Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reimerd10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2007
I have many old slides and pictures that I would love to have in my iPhoto library. For most of my pictures I also have the negatives. I'm looking for a scanner that can make my dreams come true.

I've seen a few products but was wondering if anybody here had any experience doing this and / or advice as to what brand and model they could recommend.

Also, is it better to scan the negative or a print? Some of the prints are damaged where the negative is still good but other prints are undamaged.

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
It's by far better to scan the negative. You didn't mention what format, but I'll assume 35mm is all. I'd suggest the Nikon Coolscan V ED. It's going to run upwards of $500 I think, but after you finish scanning everything you can always sell it. Unless you still shoot film that is.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Another vote for Nikon Coolscan V ED: simple to use and terrific results. You're always better off going back to the source: slides and negs, rather than prints. A fine-grained 35mm slide holds a remarkable amount of information...

Photomax

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2007
Seattle
If you live near a major city then check professional camera stores that also have a rental counter. Here in Seattle I am able to rent a Nikon 5000 ED for the weekend for like $40. You can then scan away, dumping the scans into a folder for later editing...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.