Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
That is so stupid for MacBooks. It also removes a nice debug feature for network trouble.
Even Windows has a comparable feature!

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Still missing. The Apple Menu shows a Locations menu item for any that are set up. You can select them and go to Network Settings to configure them. But you have to use the command line to create, delete, or rename.

• Sad
Reactions: chabig and Nermal

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
Do manual DNS addresses attach to separate wifi networks (as they do on iOS/iPadOS) or do they still attach at a wifi adapter level? I used Locations as a workaround for this.

Thanks @haralds for the workaround

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
As a workaround, in terminal, run:

networksetup -createlocation test with populate

Replace "test" with your choice of name. Then, in the Apple menu there'll be a new "Location" menu (underneath "System Settings...") and you can switch to your new location. After that, going into the settings allows you to set all the networking stuff (DHCP, DNS etc.) as you wish.

There's no way to see the location in System Settings (as we know, it's missing) but at least you can now create and edit locations this way. I suspect Ventura will go live with this bug still present. Not to mention the Applescript bugs I've had for months.

Apple isn't about creating a smooth OS, but one full of gimmicky features. Oh, hi Stage Manager! (If they ever take away Spaces, I'll switch OSes.)

Edit: Made the code stand out and to say that yes Ventura did in fact go live with this bug. Also in the new 13.1 beta.

Last edited:
Reactions: chabig

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Still missing. The Apple Menu shows a Locations menu item for any that are set up. You can select them and go to Network Settings to configure them. But you have to use the command line to create, delete, or rename.
Run this by me once more.... Im on 13.0 now and I see them in the Apple menu, but I see nowhere to do any configuration, delete etc. How does this work???

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Run this by me once more.... Im on 13.0 now and I see them in the Apple menu, but I see nowhere to do any configuration, delete etc. How does this work???
It only shows when you have two (or more) locations defined.

Run the terminal command given in a previous post to create a new location (use the "with populate" option as shown) and then you can see the menu item appear, and switch locations, edit them etc..

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
It only shows when you have two (or more) locations defined.

Run the terminal command given in a previous post to create a new location (use the "with populate" option as shown) and then you can see the menu item appear, and switch locations, edit them etc..
Ok did that and removed 3 extraneous locations, but now I still see Locations with just Automatic in the list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.