Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msoueid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2019
Hi all,

I've scoured the forums and reddit and couldnt find a real answer for new macbook pros but start up times (pushing the power button, to the login screen) are substantially slower than my prior 2015 macbook pro on Mojave.

Is this normal? Is there a way to optimize? Any help would be appreciated!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Just some random thoughts:

Have you checked the startup disk pref pane to be sure the internal drive is selected as the boot drive?

If you start up "in safe boot" (hold down shift key when booting), does that change anything?

Not sure if it's still applicable, but in "the old days", having more RAM in a Mac meant that it took a little longer to boot, because one of the "first checks" at boot time is a system check of the RAM...

Hazmat401

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2017
Delaware County, Pa
Just some random thoughts:

Have you checked the startup disk pref pane to be sure the internal drive is selected as the boot drive?

If you start up "in safe boot" (hold down shift key when booting), does that change anything?

Not sure if it's still applicable, but in "the old days", having more RAM in a Mac meant that it took a little longer to boot, because one of the "first checks" at boot time is a system check of the RAM...

I read that an abundance of Ram can slow things down outside benchmarks and actual throughput

How slow are we talking? 20 seconds?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.