Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cosolin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
Seattle, WA
Looking to purchase a new, just announced, 2018 Macbook Pro, but am wondering about compatible OS. Comes preloaded with High Sierra, but given certain software we're still running, we would like to downgrade to Sierra OS.

We've done this on 2017 machines, just wondering if the new machines can accommodate Sierra as well.

Thanks for any information on this.

cosolin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
Seattle, WA
Thanks for your reply. Do you happen to know what drivers it lacks? The 2017 macbook pros could not be downgraded below Sierra because of the touch bar, but other than that, what drivers would it lack. I guess if all else fails, I could ask apple...

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Thanks for your reply. Do you happen to know what drivers it lacks? The 2017 macbook pros could not be downgraded below Sierra because of the touch bar, but other than that, what drivers would it lack. I guess if all else fails, I could ask apple...

Zero chance regular Sierra will work. The 2018s have the T2 chip, which authenticates which OS is signed/compatible in order to boot.

Reactions: cosolin and themp

AuricBlue

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2007
If you need to run at Sierra on the new MacBook Pro for a specific app you can always try using virtualization via VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop. They should both be able to be at Sierra just fine. VirtualBox should even work, but I don’t think it has just drivers for macOS like Parallels or VMware.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Mac's only support the macOS version they where introduced with and newer. It has always been that way. It's the price of bundling drivers with the OS, so users don"t have to mess with it like windows.

It is drivers for any new hardware (even the new processors might need tweaks to be fully supported) and entries in some lists telling the macOS which Mac's it support on installation time, that is missing.

Reactions: cosolin

cosolin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
Seattle, WA
Thanks for all replies. So, looks likes I've got some software checking to do. Luckily, I've got a machine I generally use as a guinea pig for software testing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.