Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshuaad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
I don't understand why Apple authorizes resellers that have zero return policy or customer satisfaction guarantees, especially on hardware and more significant purchases.

I just found out the reseller I ordered a new MBP from has zero return policies on so-called custom configured hardware purchases (yes, didn't think I should check). Contrast that with Apple's unconditional 14-day return policy on any product. I felt a bit blindsided by this discovery (some more experienced shoppers will see me as naive, no doubt).

Even though I fulfilled Apple's return policy described here: http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/sales-policies/reseller.html , Apple still denied any possibility of return as did the 3rd party reseller. I've called Apple support and explained the situation as well as how I fulfilled the requirements stated above, but to no avail.
Everyone I've spoken to at Apple Support and my local Apple store empathized and saw my point, but "there was nothing they could do". Hindsight being 20/20, I will personally never order or purchase from an authorized Apple reseller ever again, regardless of some of the particular incentives at the time. It is not worth it. You will not get anywhere near the support and satisfaction guarantee period.
Though I never intended to return the item, I certainly felt my satisfaction as a regular Apple product customer & user would have carried more weight with Apple, regardless of where the Apple product was purchased. I am disappointed in what I feel is a flawed policy (allowing no return policies by 3rd party resellers), as well as disappointed in finding no real help from Apple when I reached out with the details on my particular situation. Hopefully someone will change the rules eventually, even if it is just requiring an upfront disclaimer on a sale that "it cannot be returned or exchanged under any circumstances". Live and learn. Maybe someone will find my comments helpful.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I wouldn't say all authorized apple resllers are like that. I think like any big purchase you need to do your due diligence.

I just found out the reseller I ordered a new MBP from has zero return policies on so-called custom configured hardware purchases (yes, didn't think I should check).
For years apple had this as well.

Apple still denied any possibility of return as did the 3rd party reseller
The simple reason is that you did not buy it from Apple.

I certainly felt my satisfaction as a regular Apple product customer & user would have carried more weight with Apple
Nope, you are one of a million (billion?) customers, you are not special, just another sale.

Hopefully someone will change the rules eventually, even if it is just requiring an upfront disclaimer on a sale that "it cannot be returned or exchanged under any circumstances"
Well you need to make complaints about that reseller not Apple.

joshuaad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
I hear you Mike. Hindsight is always 20/20. I still maintain that authorized resellers should have strict guidelines to adhere to (set by Apple) so that there is full disclosure and that customer satisfaction is made a priority. The discrepancy between Apple's return/satisfaction policies and the reseller in this case are tremendous. And yes, in hindsight, I should have read the fine print and determined what my options were upfront. Etc., etc., etc. I'm not special, etc., etc., etc., I'm just another sale, etc., etc., etc., Apple does not really care... I really am critical of both the reseller(s) and Apple here, although Apple sets the tone and the rules and has control over the process and experience. After all, I'm buying an Apple product and I am an Apple customer. There's what is and what I believe should be, not just for the best interest of the customer but Apple's as well. My 2 cents...

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but your major beef is with that reseller. You can try to write an email to Tim Cook, that has been somewhat successful by some folks.

The major issue is however that reseller having a consumer unfriendly return policy.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
i believe Apple Authorized Resellers have their own terms for refunds/returns..... I don't think all of them follow Apple's online store terms.

So ya,, i guess if u want friendly service go directly to Apple, otherwise good luck. :D I liked Nextbyte, but most have closed down near me..

joshuaad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but your major beef is with that reseller. You can try to write an email to Tim Cook, that has been somewhat successful by some folks.

The major issue is however that reseller having a consumer unfriendly return policy.

I understand perfectly. But the requirements to be an authorized reseller are set by Apple. Ultimately, the resellers represent Apple and deal with Apple's customers. Therefore Apple needs to make a change here. Also, the procedure described on Apple's website regarding returns of purchases made from an authorized reseller (see link in my first post) is actually misleading. I fulfilled all the requirements but there is no intention on Apple's part to follow through. All they are doing is covering themselves legally. The ONLY reason they would take a return is if you specifically say that you do not accept Apple's one-year limited warranty terms. I suspect that is a legal requirement but the website does not state that. So if you mention any other reason for the return, they will turn you down. Not cool, and totally deceptive. Disappointing.
Thanks for the tip regarding emailing Tim Cook. I was aware of it and only want to use it when I have exhausted all my options (getting close to it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.