Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wys

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2021
I have been using a Mac Mini 2012 as a file server. I upgraded the storage to a four disk HFS+ RAID10 array in an [external RAID enclosure](https://www.newegg.com/orico-3559rus3-bk/p/0VN-0003-00023?Item=9SIA1DS0CD0629) via macOS Disk Utility. However, I have had a lot of trouble with the storage device; it keeps ejecting itself after some random length of time, usually 2-5 days. I have tried everything I can think of to get it to stop ejecting itself, I am at the point where I want to just put the hard drives in some other device to hold the RAID array.

Problem is, I have no clue what is the best place to migrate these drives to. I feel like any other USB RAID enclosure is going to be as much a gamble as this one was.

I considered trying to dig up a Mac Pro on eBay so that I could have them attached via SATA and not USB, but the power draw on a Mac Pro is gonna be >20x what my Mac Mini pulls, and the only really "affordable" Mac's are all ancient and falling out of OS support.

Any suggestions? Is there some reliable RAID enclosure I can get? Or should I go the Mac Pro route? Or something else?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.