Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daledenton9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2021
Every time I boot the ATV up the volume/back buttons are always lagging/delayed slightly. Only a restart or re-pairing (hold volume up + back button) fixes it. It happens 100% of the time on initial power on. Tried resets, hdmi cords etc. Is this common with os 15? Seemed to happen after updating.

Last edited:

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
When I first updated to tvOS 15 my new 2021 remote took about 10 minutes to regain full functionality. I still have periodic loss of functionality for a few moments, sometimes requiring a restart of the ATV. I think just like everything Apple seems to release these days, tvOS 15 is buggy. I’m also having issues with the Philo live TV app crashing, although it has always been a buggy app. Philo apparently hasn’t figured out the new tvOS 15 well enough to stabilize their app.

Reactions: ouimetnick

daledenton9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2021
When I first updated to tvOS 15 my new 2021 remote took about 10 minutes to regain full functionality. I still have periodic loss of functionality for a few moments, sometimes requiring a restart of the ATV. I think just like everything Apple seems to release these days, tvOS 15 is buggy. I’m also having issues with the Philo live TV app crashing, although it has always been a buggy app. Philo apparently hasn’t figured out the new tvOS 15 well enough to stabilize their app.
Yea I’m ok with bugs here and there but this issue is happening 100% of the time each time on start up which is worrisome.

daledenton9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2021
I tried the new remote with a totally separate tv/system and the older atv4k. Experience the same exact issue 100% of the time. This atv is on 14.5. So I’m wondering if it’s the remote firmware or an issue with the remote. Any suggestions?

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
I agree it is likely the remote FW causing issues. When I upgraded my ATV 4K 2017 to tvOS 15, apparently the remote FW took a while longer to install and was probably why the remote (2021 version) wouldn’t work for several minutes. I’ve encountered this before on previous tvOS updates where the remote takes some time after the update to start working again. I also experience this on my Fire TV Cube when I update it and its remote takes a few minutes to start working again.

daledenton9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2021
Is it worth getting another remote to try? Still driving me crazy and won’t resolve.

DenniSundaY

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2021
Same here, and many other people. Clicking on the back button always throws me back right to Home because it thinks I’m long pressing it. Pressing it like you’re forced to touch a Tarantula or something is the only way to go. Fast and hope it won’t move.

Though I noticed that after turning the ATV on, the buttons start to respond better after a brief period (usually around 5-10) minutes. But not always.

How is this still not fixed by Apple?

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
My new 2021 remote paired with my ATV 4K 2017 still occasionally loses pairing once in a while. It almost always loses pairing after a tvOS update, and It seems to have gotten worse after the tvOS 15 updates. Te Philo app has just now become stable in tvOS 15. It took them several weeks to update it properly to work in tvOS 15, so other apps might also be having issues with the latest tvOS. All in all though, my remote works 98-99% of the time.

crystalidea

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2014
Belgium
Had to return it and switched back to my prev gen 4k model with the older remote. Can't bear those lags.
Love the new remote design and will be waiting for a fix or next hardware update

Reactions: ouimetnick

Man on the moon

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Los Angeles
I just picked up the latest Apple TV 4K and there is a momentary delay when I go to settings, and the control does register some sort of long press. weird

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Can everyone help report to apple? Seems crazy it’s gone on this long.
I have an Apple TV HD (not 4K version). I received my second generation Apple TV Siri Remote today. After I paid the new remote, all buttons work except the volume up, volume down and mute. Either the volume up/volume down will not work at all or intermittently will work but the volume is very laggy and will just not progress at all. Same for the mute button. I am in contact with an Apple Support Senior Advisor. They had me go through:
  • SMC reset of the Apple TV. Remove the power cord from the Apple TV for 30 seconds.
  • Unpair the remote (pair the old remote), restart the Apple TV, pair the new remote.
  • Reset and update the Apple TV, pair the new remote.
According to the Apple Support person, Apple has received several reports and are aware of the issue. They had me generate a sysdiagnose report which I sent to the Apple Support person. It has been escalated up to the tech support.

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
I was wondering about that. Been using my HomePods to play music for months around the house. I finally decided to fire up my traditional system in my living room. First of all having 3 subs for music/movies reminded me what real BASS was lol. Anyway, when i click for next song a half a second delay before it goes. Forward and back. Yeah the volume has a slight delay before it takes It. Hope fully another ATV update will fix it.

DenniSundaY

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2021
As far as I know it still isn’t. Hoping every new tvOS update wil fix it or brings a new firmware for the remote. I also check the firmware on a regular base. But nothing I fortunately.

DenniSundaY

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2021
Well they could just fix it with a firmware update. The problem also started with a firmware update. But yeah it has been a long time and it still isn’t fixed so I’m not sure if they’re ever going to fix this model at this point…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.