Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Did anybody else catch this yet? Both me and the wife really dug it. We kind of thought it was a nice melding of genres and we both really liked the cop who was also Orc.

I won't go into to many spoilers, yet...

From my understanding the budget was pretty big for this so hopefully it pays off. I could see a part two of this.

Trailer:

Last edited:
Reactions: B's iPhone

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
It was entertaining. The wife and I liked it.

We were super bummed when:

When the Orc was thrown into the pit and died. Like I mentioned above, we really liked his character and were super bummed when it happened.

I could so see the elves living how they do since they have that air about them, especially if they are based off of the LOTR elves. Which is what I saw them as.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I am neutral about it. I felt like it was a variation of Alien Nation. My initial impression was negative, but then it grew on me a bit. :)

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
I am neutral about it. I felt like it was a variation of Alien Nation. My initial impression was negative, but then it grew on me a bit. :)

I can see the Alien Nation connection, especially with the way the main orc cop looked and at times acted and by the end of the movie they get to know each other and actually like each other.

We watched it a second time and to us, it held up and was just as good.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
A sequel was confirmed earlier this month.

OH! I missed that! Very cool!

Just googled it and here is an article I found from Variety Magazine:

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/bright-sequel-netflix-1202651949/

Following the success of “Bright,” Netflix is moving forward with a sequel. Will Smith and Joel Edgerton are attached to reprise their roles, with David Ayer returning to write and direct the second installment.

Writer Max Landis won’t be back for the next film. Eric Newman and Bryan Unkeless are set as producers.

Netflix teased the announcement with a video of orcs auditioning for the sequel. The characters have been a significant component of the film’s promotions.

“ANNOUNCEMENT: Orc auditions for the @BrightNetflix sequel are now closed. Thank you. Have a nice day,” the official Netflix account tweeted.

Reactions: whooleytoo

BernyMac

macrumors regular
May 18, 2015
USA
I really liked the world building aspect of the show and how the supernatural elements and mythical creatures are part of the world since the beginning and not something new that humans are just now dealing with. The dragon flyby was cool.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
I really liked the world building aspect of the show and how the supernatural elements and mythical creatures are part of the world since the beginning and not something new that humans are just now dealing with. The dragon flyby was cool.

First thing we thought of was LOTR or GOT when we say it. Agreed it was pretty cool. Very subtle to boot.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I had low expectations considersing in my mind Netflix is the new "straight to dvd" but was pleasantly surprised.

Definitely wasn't as corny as I thought it was going to be.

Training day meets Lord of the Rings. There are literally some direct Training Day plot points.

Good job. Can't wait for part 2.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I had low expectations considersing in my mind Netflix is the new "straight to dvd" but was pleasantly surprised.

Definitely wasn't as corny as I thought it was going to be.

Training day meets Lord of the Rings. There are literally some direct Training Day plot points.

Good job. Can't wait for part 2.
I would not compare this to Training Day (about a corrupt cop)... at all. :)

RedKite

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2017
I know it's cool to dislike this movie but I actually really enjoyed it. It was silly and I'd like to see more of its universe.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I couldn't make it past the first 20 minutes of the movie
Perhaps it got really good, but I wasn't compelled to even find out
I watched the first half hour and didn't really get into it and stopped. But then gave it a try again a week or so later and watched the rest of the movie and found to be alright, not great or anything, but also not bad basically.

Centaurr

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2015
Florida
i really liked it, its superb. it reminds me of Alien nation, oops i think i just said my age with that comment lol

ZStech

Suspended
Feb 3, 2019
Did anybody else catch this yet? Both me and the wife really dug it. We kind of thought it was a nice melding of genres and we both really liked the cop who was also Orc.

I won't go into to many spoilers, yet...

From my understanding the budget was pretty big for this so hopefully it pays off. I could see a part two of this.

Trailer:

I have watched it some time ago. One of the movies that I can watch again :)

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.