Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
UPS finally dropped off my new camera; I ended up buying the Canon 5D with the 24-105mm L lens, 580EX flash and a 4GB extreme III CF card. Loving the camera so far, I have a photo shoot on Thursday so hopefully I can get everything configured by then...

page4_blog_entry16_1.jpg

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
ipacmm said:
UPS finally dropped off my new camera; I ended up buying the Canon 5D with the 24-105mm L lens, 580EX flash and a 4GB extreme III CF card. Loving the camera so far, I have a photo shoot on Thursday so hopefully I can get everything configured by then...

page4_blog_entry16_1.jpg

*lucky whore*...err congrats. :D

I figured you would decide on the 5D - let us know how you like the 24-105 - if it is as good or better than the 24-70, I'll likely get one. .

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH

I will post some pictures from the 24-105 later, so far from the test shots I have taken it looks like a really good lens.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
ipacmm said:

page4_blog_entry16_1.jpg

That's extremely exciting! What a great combination too! I've really liked the shots I've seen on the 5D and the 24-105 f4L combo - like the artic or China shots on Luminous Landscape.com. http://www.luminous-landscape.com/locations/antarctica.shtml You're living the full frame life and I'm am a bit envious. Congratulations - have a great time with that set up.

atticus1178

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2006
Austin, Texas
ipacmm said:

page4_blog_entry16_1.jpg

NICE!

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
ipacmm said:
Bastard. Bastard. Double Prime Bastard.

:D

Seriously, though, congratulations. Here's hoping you get good use out of it. (Damnit ... who has this week's Tattslotto numbers? I need a cash infusion, fast. :p)

octoberdeath

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2005
holy cow!!! where have i been for the past few months. dang i thought the 20D was a $1500 buy but now its only $700!!! they really upgrade fast... i didn't even notice. haha this is great news... a 12 megapixal camera for just under $2000!! are you kidding...thats a great price from what i remember.. or is it? man i don't know why i'm so excited...i have been wanting to get a real digital camera for a long while now. i'm glad i waited. i got the Canon Powershot SD400 5 megapixal digital elph and love it for just random snap and shoot. but man its time to get one apparently.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
octoberdeath said:
holy cow!!! where have i been for the past few months. dang i thought the 20D was a $1500 buy but now its only $700!!! they really upgrade fast... i didn't even notice. haha this is great news... a 12 megapixal camera for just under $2000!! are you kidding...thats a great price from what i remember.. or is it? man i don't know why i'm so excited...i have been wanting to get a real digital camera for a long while now. i'm glad i waited. i got the Canon Powershot SD400 5 megapixal digital elph and love it for just random snap and shoot. but man its time to get one apparently.
Where is this sub $2k 12MP camera?

octoberdeath

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2005
carletonmusic said:
Where is this sub $2k 12MP camera?

I just googled "Canon 5D" and these results came up. link1 link2 i guess these places are just selling the body... the second link has a price comparison with prices that still aren't that bad though. maybe you could buy the lens separately and save a little.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
Even at $2700 is a very good price because I bought it for $2943 + the $300 for the rebate for the body. I would watch out for the scams because you do not know what you are getting and if it is a USA or grey market camera.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
ipacmm said:
Evevn at $2700 is a very good price because I bought it for $2943 + the $300 for the rebate for the body. I would watch out for the scams because you do not know what you are getting and if it is a USA or grey market camera.

Have you had any issues with vignetting? I have heard gripes about this from some 5D owners. (I'm deciding between a 30D and 5D)

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
carletonmusic said:
Have you had any issues with vignetting? I have heard gripes about this from some 5D owners. (I'm deciding between a 30D and 5D)
30D, for the price of the 5D body alone you can get some super lenses with your 30D. You could get a nice L zoom or a 2-3 high quality Sigma lenses. Hell you could buy every lens I have right now with the difference in price between the 30D and 5D.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
carletonmusic said:

I haven't had any issues with the camera so far, maybe it was with the firmware or something wrong with their camera.

If you are up to spending the money I would buy the 5D, so far it is a great camera that takes amazing shots with the L lens that I am shooting it with. If you aren't up to spending the money the 30D is also a very nice camera, smaller which is nice and is a positive for some people but for me it didn't make that big of a difference as I was also considering it when I was looking for a new camera. As jared_kipe said for the price you could get an L lens and the 30D for the same price as the 5D body but its up to you to decide whether or not you will take advantage of the 5D's abilities or if the 30D will do the job just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.