Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Will the new Apple display "work" for photography? That is, will it be color-correctable and have acceptable color accuracy?

I know those terms are fluid; assume that the current ACDs have acceptable correctability and accuracy. Compare the new display against the "old" ones (which, to my understanding, are not being replaced or updated).

Thanks!

Jan 30, 2006
I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I really have never understood why some people get so pissed with glossy screens. In my opinion they look great, and I had never had problems with color when viewing my photos and printing them afterwards.

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
i totally rely on my macbook pro for my photography work and, unfortunately i will not be buying apple in the near future. Glossy displays are just perfect for watching movies and having coverflow up while listening to some good tunes, but the glossy display just doesnt hold color correction well enough, and the displays on the laptops are just as bad. no matter how well you correct for color the black is just too black, its nothing like what comes out of a printer or a print lab. The old displays where just perfect for this kind of work, accurate, but expensive.

We photographers need reliable displays to work with, and i think i will just buy a nice dell display and hook it up to my current macbook pro, i mean the whole idea of a PRO computer is that it is made for a digital professional and the current line of computers just wont cut it, i think you will see a big move back to windows

am i the only one that feels this way?

i think apple has really left the professional behind with the new lineup.

I'm a Mac

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
i totally rely on my macbook pro for my photography work and, unfortunately i will not be buying apple in the near future. Glossy displays are just perfect for watching movies and having coverflow up while listening to some good tunes, but the glossy display just doesnt hold color correction well enough, and the displays on the laptops are just as bad. no matter how well you correct for color the black is just too black, its nothing like what comes out of a printer or a print lab. The old displays where just perfect for this kind of work, accurate, but expensive.

We photographers need reliable displays to work with, and i think i will just buy a nice dell display and hook it up to my current macbook pro, i mean the whole idea of a PRO computer is that it is made for a digital professional and the current line of computers just wont cut it, i think you will see a big move back to windows

This new display is specifically made for consumers, especially the ones with the new macbooks. The old ones aren't going anywhere fast http://www.apple.com/displays/cinema/

qveda

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
I'm curious why you feel Windows would be better for "professionals". Seems that there are other great displays you can use with your mbp. I'm considering Planar, among others. And the s/w available on Mac for photography doesn't seem to be inferior to s/w available on windows.

I have a MacPro (just got it a couple of weeks ago :). I'd consider the new 24" display, since I haven't yet upgrade from my Dell 20". but at $900 the 26" planar might be a better choice - or at least an alternative choice.

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom

I agree with you

Really do, i was starting to do a bit myself

Know many people who use the mbp for it and they said its amazing

These news ones. i just dont have no love for them im afraid

I think apple are loosing it

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
I'm curious why you feel Windows would be better for "professionals". Seems that there are other great displays you can use with your mbp. I'm considering Planar, among others. And the s/w available on Mac for photography doesn't seem to be inferior to s/w available on windows.

I dont think windows is a better operating system at all, in fact quite the opposite. but what i was saying is that PC manufacturers are the only ones who now offer matte displays, inside their laptops. and the color accuracy of glossy displays is just not acceptable who does onscreen proofing such as: video editors, photographers and graphic designers (AKA apple's biggest professional market). not having a pro level machine with a matte display or refreshing their display line with one is really a bad decision on their part

qveda

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
Maybe you guys are just joking. if not, then I don't understand why you feel that Apple is leaving the professional behind, and why you don't like the new products. the performance is as good or better than almost all windows-based products. Please elaborate.

pit29

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
The Golden State

Not windows, I guess, but non-glossy laptops. If you cannot get one from Apple anymore, and you need a new laptop, what choices do you have?

I hope Apple will give us the possibility to choose again. I can see the benefits of not having too many products, but offering two display options should not be too hard. Please , Apple!!!

MaddMacs

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Flagstaff, Az
I have mixed feelings about the new display. I like the LED backlight, the iSight and internal speakers, and wish that they were incorporated long ago. I'm not too crazy about the price, the black bezel, the lack of firewire, the glossy screen, the propiatary mini jack, and the lack of HDMI. I suspect they will refresh the displays further in the future to target the Pro market, but as it stands I will hold on to my 20"ADC. The negatives outweigh the positives....oh what happened to the rumored Blu-ray support?

termina3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Guys, this thread is about the new display… not if Apple (singular) as a company is "leaving behind" the pros. I think it's worth noting that the 17" MBP still offers a matte option, and the old ACDs are still available. You're welcome to start another thread, but I'd like to keep this one focused on the new display. (Thanks!)

I have mixed feelings about the new display. I like the LED backlight, the iSight and internal speakers, and wish that they were incorporated long ago. I'm not too crazy about the price, the black bezel, the lack of firewire, the glossy screen, the propiatary mini jack, and the lack of HDMI.

I think the mini-jack is a big deal… unless they sell a mini->dvi connector (I'm sure they will). The main draw for me was the new look and iSight…*which I've been wanting since I got my Mac Pro. But $900 is tough to swallow, considering I won't take advantage of the laptop compatibility.

Primarily I was concerned about the glossy-ness of the display…*I wasn't positive that it was, and was hoping that it wasn't.

oh what happened to the rumored Blu-ray support?

"Licensing costs"

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Maybe you guys are just joking. if not, then I don't understand why you feel that Apple is leaving the professional behind, and why you don't like the new products. the performance is as good or better than almost all windows-based products.
Not au fait with PC specs are we?
You can buy PC laptops with 16GB of memory, quad cores, with two hard drives inside, two batteries, with wacom pads built in, matt screens, 9"-20" screens, a variety of keyboards..... Generally lots of options you can choose to suit your specific professional workflow/needs.
Apple seem to be going for even less choice than before and it wasn't particularly good then. When you try to impose one simplistic solution for all computer users [mainly to save money], it simply shows poor design and lack of care towards customer.
I was thinking of getting a new laptop. Not bothering now, though I may get a Windows machine instead in New Year if Apple don't show something a bit more usable/powerful.

....oh what happened to the rumored Blu-ray support?
"Licensing costs"
I noticed a BluRay drive on a Sony laptop that was similar to MacBook Pro, but $200 cheaper. So not as cheap as Apple wanted, would be my guess.
BluRay is a major requirement for my next laptop, so I can archive work whilst on location. DVDs are simply too small for the job.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
There's too much we don't know yet. Is it S-IPS or S-PVA panel? What % of the Adobe RGB color space? Glossy is an automatic deal breaker for many, but I pretty much gave up on that awhile back. I just want high quality panel that looks right at home with rest of my Mac gears.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
I noticed a BluRay drive on a Sony laptop that was similar to MacBook Pro, but $200 cheaper. So not as cheap as Apple wanted, would be my guess.
BluRay is a major requirement for my next laptop, so I can archive work whilst on location. DVDs are simply too small for the job.

BD is Sony's latest proprietary pet (not to mention the first one to win a format war of such scale for quite a while). If Sony didn't offer BD as much as possible, that'd be damn retarded.

Need to backup on location? Carry an external HDD. Current BD drives burn rather slowly. Especially if you're burning the full 50 GB.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I really have never understood why some people get so pissed with glossy screens. In my opinion they look great, and I had never had problems with color when viewing my photos and printing them afterwards.

Many people have had issues calibrating glossy displays, and have had bad color shifts trying to do so. Since all you can really do is adjust luminance with an LCD, that can be a problem compared to CRT screens that everyone's coming from.

I can't imagine the ultra-high contrast will represent much shadow detail at all compared to a matte screen. It could just be that you're not as picky as everyone who complains.

Monitors are emission devices, so shadow detail is already a challenge vs. a reflective medium like a print- I can't imagine that I'd be happy with a glossy display versus a matte one when evaluating shots that have significant shadow detail. I suspect if you looked at images side by side on the two, you might not be as happy either.

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
i am glad i am not the only one disturbed at the lack of apple's concern about the large majority of, what is supposed to be its target buyer. I really love my OS X, cant i have my cake and eat it too? Apple has developed aperture to the point where it has become useful, and even enjoyable(compared to what it started at) and now its driving photographers away?

while the 17in MacbookPro still offers a matte screen, for me its not really practical, 15in is portable, and has enough screen real estate to be the perfect laptop IMHO, at least for me. And besides now the 17in does not fit the rest of the product line, and its only a matter of time before apple replaces that too, after all its now the odd duck in the lineup.

this is a real concern!

I think we should call to arms all of the Aperture beta testers, if they read this.

seriously uncle Steve, what have you been smoking?

termina3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
TX

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
I love this part of the ACD website:

Apple Cinema Displays let you work in widescreen for less.

For less than what, exactly!? Don't get me wrong, I love the ACD's, even paid £1000, or circa $1900, for my 20in the day it came out, but there's no denying virtually all of its competitors are cheaper!

andy.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Not windows, I guess, but non-glossy laptops. If you cannot get one from Apple anymore, and you need a new laptop, what choices do you have?
You're willing to change your Mac:photoshop to Windows?

troyhark

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
BD is Sony's latest proprietary pet (not to mention the first one to win a format war of such scale for quite a while). If Sony didn't offer BD as much as possible, that'd be damn retarded.
True, but still they beat a Mac for archiving on location.

Need to backup on location? Carry an external HDD.
I do 2x320 + 1x500 at present. Besides HDs are for back up, not archiving. A subtle distinction. Thank God small drives are bigger capacities now. I had to carry 4x500g desktop external drives a while back when working away on a 4 week shoot. BTW, that's 1TB duplicated for safety.

Current BD drives burn rather slowly. Especially if you're burning the full 50 GB.
Not as slowly as numerous DVDs!

troyhark

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
You're willing to change your Mac:photoshop to Windows?
I use both OSs and the Windows version of PS UI is actually slightly better, particularly on Laptops so hardly a problem for those who want to move after Apple's lackluster laptops, plus there's 64bit PS on Win platform. Plus no Loser, sorry Finder to put up with.

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
I use both OSs and the Windows version of PS UI is actually slightly better, particularly on Laptops so hardly a problem for those who want to move after Apple's lackluster laptops, plus there's 64bit PS on Win platform. Plus no Loser, sorry Finder to put up with.

The windows version of photoshop is much better looking, the ability to have a grey backdrop to work on is nice, why cant adobe build that in to CS4?

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
... the propiatary mini jack, and the lack of HDMI.
The connector is called DisplayPort and it is not proprietary, it is a competing standard to HDMI. However, it can drive larger resolutions than HDMI. There have been prototypes of screens by other manufacturers that use DisplayPort. Dell is selling screens with DisplayPort inputs already (at least Dell's current 30" and 24" screens have it).

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
The windows version of photoshop is much better looking, the ability to have a grey backdrop to work on is nice, why cant adobe build that in to CS4?

Um... click "F" on your keyboard when you're in Mac Photoshop. There are a range of options you'll find by clicking that.

As it pertains to these monitors, you can't discuss them and professional photographers separately. These seem to be the same configuration as the new iMac monitors and I actively refer people AWAY from those computers due to the atrocious calibration and viewing angle results from them. Come on Apple, you should know better than this, but you're turning a blind eye.

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
Um... click "F" on your keyboard when you're in Mac Photoshop. There are a range of options you'll find by clicking that.

yes that brings you to diffrent screen modes, but what the windows version of photoshop does is covers the desktop with grey, while still allowing you to work with multipule documents in a windowed mode

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.