Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Archerious

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
Texas
Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 3.21.14 AM.png

I do not have an external monitor, only the built in iMac display.

Tried going to Netflix support and the agent kept insisting it must be my HDMI or VGA cable, no matter how many times I attempted to explain the lad just seems to not get it. The second agent over the phone wasn't any better.

The steps I've done so far:

Cleared cookies and cache, then restarted safari, no dice.

Did the above then restarted iMac, then tried to watch Netflix, still not working.

What else can I try?

Big Sir 11.1 and Safari 14.0.2 - Error S7336.

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 3.46.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 3.46.42 AM.png

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
I've had something similar in the past.
My solution was to download another browser until it eventually just fixed itself in an update.
I never found out what was causing it myself.
You could try Safari Technology preview if you want to stick to Safari but Firefox is great and Chrome is probably the most compatible with everything streaming (I don't like anything from Google myself however).
If it doesn't work on any of them then it might at least give you more info but it's likely it will and will be a work around until the problem magically goes away.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
My iMac is running the same software the OP has (macOS 11.1, Safari 14.0.2). I have had no problems with Netflix (just tried again to be sure).

If you do a Google search on 'error code S7336' you will find various discussions on the subject, including with the apple support community, which indicates that this is a problem others have had. I didn't spend time reading those various articles and posts but the fix to the problem may be found there.

The suggestion to try another browser is also a good idea. I keep multiple browsers available on my iMac, and use them when I have difficulties with a particular website that does not seem to work perfectly with Safari, which is my primary browser (Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Brave).

The Phazer

macrumors 68040
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Try using edge or chrome

I mean, they'll fix the playback issue but only because they don't support full HD at all on a Mac so HDCP will stop being a problem.

It's not a real fix.

So OP your iMac is a T2 enabled one? Seems like the update has ****ed verification of the video path somehow. I don't think anything short of an Apple issued fix is going to sort that tbh. A full factory reset might but I can understand that's unpalatable.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I do not have an external monitor, only the built in iMac display.

Tried going to Netflix support and the agent kept insisting it must be my HDMI or VGA cable, no matter how many times I attempted to explain the lad just seems to not get it. The second agent over the phone wasn't any better.

The steps I've done so far:

Cleared cookies and cache, then restarted safari, no dice.

Did the above then restarted iMac, then tried to watch Netflix, still not working.

What else can I try?

Big Sir 11.1 and Safari 14.0.2 - Error S7336.
Do you have SIP disabled? I wouldn't think that has an effect, but if SIP is disabled try enabling it to see if anything changes.

Airsculpture

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2020
My iMac works as long as I don't have the sound going to my receiver ( I use USBC from the output on the iMac to a HDMI on the receiver ).

If I unplug that and launch Safari, it plays with audio and video on the iMac. If I have sound going to the receiver, Netflix thinks I'm sending video as well and gives the error. Weird.

Even weirder, other browsers work with the cable plugged in so it seems down to a combination of Safari and Netflix

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.