Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manosaurus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Here's what I need to do:

I need to take the famous pic of Jimi Hendrix kneeling over his buring guitar and replace the guitar with a flaming Apple notebook.

Right now all I have is iPhoto. Will that work for this? I looked for other free photo editing applications on the forums here and found something called GIMP. Will that work? I have never edited an image before but I am sure I can figure it out.

TIA

sohosid

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2006
Portland
Never used Gimp. Doubt iPhoto can handle that.

Photoshop is your beast. Bit expensive for a one off though.

Make sure you get permission to use that Hendrix shot though if you plan of displaying the images anywhere.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Right now all I have is iPhoto. Will that work for this? I looked for other free photo editing applications on the forums here and found something called GIMP. Will that work?
TIA

Yes Gimp is made for doing stuff like that.

The "standard" application for this type of work is Photoshop CS2. Gimp is a lot like PS. But PS costs about $600. If you want to buy something get Photoshop Elements. It sells for about $80 and has all the features you need. But gimp is free.

Not a chance of doing this with iPhoto. iPhoto is not an image editor, it's for making small tweaks and cataloging images.

If you go to http://www.gimp.org you can find links some other gimp derived software that is more mac-like than gimp but these always lag in features and bug fixes. Also you can find links to books that describe Gimp. The availability of third party books and tutorials is the best argument for using Gimp over it's ports. At least one of the books is available on-line as a (huge) PDF file.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Seashore is Gimp.

It's just Gimp ported to the native Mac graphic system. One disadvantage of Seashore is that it is a port of an older version of Gimp.
I disagree, it uses the same file format and icons, but it much, much, much less powerful. if there was a cocoa or even carbon port of the true GIMP, I'd be the most grateful person ever. unfortunately, there simply isn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.