Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
Not sure if this is the correct place for this post, but...

I have an iMac (late 2015, i5, 16GB memory, and a 2TB fusion drive), and a Windows 10 computer.
Both units have a gigabit NIC.

When transferring data between the two, the highest speed I notice is around 850-860 MBs.
Shouldn't I get more than that?

Thanks in advance

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
The speeds you're getting are absolutely fine. Gigabit is up to 1000Mb/s, but as with any connection, you're never ever going to 100% saturate it. There are so many different factors as well — the size of the files you're transferring, the number of files, the cable, the speed of the computer(s), the OS/driver version, background networking tasks...

850Mb/s isn't bad at all; I'd take it. I'd probably be concerned if it was consistently transferring far below 70MB/s. If you're looking to speed it up, it'll take a lot of effort and troubleshooting for very little reward (2MB/s extra here, 2MB/s there...)

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
...good point. Same situation with a hard drive. You never get the true drive size for full use.
Maybe during the transfers I was doing, prior to even testing the gigabit speeds, etc., the data was 'rough', and thus causing the transfer to be much slower (in the 200-300 MB/s).

Thanks for the input.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Those speeds are normal, You'll probably not get anything faster due to the overhead. You could mess with the packet size, set up a high speed switch, go to fiber, etc, etc but in the end, you're facing diminishing returns.

Reactions: cynics and circatee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.