Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

punter7768

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2016
Hello,

I've searched the site, but can't find a similar situation...

I purchased a late 2012 mac min, quad core with 4 gb ram and 1 TB hard drive. The ebay seller claimed it was "overstock" and was brand new, never used, never open in the original packaging.

Questions:
How can I verify it was never used?
Is there some kind of utility I can run to check previous use?
Is this a common scam; someone will take their old mac mini, stick it in packaging and reshrink wrap?
Is there something I can do to verify health of the mac mini?
Is there a website I can go to check the serial number to see if it was stolen or previously repaired?

It did come with in packaging, and it was shrink wrapped. I'm just a little suspect.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Did it have the plastic wrap on the Mini itself (not just shrink-wrap on the box)? I seem to recall my refurbished Mini had that plastic on it similar to what the iPhone, iPad and MBP come with, you have to tear a sticker agreeing to the EULA as you unwrap the unit.

punter7768

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2016
yes, on the inside, the mac mini was wrapped in a plastic with a sticker seal...but it was easy enough to keep the sticker intact by opening from the other side.

Let's presume that it was actually a used mac mini. if the previous owner wiped the drive and reinstalled the original OS, does that mean that there is no way for me to see previous logs or evidence of use?

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Hello,

I've searched the site, but can't find a similar situation...

I purchased a late 2012 mac min, quad core with 4 gb ram and 1 TB hard drive. The ebay seller claimed it was "overstock" and was brand new, never used, never open in the original packaging.

Questions:
How can I verify it was never used?
Is there some kind of utility I can run to check previous use?
Is this a common scam; someone will take their old mac mini, stick it in packaging and reshrink wrap?
Is there something I can do to verify health of the mac mini?
Is there a website I can go to check the serial number to see if it was stolen or previously repaired?

It did come with in packaging, and it was shrink wrapped. I'm just a little suspect.

Why on earth does it matter? You've purchased the machine, now move on. Use it.

Reactions: sparkie1984

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
I want to agree with Micky Do and say, Equi donati dentes non inspiciuntur. (Never look a gift horse in the mouth.) Because for the right price, a stock quad core 2012 is that proverbial pony. ;)

But maybe the OP is concerned or curious about the warranty. In that case, punter7768 can check here:
https://checkcoverage.apple.com :apple:

Just plug your serial number in and this page will tell the story. If it is new or refurbished then the serial number will be fresh and unused. :D

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
FWIW, I bought a refurb 2012 quad-core i7 Mini Server last year from Apple (this has nothing to with this thread...). While I was searching, B&H Photo offered several of the same Mac on their website, but I missed out as others bought them first. B&H also was selling i5 and i7 Minis at the same time. All were advertised as "brand new" and as NOS (new old stock), so the OP's seller could have been passing on one of those Macs. I have one in our company's back room as an emergency back up that's never been unwrapped, in case we opt for newer tech and choose to sell it. Just saying...

Reactions: Celerondon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.