Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DN2292

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2021
My router was on the fritz so yesterday I purchased a Netgear R6900v2, so far the performance is far less on my wireless apple devices than my apple airpport extreme 802.11ac. my apple tv's, iPads, phones all have good signal but are running seriously slower speeds.

what am I either misunderstanding or not setting up correctly? I have gigabit internet, desktop is ethernet and sitting right at gig speed naturally. my network has been thorughly thoughtout but I have had my last router for many years so......

Even sitting right next to router the iPad is a 1/4 of the speed that it was on last router at exact same spot. and yes I played with the new router location :)

Thanks so much, I look forward to your input.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
What problems are you having on the AirPort?

I have a thread around about my experience last year when trying a highly rated, expensive mesh Wifi system to replace my 6th gen AirPort Extreme that I was having issues with.

Normally, I would troubleshoot my equipment before buying something new, but I didn't think time mostly due to the age of the AirPort.

Long story short, I had the same problems with my Mesh system that I had with the AirPort, but only worse, and some new problems that I didn't have before.

I was getting slower speeds with the brand new mesh system than I was on the 7 year old AirPort.

I spent many hours with many levels of Linksys tech support, but was not able to fix the issues.

If I would have troubleshooted my AirPort, I would have determined that the 2.4GHz band in my area was congested.

I did a factory reset, then separated the two bands by renaming the 5GHz band name, and moved all my devices that I could to the 5GHz band. There was a few devices that was 2.4GHz only, like my Ecobee thermostat for example.

After doing that, all the problems with my AirPort Extreme were gone. My speeds were much faster on my AirPort than the Linksys Velop Tri-band.

I am not saying that will help you, but it might be worth looking into.

Also, a friend of mine called me a few weeks ago asking for help troubleshooting is AirPort Extreme and advice on a new router to buy. He was having similar issues with slow, inconsistent speeds, and without troubleshooting anything, I fixed his issues by telling him how to separate his 2.4 and 5GHz band.

DN2292

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2021
The airport just drops all net(wired&wireless) for 15-20 sec’s then its back, thought it was my provider til they came out and replaced everything to the house. Still problem so it’s router, and now w/ netgear problem gone but wireless sucks w/ all my devices.

will Check w/ the frequencies :)

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
Any new insights? I'm thinking another option for you could be a used Airport Extreme from Ebay, but this doesn't fix the eventual craving you're going to have for actual/true 1gb over ethernet that a newer model of router should be able to do and the AE supposedly cannot.

DN2292

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2021
Ya know I returned the netgear and rebuilt the A1521 with new fan and it’s running great! Waiting on new power supply to arrive currently and it will be a new unit :)

I picked up another A1521 for pennies and will do the same treatment to it and put it at other end of house cuz laying some Cat6 in crawl space and will have a kicking setup for cray cray cheap!!

Regarding the true 1Gbs speed over ethernet, my machine is clocked regularly right at gigabit speed....maybe I’m just fortunate.

Reactions: Euroamerican

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
I've gone down the rabbit hole of "too much research" to find the perfect wireless router that has coverage for 2000 square feet and also verified gigabit ethernet capacity and have come away wanting to just stick with my current Airport Extreme. I think I'm going to pull a new ethernet cable for my wife's PCs hooked to a conventional gigabit ethernet router in her at-home office.. If that doesn't work, then "hmmmm".....

DN2292

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2021
I think I'm going to pull a new ethernet cable for my wife's PCs hooked to a conventional gigabit ethernet router in her at-home office.. If that doesn't work, then "hmmmm"....
This is the reason for my 2nd A1521, for our second at-home office terminal. So I figured if I’m going to do it then might as well do it right!

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
Hello DN2292,

So I'm re-reading this thread and have a question: Are you getting 1 gigabit throughput on your Mac attached via ethernet directly to the "first" Airport Extreme, the one attached through its WAN port to the router? I would be interested to see what you get once you attach via ethernet to the second AE once you've got that installed.

DN2292

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2021
Rodger dodger you are correct...Will keep you updated. I have all the stuff to sling the cable now just have to make time to get dirty. Oh and preferably not rain a few days in a row:rolleyes:

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
I pulled a 75-foot run in my crawl space in the winter, and I was glad it was not after any recent rains. Did find a few dried up old dead mice but did NOT meet any spiders or big bugs. I will have to see if I took any iPhotos!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.