Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlbinoPigeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Hi There,

I've been searching all morning for a software solution that would allow my and my workmates to access a shared database of photos, allow shared tagging, and maybe even allow people to download a photo, work on it, and then sync it to the network again.

Ideally it would be an aperture/lightroom type of solution, only networked. If people are familiar with Final Cut Pro, something like what Apple has done for accessing networked video files and keeping track of shared work flows would be excellent...only for digital photos!

The solution would need to be cross platform (PC/Mac), and be accessable either through an internal network, or via the web (but through a software client, Flickr is our backup for a web-based solution in case we can't find anything...)

Any help would be awesome, thanks!!

EDIT: By the way, we don't have the money to deploy thousand-dollar solutions like Canto or Extensis servers...

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi There,

I've been searching all morning for a software solution that would allow my and my workmates to access a shared database of photos...

Apple's "Final Cut Server" is really an asset manager. It's not just for video but does what you are asking for

Adobe's "Version Cue Server", is accessed via Bridge and I think does what you want. Version Cue is bundled with Creative Suite.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
FotoWare's FotoStation software is exactly what you need. Shared library across a network with real-time updating, Windows & Mac compatibility.

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
I would think you'd want to stick with Photoshop for the actual image editing. You just need the management solution to find the file and pass it off to Photoshop, then update the database when the file is saved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.