Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeschmeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Hello,

I am in a bit of a pickle here. I just shot some photos of some parts of my car along with some smoke that I was experimenting with. I shot all the photos in RAW and now CS2 will not open them? I just get a message saying

"Could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file"

I never had this problem before with my D40 but this is the first time I shot some photos with my D90 in RAW and now its causing issues?
I'm taking a guess and it has something to do with the Nikon software that came with the camera perhaps? (ViewNX and Nikon Transfer)

Which reminds me, why do I need to use Nikon Transfer in the first place. My D40 just opened up like a external HDD and I just copied and pasted them into whatever folder I choose.

Anyways.. Anyone ever encounter this issue before? How do I make CS2 open up my RAW photos?

Please and thank you very much!

Cheers
Mike

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
What version of the Camera Raw plugin do you have installed? You need the latest for CS2, version 3.7 for the D40 to be supported. It sounds like you're using an older version.
Edit: I see that you're using a D90. There's no support in CS2 for the D90; you'll need to download the Adobe DNG converter and convert your D90 files to DNG in order to open them in CS2.

mikeschmeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
What version of the Camera Raw plugin do you have installed? You need the latest for CS2, version 3.7 for the D40 to be supported. It sounds like you're using an older version.
Edit: I see that you're using a D90. There's no support in CS2 for the D90; you'll need to download the Adobe DNG converter and convert your D90 files to DNG in order to open them in CS2.

Yes I know. I figured that out yesterday. I have Camera Raw 3.7
It's a bit disappointing just causes more work to convert the files instead of dragging them into Photoshop but I guess it'll have to do. I cannot afford a new Photoshop version.

Thanks for the help!
:D

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It's a bit disappointing just causes more work to convert the files instead of dragging them into Photoshop but I guess it'll have to do. I cannot afford a new Photoshop version.

Make sure that when you do the DNG conversion you embed the original raw file in it; that way, when in the future you can upgrade, you can extract the original file back out if you wish.

mikeschmeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Make sure that when you do the DNG conversion you embed the original raw file in it; that way, when in the future you can upgrade, you can extract the original file back out if you wish.

Oh I didn't know that! Thanks! :D

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I knew you could embed the original raw into the DNG, but I was under the impression it would only be accessible to Adobe programs that could "find" the original file. I had no idea it could be extracted back out to be used with other programs. I'm off to check this out for myself...

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I knew you could embed the original raw into the DNG, but I was under the impression it would only be accessible to Adobe programs that could "find" the original file. I had no idea it could be extracted back out to be used with other programs. I'm off to check this out for myself...
You use the DNG Converter itself to extract the originals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.