Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
amazon has it, released in early December!

22.1 megapixels
1-5 fps
45 point autofocus
live view
anti dust
14 bit

And a revised wide angle: 14mm f/2.8 II
No pricing yet but I'd guess $1300-1500.

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
Taken from a screen shot on my computer :p

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    249 KB · Views: 107

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Meh, saw them last night on Amazon. The 1Ds MkIII sounds OK, but they said something about replacing medium format, and lets face it.....there's not nearly enough dynamic range right now with DSLRs to do anything of the sort.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Meh, saw them last night on Amazon. The 1Ds MkIII sounds OK, but they said something about replacing medium format, and lets face it.....there's not nearly enough dynamic range right now with DSLRs to do anything of the sort.
Just okay? ;) The dynamic range improvement is supposed to be really striking so I'll be really interested to see how things pan out with tests.

And December? Geez, that can't be right. There are people testing it in studios right now. I can't believe that 5 months of testing is necessary. The number of people who will want this [and pay for it] is not as high as the 40D etc.

p.s. The 40D looks pretty damn good too!

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I'm buying this camera when it comes out regardless - but the specs seems a bit odd to me.

The captures that Engadget got say the ISO expansion range is only 3200, while the 1D mkIII goes to ISO 6400.

It's using the FF version of the new DIGIC III sensor, which is what's in the 1D III.

21.1mp will be absolutely awesome for sRAW at weddings, and portrait and editorial work will get the full blast. Now I just have to start saving.....

Grimace said:
Just okay? The dynamic range improvement is supposed to be really striking so I'll be really interested to see how things pan out with tests.

And December? Geez, that can't be right. There are people testing it in studios right now. I can't believe that 5 months of testing is necessary. The number of people who will want this [and pay for it] is not as high as the 40D etc.

p.s. The 40D looks pretty damn good too!

5 months of testing seems a bit much to me as well, but I'm not complaining. The 1D III got out the doors with some weird focusing and LCD issues, both of which seem to have Canon engineers completely baffled. Hopefully this camera will hit the ground running with no issues to speak of.

The 40D does look great.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Yeah, I'm thinking about it too. I'm just unsure that the price difference between the 1D and 1Ds is worthy. It's almost the same technology under the hood, just a larger sensor in the latter.

I'm hoping to see some improved long glass too. A 400mm f/5.6 with IS would be great, or even a 500mm/600mm/800mm f/5.6 IS. Canon makes good pro money on those top L lenses so I'm not sure the pro interest is there for such a long 5.6 lens, but who knows!!

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
I'm buying this camera when it comes out regardless - but the specs seems a bit odd to me.

The captures that Engadget got say the ISO expansion range is only 3200, while the 1D mkIII goes to ISO 6400.

It's using the FF version of the new DIGIC III sensor, which is what's in the 1D III.

This is a wedding/studio camera. I see no need for 6400. And the DIGIC III has nothing to do with the sensor. It's the image processor.

Tons more info:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07082009canoneos1dsmarkiii.asp

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
again, where is the 5D successor? I'm waiting for that to come and slash the price of the current 5D. :(

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
I love the new cameras but why does Canon blow ergonomics to sh*t? There goes my wrists again.

I dont mind it so much but the two handed approach to changing settings really irks me.. nothing like holding my Mk IIn + 70-200 2.8L IS and trying to change AF points up and down with the main dial and side to side with the dial on the top and holding down the AF selection button..

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, I'm thinking about it too. I'm just unsure that the price difference between the 1D and 1Ds is worthy. It's almost the same technology under the hood, just a larger sensor in the latter.

Obviously, Canon thinks people will pay the extra for the 1Ds, and the fact that they're still charging high prices for it indicates that they're right. There's also the point that the full frame sensor was done using two pass lithography, although it wouldn't surprise me if Canon has done work to cut it down to a single pass, thereby reducing the reject rate.

I'm hoping to see some improved long glass too. A 400mm f/5.6 with IS would be great, or even a 500mm/600mm/800mm f/5.6 IS. Canon makes good pro money on those top L lenses so I'm not sure the pro interest is there for such a long 5.6 lens, but who knows!!

Well, you can get a 420mm f/4 with IS: buy the 300mm f/2.8 and stack a 1.4x converter on it. As for the other lenses, you can get the 500mm f/4 and 600mm f/4 today; Canon isn't likely to cannibalise their sales of those lenses by introducing slower but cheaper versions ... or you can stack a 2x TC on the 300mm. If you need 800mm, grab a 400mm f/2.8 and a 2x teleconverter. Longer than that, though, and you end up at f/8, which is a bit of a bummer. (Well, ok, you can get 840mm f/5.6 by stacking the 600mm and a 1.4x TC, but 40mm at that point is negligible.)

As for my take on the new bodies: the 40D is very drool worthy, and I'd be seriously tempted, but I'm inclined towards full frame, unless Canon comes out with an EF-S fisheye. So my money for now is going towards EF glass, and I'll probably grab the 5D mark II after its release.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
As for my take on the new bodies: the 40D is very drool worthy, and I'd be seriously tempted, but I'm inclined towards full frame, unless Canon comes out with an EF-S fisheye.
You can get fisheyes from Sigma and Tokina now, starting at 8 mm (180 degrees on cropped sensors). I don't see why you should wait when the 40D has so much to offer.

I'd be interested to see how the new sensors' dynamic ranges fares against the king of dynamic range, the Fuji S5 Pro.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I'm hoping that the 1Ds doesn't suffer the same autofocus issues of the new 1D. DPreview and Ken Rockwell usually put the camera through good controlled testing. This xmas is going to be an expensive one! :p

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
DIGIC III refers to the image processing chip, not the image sensor. DIGIC III has been out for about a year and is finding its way across the board in all Canon professional and consumer digicams. The 1D Mark III and 1Ds Mark III both employ two of these babies to handle the extra pixel processing load.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.