip, and then exclusively with a point 'n shoot digital on another trip. I had to consider carefully beforehand why I only wanted one or the other. If I knew I'd be spending a considerable amount of time in the 'photographer's' mode, then it would clearly be the dSLR, lenses, bag, etc. Keeping in mind that when I'm in this mode I usually need to spend quite a bit of time on my own, with images and light and time of day and location and purpose/assignment... all part of the equation. It's not really that good when on a vacation with a significant other, where being laid back and spending quality time together is the priority. Those times are clearly point 'n shoot times. With the right small, flexible and decent point 'n shoot, you get different types of results, some worse, but often better, just because the camera is handy, and simple. Video, goofing around, spontaneous stuff. Also, the challenge of dealing with the limitations of a point 'n shoot sometimes get your head in the right place, at least for me...

So... both are good... in the right circumstances. :)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I've done both - carried and shot exclusively with a dSLR on one trip, and then exclusively with a point 'n shoot digital on another trip. I had to consider carefully beforehand why I only wanted one or the other. If I knew I'd be spending a considerable amount of time in the 'photographer's' mode, then it would clearly be the dSLR, lenses, bag, etc. Keeping in mind that when I'm in this mode I usually need to spend quite a bit of time on my own, with images and light and time of day and location and purpose/assignment... all part of the equation. It's not really that good when on a vacation with a significant other, where being laid back and spending quality time together is the priority. Those times are clearly point 'n shoot times. With the right small, flexible and decent point 'n shoot, you get different types of results, some worse, but often better, just because the camera is handy, and simple. Video, goofing around, spontaneous stuff. Also, the challenge of dealing with the limitations of a point 'n shoot sometimes get your head in the right place, at least for me...

So... both are good... in the right circumstances. :)

oooh, your post just gave me the "warm and fuzzies"... :eek:

right on...

:D

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Buy new and expensive lenses, so you have to shoot to justify them? ;)

Works for me...
eeps.gif

http://www.coates3.com/modules/gallery2/d/19043-2/IMG_0409.jpg

I agree with pdxflint - if the goal of the vacation is to harvest photos, then the vacation will revolve around that activity. If it's to spend time with family and friends, then a point & shoot is perfectly appropriate and very handy for capturing memories.

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
I have a P&S and a SLR (1D MkII complete with 70-200 IS and 17-40L) and I find that I take the SLR and lenses out more often than the P&S, even when the P&S would be more practical and do just as good a job. If I think about it I also take my laptop with me too. Nothing like travelling light.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
oooh, your post just gave me the "warm and fuzzies"... :eek:

right on...

:D

Glad to hear it...;) Thanks.

I have a P&S and a SLR (1D MkII complete with 70-200 IS and 17-40L) and I find that I take the SLR and lenses out more often than the P&S, even when the P&S would be more practical and do just as good a job. If I think about it I also take my laptop with me too. Nothing like travelling light.

If I had the nice equipment you have, I'd be in a serious 'photographer' mode a lot of the time...;) But, as I mentioned above, when I'm in that zone, I'm not with a companion - I'm working. If I'm just exploring someplace on foot I often like to be more incognito as I look for pictures. At those times, my objective isn't necessarily a great, or even interesting photograph, but the ability to actually take one if I see a reason to. It can be fun, and actually challenging to push the limits of a little piece of pocket technology when the mood to start taking photos hits because of the spontaneous nature of a tiny camera in a coat pocket. It's always a trade off. When I just pack my regular camera bag/backpack around with me now, unless I have an idea in mind it is more of a burden. When I worked for a living with my camera, this was just the opposite - the bag full of gear was my lifeline. It's who I was...and I felt naked without it. Funny how times change. It's still all about the 'mission,' I guess.

Milfin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Great replies guys.
I thought I was losing my mind when I got home and started loading everything on my computer. I realized that I just wasn't using the SLR.
For this trip I bought a brand new crumpler bag packed my 40D carried a 70-300MM IS USM and 17-85 MM EF-S.

Looking back I guess my mood was with spending one and one time with the kids. I guess that's why the SLR took the back seat and my wife was taking most of the photos with the P&S.

Thanks for all of your replies.

hector

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Cheltenham, UK
If I had the nice equipment you have, I'd be in a serious 'photographer' mode a lot of the time...;) But, as I mentioned above, when I'm in that zone, I'm not with a companion - I'm working. If I'm just exploring someplace on foot I often like to be more incognito as I look for pictures. At those times, my objective isn't necessarily a great, or even interesting photograph, but the ability to actually take one if I see a reason to. It can be fun, and actually challenging to push the limits of a little piece of pocket technology when the mood to start taking photos hits because of the spontaneous nature of a tiny camera in a coat pocket. It's always a trade off. When I just pack my regular camera bag/backpack around with me now, unless I have an idea in mind it is more of a burden. When I worked for a living with my camera, this was just the opposite - the bag full of gear was my lifeline. It's who I was...and I felt naked without it. Funny how times change. It's still all about the 'mission,' I guess.

Interesting stuff.
Funny how people still maintain there is no point in those who are serious about photography using smaller DSLR systems. I remember everyone saying how there is going to be no demand for micro 4/3rds when we were talking about that.

In my opinion, these small DSLR set-ups really come into their own in the sort of situation you are describing, when it can be a pain to lug around lots of camera gear. Last year I travelled around NYC, Washington DC, Toronto, Niagara and a few other places with just my D40 and the kit lens over my shoulder, and came away with some shots I was very happy with but without it being too much of a burden to carry around.
Got some great long exposure shots without a tripod just by balancing on whatever was handy (example 1, example 2), and took the camera with me wherever we went at minimal inconvenience. It took quite a lot of abuse as I don't have a case/bag, and got soaking wet at Niagara Falls without any apparent side affects. Because it's a relatively inexpensive piece of equipment, I wasn't too worried about it getting nicked or breaking it.

I reckon a small DSLR can be a great middle ground between a bag full of pro gear and a P&S :)

taytho

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2005
KC, MO
Great replies guys.
I thought I was losing my mind when I got home and started loading everything on my computer. I realized that I just wasn't using the SLR.
For this trip I bought a brand new crumpler bag packed my 40D carried a 70-300MM IS USM and 17-85 MM EF-S.

Looking back I guess my mood was with spending one and one time with the kids. I guess that's why the SLR took the back seat and my wife was taking most of the photos with the P&S.

Thanks for all of your replies.

while i also love taking photos... it can't be more important than just BEING there. If all you have from the trip is photos but no memories what is the point. If the point and shoot is what you can shoot as well as spend time with your kids and have a good time then shoot the PnS. If you can factor in the dslr that is great but never at the expense of living in the moment. you dont owe that camera anything... it works for you - you dont work for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.