Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Behold, the H3DII-50!

36 X 48mm Kodak sensor, which is twice the size of full-frame DSLR sensors. Each file is 300MB files and the camera fires at ~ 1FPS.

The 39 was only $37,000 when it launched :D and Hassy says that if you buy a 39 now, you can upgrade to the 50 for the difference in cost, when it comes out in October...(I'm guessing the 50 will be around $45,000) That's a hot deal!!

7-07-08-h3dii50.jpg

The3nd

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2007
im still thinking of getting a 31 ii at 17,9 but then i at least want a 50-110 which is another 4k new or 2.4 used

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Pfttt, just one frame per second? My XTi does better than that. :rolleyes:

Seriously, this is awesome. Just for the sake of interest, does Hasselblad make macro lenses? I'd love to have a 50 Mp shot of a dragonfly's compound eyes. :D

mikeyPotg

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2006
ya... like huge.

you would go through sooooo many memory cards, they need like HDD attachments haha

Pardon my ignorance... but aside from huge posters, will a regular Nikon D300 or something around that range give similar pictures? I'm just trying to understand the price.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Pardon my ignorance... but aside from huge posters, will a regular Nikon D300 or something around that range give similar pictures? I'm just trying to understand the price.

It's not just about the MP. It's like the difference in quality between P&S and full-frame -- although this is from full-frame to 2x full-frame.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
DPReview Editorial + Press Release from Kodak

I saw this over at DPReview:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0807/08070902Kodaksensor.asp

DPReview Editorial said:
"We were being told two things by our customers," said Kodak: "The first was the need for more resolution, to give increased levels of detail. The cameras this chip will be used in can support this: they have headroom in terms of what their lenses can resolve. But, at the same time, we were being told: 'Don't take anything away that we already have,' particularly in terms of dynamic range."

Kodak says the new chip is the first of a new generation of sensors and is the first to utilize a new technology platform. There are three key technologies in the new chip to help improve responsiveness, color accuracy and to handle the output of such a large sensor. One of the most interesting is the chip's four-channel readout, which has been designed with dynamic range, rather than speed, in mind.

Four-channel readout
"Dynamic range is essentially signal-to-noise ratio, which is just signal divided by noise." the company said: "Going to a smaller pixel you get less signal so, to retain dynamic range, we need to drop noise."

"The 39MP chip was a two-channel readout design. This means each row was pulled down into the output register, then read out from either side of the chip to the amplifiers, before the next row could be pulled down. The 50MP is a four channel device - there are two registers, one for the odd pixels, the other for the even ones. Again, half go to the left and half go to the right.

"As you operate the amps faster and faster, you get more noise. This four-channel approach gave us more bandwidth, partly to deal with the extra information created by the extra pixels but also to allow us to run the amplifiers slower. On this chip there are four amplifiers running at 18Mhz, rather than two running at 24Mhz."

Pulse flush
Click-to-capture time is kept down by using a new pixel clearing technology Kodak has dubbed 'Pulse flush.' "Before you can read the output of a sensor, you have to make sure it's clear from any electrical noise that could be hanging around. Traditionally you had to read out all of the pixels, drop them down and through the output register. As you increase pixel count, this takes more and more time and also it takes power.

"What we've got in this design, in addition to the light sensitive area in each pixel, is a drain for anti-blooming draining. This is usually used to carry away excess voltage if the pixel is over-exposed, to stop that voltage over-flowing into neighboring pixels. We use that, in a process called 'Pulse flushing,' to drain all the pixels before each shot. This way the initial delay is measured in microseconds, rather than milliseconds."

Color accuracy
The other change in the new chip is the use of a new red pigment to increase color accuracy. "One of the things our customers liked about the last chip was the color accuracy but we thought we could do something to make it better. The new pigment shifts the absorption band 15 nm towards the blue, which increases the overlap between the red and green channels."

Increasing the overlap between channels helps the camera more accurately detect colors that fall between the two channels, meaning the new sensor should be better able to interpret yellow and orange tones.

Although Kodak refers to the chip as being the first product based on a new technology platform, it would not be drawn on whether this could include application on a DSLR scale. In addition to medium-format professional photography, the company said the sensor had been generating interest from aerial photography companies.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
wow... so is that just for crazy huge posters?

No. 50MP does not blow up that much larger than 24MP. You can do the math and see that when you double the number of pixels the print size goes up by the square root of two. So the 50MP Hasselblad can make prints only 1.4 times larger than a 24MP camera. Hardly "huge".

If you have a 12MP Canon SLR the 48MP hasselblad is only 4X more pixels so the prints can by only twice as large (at same DPI) When comparing the MP counts of two camera you need to take the square roots of the MP counts and compare those.

What you gain is a "smoothness", "snap", color accuracy and the elimination of noise or grain. Really it is the same thing as with film. The difference between hasselblad's 6x6 cm film frame and Nikon/Canon's 36x24 mm frame. I have both 35mm and medium format film in my file. The MF has dramatically better image quality then the film I shot with my Nikon equipment. I don't make larger pprints but I make much better prints.

Yes, this Haselblad costs a lot of money. But I work as a software developer in the area of rocket and spacecraft telemetry processing. The equipment I use every day to earn a liveing cost many times what this haselblad system sells for. My Uncle (in law) is a plumber. The equipment he uses to earn his living costs much more then a haselblad. Even the garbage man who take my trash is given the use of equipment that costs four to five times the price of the Hasselblad. As profesional tools go $50K is not bad. You would expect capital cost of equipment on most professions to START at about 1/2 yearly income. One would hope a pro photographer would be grossing over $100K if not his "take home is below median income

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I think memory cards are out of the question an attached FireWire drive is needed or you shoot tethered in the studio.

Yup... Have you ever watched "America's Next Top Model". This is what they do all the time. It is pretty cool to see some of the behind the scenes work with the photography etc.

If you have ovation channel, they do alot of stuff on photography and alot of guys use type of setup for fashion etc....

I could not afford one now, but man I would love to shoot with one for an afternoon or something!

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
With 6 micron pixels, you'd think that the ISO could be pushed past ISO 400.

It can do 800 iso with the bundled software. I also think that this type of camera will be used in a studio setup so the demand for such a sensitive sensor is tiny. Not a lot of people would use it as a walkabout lens shooting in low light, a few people over here in Europe still shoot with film because its for more durable, cheaper and serviceable compared.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.