Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

telf22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
Hey guys, i currently have a Canon Powershot S80 which has been good. I am planning on buying a better camera for christmas. I want a canon, i want it to take very good pictres, but i prefer it to be compact, not an slr. i was thinking a Canon G9 but not sure if its worth the money.

I know nothing about slr's and it seems that for a bit more than the G9 i could get a decent slr (The G9 is around $450) I'm not too sure about the bulkiness of an slr but then again the G9 is rather bulky aswell.

What should i do???? get an slr or the G9???

Thx

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
With a G9 style camera you get the worst of both worlds. The crappy sensor / non-interchangeable lenses of the compact plus the bulky size (almost) of the SLR.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
If you want to screw around with settings more than a "standard" P&S will allow, the G9 is a good choice. It will fit in your pocket, but not comfortably in your shirt pocket.

I would go to a store and play around with one to see if it works for you.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
With a G9 style camera you get the worst of both worlds. The crappy sensor / non-interchangeable lenses of the compact plus the bulky size (almost) of the SLR.

Agreed. I would avoid the point and shoot cameras with a long zoom range. They all use the smallest sensors used in most non-dslr cameras, which is 1/2.5 inches. Smaller zooms use the larger sensors, and the really good quality cameras use the 1/1.7 or 1/1.8 inch sized sensors.

If you want a small camera that takes DSLR quality photos, I'd rather buy an Olympus E-410. Far smaller than other DSLRs on the market, and comes with great packages as well. It'll cost you $500-$600. A G9 costs you around the same, but will take worse photos and give you less control. If you want to see how much smaller the E410 is, just hold the Olympus and compare it to another small DSLR like the Nikon D40 or Pentax K100D. The Olympus is noticeably smaller.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...lSearch=yes&O=RootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
If you feel comfortable with the DSLR for a little bit more, get it. There's a good chance that at some point in the future, if you keep going with this photography thing. Also, you will inevitable get a better image with the SLR than you would with a G9 (not that the G9 would make bad images).

Your options are wide open as far as small SLR's are concerned, there are tons out there and none of them should cost you much more than what you are quoting for a G9.

SLC

telf22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
Agreed. I would avoid the point and shoot cameras with a long zoom range. They all use the smallest sensors used in most non-dslr cameras, which is 1/2.5 inches. Smaller zooms use the larger sensors, and the really good quality cameras use the 1/1.7 or 1/1.8 inch sized sensors.

If you want a small camera that takes DSLR quality photos, I'd rather buy an Olympus E-410. Far smaller than other DSLRs on the market, and comes with great packages as well. It'll cost you $500-$600. A G9 costs you around the same, but will take worse photos and give you less control. If you want to see how much smaller the E410 is, just hold the Olympus and compare it to another small DSLR like the Nikon D40 or Pentax K100D. The Olympus is noticeably smaller.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...lSearch=yes&O=RootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t
thx, that camera looks nice. i dont know if i want a very good compact camera or an average SLR. im going 2 go down 2 b&h in a few minutes. :)

jerryrock

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Amsterdam, NY
I actually own a Canon Powershot G9! My primary camera is a Canon EOS 1Ds (the original). The G9 is a wonderful compact camera that goes places my SLR doesn't. The image quality is best in it's class and it takes HD video too. It has a hot shoe for an external flash unit and well placed controls. The face detection technology works wonderfully and the anti shake mechanism adds about 2 stops to exposures.

This would be a great choice for a first camera or a carry around for those that already own a SLR.
:cool:

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
Get a compact or an SLR.

compromises get you very little.

Portability or power. Pick your poison.

Given the low price of most compacts, I would recommend getting a nice compact first, then a decent SLR.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
thx, that camera looks nice. i dont know if i want a very good compact camera or an average SLR. im going 2 go down 2 b&h in a few minutes. :)

I really don't think there's such thing as an "average SLR". They ALL take very good photos, even when comparing the most expensive models to the cheapest models. With expensive models, you're really paying for features that will allow certain users to get the photos they want.

However, if you are to compare a digital SLR to a G9, the DSLR will probably win every time. The Olympus is cheap, smaller than small DSLRs like the Nikon D40, and is perfect for a low weight rig. Even as a Nikon user, if I want a small camera next time, I'd rather get this camera with 2 kit lenses than a G9, or the new Nikon, or the Fuji S9000 or whatever they're called. There's no point. They're not much smaller, and

The benefits they do have are a video mode, and really good "Live View", where you can use the LCD to frame a shot (like with most point and shoot cameras) rather than the viewfinder. If these things are important, then get the G9. Otherwise, you're paying a lot for a lesser camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.