Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
I'm new to Mac OS, and still trying to find my way around.
This evening I was working from home, and needed to ping one of our servers. For love or money, I couldn't find a command prompt (equivalent).

After search on Google, results shows it should be in Applications \ Utilities and Network Utility.
Well, on my MacOS Sierra 10.12, that isn't the case. I had to search deep in the System folder. Once found, I placed an icon on my desktop.

But, what is the better way to find apps like this?

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
Personally I would just CMD Spacebar to bring up spotlight and search the app name. Or now thanks to Sierra you could just ask SIRI.

Reactions: circatee

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Once an app is loaded, in this case you're looking for terminal.app you can drag it from the loaded-in-dock position to the spot in the dock where you want to find it again next time.

or, if not opened, inside finder, pick it up and drop it on the dock where you want it, it will put the icon there, so next time you click it, it opens terminal for you.

Unlike windows btw, if you 'ping' someone, it won't auto stop after 4 pings. Control + C will cancel the ping when you're ready.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
The funny thing was, it wasn't till I quickly needed to ping a server I even thought about Command Prompt and pinging. And then the frustration to find it in a haste. Yep, Mac and Windows, Apples and Oranges! LMAO

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
I keep an alias to the App in my utilities folder.
There's a couple other goodies hidden in ...Core Services/Applications

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Network Utility used to be in the Utilities directory. For some reason it ended up in the /System directory. This CoreServices/Applications directory is really the only exception you need to know. The rest of your applications are where they should be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.