Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Christiangaz777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
So basically I’ve had ever iPhone since iPhone 5, am currently on 7. Plus was never really an option for me due to price, now I find myself bored and stuck.

The only way to go from here is bigger. I wouldn’t upgrade to an 8, from a 7 there isn’t really much point. I have considered a 8 plus, because of the 1080p and increased pixels.

Then there is the new Xr, it is or was slightly tempting, because of the size of the display, the wireless charging and potentially better cellular chip, don’t really know about that or not.

And here we go, they bring it to you, that it is 256 pixels per inch, the same as the iPhone 6.

I don’t know what to do, my iPhone is devaluing by the minute, do I go for an 8 plus? Or do I stick with the boring 7.

Or should I try and get a refurb x from somewhere. I really don’t know.

All I know is I want to stay with apple, but it’s becoming less of a smart decision as I’m spending too much money.

What do you reckon?

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
So basically I’ve had ever iPhone since iPhone 5, am currently on 7. Plus was never really an option for me due to price, now I find myself bored and stuck.

The only way to go from here is bigger. I wouldn’t upgrade to an 8, from a 7 there isn’t really much point. I have considered a 8 plus, because of the 1080p and increased pixels.

Then there is the new Xr, it is or was slightly tempting, because of the size of the display, the wireless charging and potentially better cellular chip, don’t really know about that or not.

And here we go, they bring it to you, that it is 256 pixels per inch, the same as the iPhone 6.

I don’t know what to do, my iPhone is devaluing by the minute, do I go for an 8 plus? Or do I stick with the boring 7.

Or should I try and get a refurb x from somewhere. I really don’t know.

All I know is I want to stay with apple, but it’s becoming less of a smart decision as I’m spending too much money.

What do you reckon?

I wouldnt get an Xr. But thats just me. If you don't like the + size phones. I would just buy a X. You can get them new for cheaper right now as well.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
If an X is an option, now is the perfect time to buy a used one for a good price, around $700 or less I'd say. Check Swappa, they have a ton there.

And overall I'm feeling the same as you. I know I want the Xs Max but I don't know which configuration, I'm confused and worried I'll make the wrong choice and the prices don't help.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
now I find myself bored and stuck.
If you're buying the phone out of boredom, then I suggest a re-evaluation of your priorities. These cost so much money, that I think people should upgrade only when they need too. The iPhone 7 is a great phone.

What does the X do that the 7 doesn't and do you need/want those features?

Reactions: Newtons Apple

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
Not sure where you obtained your information about the PPI on the XR from, but according to Apple's website it is 326 PPI. Still a far cry from the 458 PPI that the Xs has, but it's more than 256.

I personally always go for the flagship model when upgrading, so that would mean Xs, if that is feasible for you. Otherwise, you can maybe get a deal on a X which is much similar. I'm sure if you trade in your 7, you should be able to recoup around $200 for it, depending on storage size and condition.

I also wouldn't go XR.

Christiangaz777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
Not sure where you obtained your information about the PPI on the XR from, but according to Apple's website it is 326 PPI. Still a far cry from the 458 PPI that the Xs has, but it's more than 256.

I personally always go for the flagship model when upgrading, so that would mean Xs, if that is feasible for you. Otherwise, you can maybe get a deal on a X which is much similar. I'm sure if you trade in your 7, you should be able to recoup around $200 for it, depending on storage size and condition.

I also wouldn't go XR.
Yeah I made a mistake it’s 326 PPI
[doublepost=1536848154][/doublepost]
If you're buying the phone out of boredom, then I suggest a re-evaluation of your priorities. These cost so much money, that I think people should upgrade only when they need too. The iPhone 7 is a great phone.

When I say I’m bored, I’m bored of the bezels, I’m bored of the same experience, also I’m bored with the cellular modem on the 7, it’s pants, and that isn’t a carrier issue.

Also I would like an increase in battery, I’ve got a dozen battery packs and lightning cables, I am used to the charge from one pocket to another as I’m always out and about.

I do have an iPhone battery case but that barely charges from 30 to 100 when I’m using the phone with it on.
[doublepost=1536848359][/doublepost]
If an X is an option, now is the perfect time to buy a used one for a good price, around $700 or less I'd say. Check Swappa, they have a ton there.

And overall I'm feeling the same as you. I know I want the Xs Max but I don't know which configuration, I'm confused and worried I'll make the wrong choice and the prices don't help.
I’m in the UK, I like the idea of buying new, in case anything went wrong, the screen can be a problem, I’ve heard of a few burn outs on second hand X’s

I was thinking 8 plus, but would it be enough of an experience to upgrade from a 7, I also like the width side to side compared to the X, it’s easier to type. Also bearing in mind Face ID, I’d probably want second GEN Face ID but not gonna pay those prices.

The Xr in blue is my jam though, love that colour, it’s gonna take more than flashy colours to make a decision though
[doublepost=1536848541][/doublepost]I

Im gonna upgrade at some point, I’ve lost £50 of value since the event, on the value of my iPhone 7. I’m not gonna keep that forever, I usually upgrade every 2 years, this year I don’t have much of an option to

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
When I say I’m bored, I’m bored of the bezels, I’m bored of the same experience, also I’m bored with the cellular modem on the 7, it’s pants, and that isn’t a carrier issue.

Also I would like an increase in battery, I’ve got a dozen battery packs and lightning cables, I am used to the charge from one pocket to another as I’m always out and about.

I do have an iPhone battery case but that barely charges from 30 to 100 when I’m using the phone with it on.
That's my point. You're bored, and spending 1,000 dollars on a phone that essentially does the same thing as the 7 will not help you. Perhaps I take a different tact, but the iPhone is a phone, pure and simple. Now that the iPhone is a mature product, differences between models are getting less pronounced.

There are improvements between the 7 and X, don't get me wrong, but overall what you do on the x can by and large be done on the 7. So what if the bezels are thinner on the X, does that really matter?

Christiangaz777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
That's my point. You're bored, and spending 1,000 dollars on a phone that essentially does the same thing as the 7 will not help you. Perhaps I take a different tact, but the iPhone is a phone, pure and simple. Now that the iPhone is a mature product, differences between models are getting less pronounced.

There are improvements between the 7 and X, don't get me wrong, but overall what you do on the x can by and large be done on the 7. So what if the bezels are thinner on the X, does that really matter?
Maybe I just want to enjoy my life, and also maybe I want better battery. The external battery option is not working out for me as either they die out over time, or the cables fray easily. You have a point though, I need to be smart with my money, I wouldn’t spend £1000 on a phone though, I never said that. Then again, after holding an X two weeks go I almost did buy it, I managed to fight off that temptation

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Your iPhone might be devalueing but it still holds a better resell value compared to Android. If you’re just itching to spend money, you can get a battery replacement. With iOS 12 almost out, you will enjoy a performance boost and you probably can keep the device longer to stretch your $ worth a few more years. If you need a justification to buy a new iPhone, get the latest with gigabit LTE with 4x4 MIMO and second generation chips.

Christiangaz777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
Your iPhone might be devalueing but it still holds a better resell value compared to Android. If you’re just itching to spend money, you can get a battery replacement. With iOS 12 almost out, you will enjoy a performance boost and you probably can keep the device longer to stretch your $ worth a few more years. If you need a justification to buy a new iPhone, get the latest with gigabit LTE with 4x4 MIMO and second generation chips.
Settings says my battery health is 80%. So it’s clear the battery life on this phone is pants. I’m not gonna spend £1000 on a phone

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I think you should just get an 8 or 8+. Sure, same experience, but different cellular modems I believe at least, so that solves one problem. Plus the 8 is just so much nicer than the 7 with the glass back IMO.

Christiangaz777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
I think you should just get an 8 or 8+. Sure, same experience, but different cellular modems I believe at least, so that solves one problem. Plus the 8 is just so much nicer than the 7 with the glass back IMO.
Kinda feels that is the way to go. Depends if I can get 300 for my 7, I won’t be selling it to apple or a reseller. Who knows Black Friday night bring some good deals
[doublepost=1536909076][/doublepost]And it would feel less of a waste of money

Christiangaz777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
It’s good to get everyone’s opinion, we all use our phones for different reasons and have different purposes for them.

So it’s good to get different opinions, whether it’s the smart option, the in between or the downright stupid.

I’ve mostly heard the smart option, I haven’t really heard the option if I have a case for my reason of upgrade. I’m not gonna keep my 7 forever.

So I’ll see what Black Friday brings, or if any retailers discount the iPhone X. They ain’t just gonna stockpile them are they?

I think an Xr is out of the question, it’s probably a toss up between the 8 plus and the X, I welcome any more help in my decision. Has anyone noticed a difference in cell quality on the 8 plus or X compared to older models?

If I tell my carrier they would say you can’t be having the issue in every area, and around and around that goes. I’ve had iPhones replaced in the past due to cell signal, again I don’t use my phone to call an awful lot, but when I do and when I receive calls the quality is pants

Christiangaz777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
I’m not sure if anyone can tell me the cellular modems are different, if the 8 is also using the intel it will be pants

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.