Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dubs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
I will be going to Asia for the next year, and need to purchase a new digital camera. I was wondering what are some good cameras? I was hoping to get a decent zoom, and at least 4-5 megapixels. Also, my price range is around $500 or less, would SLR good a good portable option or no? Also, it needs to be somewhat portable, I don't want to have to carry around any lenses, or flash stuff with it, decent durability would be nice as well.

Any help would be really appreciated as I am a large digital camera newb, thanks.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
I will be going to Asia for the next year, and need to purchase a new digital camera. I was wondering what are some good cameras? I was hoping to get a decent zoom, and at least 4-5 megapixels. Also, my price range is around $500 or less, would SLR good a good portable option or no? Also, it needs to be somewhat portable, I don't want to have to carry around any lenses, or flash stuff with it, decent durability would be nice as well.

Any help would be really appreciated as I am a large digital camera newb, thanks.

Sounds like you want a point and shoot rather than an SLR. How about the Canon Powershot SD1000, it's 7.1 megapixels and is about $220 from amazon

dubs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Sounds like you want a point and shoot rather than an SLR. How about the Canon Powershot SD1000, it's 7.1 megapixels and is about $220 from amazon

Thanks for the reply, although I do have some experience with point and shoots, I was wondering, would a Nikon D40 be a reliable option? I plan on taking thousands of pictures while I am there, and as I look at the pictures posted by various members, I see that the D40 is a popular camera.

Thanks again.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
The Nikon D40 and the Canon Rebel XTi are the entry-level DSLR's. I wouldn't really describe either of them as portable, as they wont fit in your pocket, but the image quality on either is very good.

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
I would recommend the Canon Powershot series also. Perhaps the G7 or a model under it.

poopyhead

macrumors 6502a
just bought a canon sd1000 a month ago and a nikon d40x about a week ago. go with the canon if you want portability and ease of use. in the long run because of its small size you will use the canon more often and capture more of your trip as compared to the nikon

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
just bought a canon sd1000 a month ago and a nikon d40x about a week ago. go with the canon if you want portability and ease of use. in the long run because of its small size you will use the canon more often and capture more of your trip as compared to the nikon

How do you like the sd1000?

poopyhead

macrumors 6502a
How do you like the sd1000?

I love it. Part of my job up until a week ago was selling cameras and computers so I tried out several point and shoots before deciding on the sd1000. With it you get basically the same camera as the sd750 (larger screen, larger camera, and no view finder), sd850is (one more megapixel, 4 instead of 3x zoom and image stabilization), and the canon A550, A560, and A570 (all pretty much the same camera with some varying features but none with rechargable batteries). in all the sd1000 offers the best combination of size, price and portability.

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
Another vote for Canon's Powershots. Check out the S2 IS, S3 IS, or S5 IS cameras - they have excellent image quality, and great zoom range.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Another vote for Canon's Powershots. Check out the S2 IS, S3 IS, or S5 IS cameras - they have excellent image quality, and great zoom range.
Seconded.

Not super tiny, not too bulky. Image stabilization is awesome. Superb optical zoom. Fantastic movie mode (it's great for spontaneous videos).

And for traveling?! This camera runs on AA batteries. To me? That screams perfect for traveling. Just think, in case your batteries die? It's a helluva lot easier to find and buy AAs. ;)

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Either the Leica D-Lux 3 or the Lumix DMC-LX2 put the PowerShots to shame in my opinion. Best glass you can get on a point and shoot. Forget the blather about their noise problems and just shoot RAW.

Both cameras have great flexibility between automatic and manual shooting and sport really great wide angle lenses. For an example of what one can do with a D-Lux 3, check out Jim Radcliffe's site.

The differences between the two cameras above, aside from price, is that the Leica has much better in-camera jpeg processing (not that you would necessarily want to process in camera), a longer warranty and PS Elements (if that matters to you).

The RAW images are fully compatible with OS X 10.4.10 or can be imported using Adobe Camera RAW.

Oh, did I mention that the D-Lux 3 is considerably less bulky than a packet of cigarettes?

iAussie

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2006
Seconded.

Not super tiny, not too bulky. Image stabilization is awesome. Superb optical zoom. Fantastic movie mode (it's great for spontaneous videos).

And for traveling?! This camera runs on AA batteries. To me? That screams perfect for traveling. Just think, in case your batteries die? It's a helluva lot easier to find and buy AAs. ;)

Couldn't agree more, I'm a happy S3 IS user and have traveled with it a few times now. People dismiss AAs as being a downside to a camera, but I think its one of the best possible advantages. A decent set of rechargable AAs will last just as long as the proprietary lithium ones in other cameras, plus for a couple of extra dollars you can carry around a set or two of disposable spares.

I was considering a DSLR for an upcoming trip, but I think I'll stay with my S3, mainly because the money involved in getting a similar feature set in an SLR (wide range of focal lengths, IS, battery supply, movie mode) would mean that I couldnt afford to eat on my trip!

In other words, I rekon its better value for money to get something thats more versatile, especially for when you're traveling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.