Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haremite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Hi.

I just got this battery installed from a tech shop in my city:

NewerTech NuPower 78 Watt-Hour Battery for MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Mid-2009 & Mid-2010., with a new 256MB SSD hard drive.

I am concerned that the battery isn't living up to its "potential" as I am only getting maybe 4-1/2 hours out of it from a full charge when it is unplugged.

I ran a time test the other day that resulted in the following:

Beginning at 100%, at 4:43 p.m, I unplugged it to run on battery alone (this is with an upgrade to OS High Sierra).
At 6:55 p.m. the battery was at 58%.
At 8:41 p.m. the battery was at 27%

At that point, I connected the charger.

Knowing nothing about this particular battery, or any battery for that matter, is this a normal amount of discharge for a third party battery running in an older machine? Should I return my unit and ask for a new battery, as I am still under warranty.

Thanks.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
NewerTech NuPower 78 Watt-Hour Battery for MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Mid-2009 & Mid-2010., with a new 256MB SSD hard drive.

As far as I know and use these metrics, Watt-Hour is a metric of charge/discharge, not of absolute capacity. How many mAh is the battery? That's its capacity, and thus dictates what you can expect from it. Every battery has a different capacity.

Small SSD if it's really MB.....Can't even have macOS on that!

Reactions: haremite

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
As far as I know and use these metrics, Watt-Hour is a metric of charge/discharge, not of absolute capacity. How many mAh is the battery? That's its capacity, and thus dictates what you can expect from it. Every battery has a different capacity.

Small SSD if it's really MB.....Can't even have macOS on that!
I'm guessing this is the battery he has installed based on a google search. I can't seem to find anything about the actual mAh capacity of the battery, but they advertise it as having up to 23% more capacity than the battery it shipped with so it should be getting longer battery life than that assuming their advertising is true. The battery that originally shipped with those supposedly was able to get up to 7 hours of battery life, but I don't remember how accurate Apple's numbers were on that at the time.

I'm sure the SSD capacity was a typo and he meant to say 256GB.

haremite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Lol, it's 250 GB SSD. And I just contacted the battery company, which is sending me links to "condition" the battery, as it may not have been done when it was installed, and an app to run Coconut Battery. Once I have all of the results, NuTech will tell me if my battery was used and needs to be replaced, etc. Based on the time results I gave them, they said it seems low.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I'm guessing this is the battery he has installed based on a google search. I can't seem to find anything about the actual mAh capacity of the battery, but they advertise it as having up to 23% more capacity than the battery it shipped with so it should be getting longer battery life than that assuming their advertising is true. The battery that originally shipped with those supposedly was able to get up to 7 hours of battery life, but I don't remember how accurate Apple's numbers were on that at the time.

I had a 2011, and Apple actually underestimated the battery time I got on that one. So yeah, it's low.

I'm sure the SSD capacity was a typo and he meant to say 256GB.

I was just joking when I called out the typo :)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Yours seems to be a common problem with "replacement" batteries.
Many of them (most?) just never seem to hold as good a charge as the OEM factory-installed batteries do.

One of those "facts of laptop life", I guess... (sigh)

Reactions: satcomer

haremite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Hi. I did coconut battery and these are the results:

I don't understand why the battery lasts such a short period of time, less than 4 hours now, when it's not connected to the charge. As you can see, the battery isn't old, and I am running High Sierra. Any ideas? Thanks.

upload_2018-6-18_13-48-11.png

upload_2018-6-18_13-52-8.png

haremite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Is it 4 hrs of heavy usage or on standby?
It's four hours with maybe 4 tabs open in Chrome or Safari, tabs being FB, mail, Macrumors and maybe one other thing. That's all. I don't play games on it, listen to music, watch anything, just the above stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.