Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
:eek::eek::eek:

$6000 for the 200mm and $12,000 for the 800mm!!

The EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM and EF200mm f/2L IS USM are professional L-Series lenses that incorporate the latest generation of Canon’s high-performance Optical Image Stabilizer system (OIS), giving them a stabilization effect equivalent to a shutter speed four settings faster. In addition, they feature optical systems utilizing fluorite and UD lens elements to provide excellent chromatic aberration correction for high-resolution, high-contrast shooting performance. Both lenses use only lead-free glass, and also incorporate lightweight yet durable magnesium alloy lens barrels with enhanced resistance to moisture and dust.

The Canon EF200mm f/2L IS USM is an exceptionally sharp lens that is significantly lighter (2520g/5.5 lbs. vs. 3000g/6.6 lbs.) than its predecessor, the renowned EF200mm f/1.8L USM lens, while adding OIS and a weather-resistant design. Ideal for all kinds of low-light photography including portraiture as well as indoor sports, the EF200mm f/2L IS USM has a close-focus setting of 1.9 m/6.2 feet and a circular aperture system that enhances its background blur rendition at wide apertures.

The Canon EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM is not only the longest focal length lens available with OIS, it is also virtually the same physical size as the EF600mm f/4L IS USM (461mm vs. 456mm), while weighing nearly 2 lbs. less (4500g/9.9 lbs. vs. 5360g/11.8 lbs.). These outstanding features were made possible by the use of a lightweight magnesium alloy lens barrel construction and a state-of-the-art super-telephoto optical system featuring 2 fluorite elements as well as Super UD and UD glass elements. The EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM is well-suited for a wide variety of long-range photo applications such as wildlife and nature photography as well as sports and documentary photojournalism.

The new Canon EF200mm f/2L IS USM is scheduled to be available in April at an estimated retail price of $5,999.00 and the new Canon EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM is scheduled to be available in May for an estimated retail price of $11,999.00.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Let's see....$12000 for an 800mm f/5.6 IS lens.

Or spend $7450 for an 840mm f/5.6 IS lens by adding a $7200 600mm f/4 IS + ($250) 1.4x extender!! :D

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
Wow. Looks like some great glass for professionals. Can't wait to see some shots from these lenses. If the 200 is like its predecessor it will likely be incredible for anyone who uses it. I guess my hopes and dreams of a 24-70 f/2.8L IS are down the drain since it would probably be priced in a similar league (at least for now). Any pictures of the lenses? The canon press releases' pics are not working.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
The lenses have been out for a while -- Canon actually announced the lenses a while back. Now they are (soon) available.

ef_200_2.jpg

ef_800_56.jpg

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Does anyone remember what the retail price for the 200mm f/1.8 was when it came out? Although Canon added IS and some focus sets, the new model is a slower lens...

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
As I understand it, it's to mitigate the way heat buildup can affect the internal lens elements.

I've heard Nikon doesn't need to do this because their ED glass doesn't have that same issue with temperature swings - I'm sure more knowledgeable people will weigh in on this though. :D

Nikon sells certain white lenses everywhere but America. you can get imported white Nikon lenses at B&H but don't have 5 year US warranty.

I stand corrected, BH now sells some of the white Nikon lenses with USA warranty, I still wouldn't buy it over a black one though, just personal preference.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/278173-USA/Nikon_2140_70_200mm_f_2_8D_VR_G_AFS.html

"According to Nikon, the offering of light gray paint on the 70-200mm is a purely cosmetic option. The light gray paint provides no substantive benefit to the operation of the lens."

Canon really doesn't need to paint their lenses white anymore but they still do, they used to use an inferior low-dispersion material causing them to paint it white to keep the heat down. But as far as I know now there isn't a problem. I guess it's trendy for them.

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
Does anyone remember what the retail price for the 200mm f/1.8 was when it came out? Although Canon added IS and some focus sets, the new model is a slower lens...

I believe that it cost around $4600 when it was first released a while ago and $3400 at the end of its life. I guess inflation adjusted it may be around the same price give or take a few hundred (or thousand lol).

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
ppc_michael said:
Why are the pro lenses white? Kinda looks tacky to me.

As I understand it, it's to mitigate the way heat buildup can affect the internal lens elements.

I've heard Nikon doesn't need to do this because their ED glass doesn't have that same issue with temperature swings - I'm sure more knowledgeable people will weigh in on this though. :D

well...I'm not knowledgable specific to how either one builds their lenses, but I do know a bit about solar loading.

Simplistically, the side of the lens that is in the sun will heat up more (thus, expand) than the side in the shade.

Similarly simplistically, since black absorbs more solar heat than white (which reflects it), using black will create a larger temperature gradiant opportunity.

The devil's in the details from here, in two ways:

#1 is the question of if the difference in solar load is big enough to worry about. For most general practitioners, probably not (because we're not living in the Sahara desert), particularly since we expose our cameras to other sources of thermal gradiants, such as simply by taking them in & outdoors without giving it hours to thermally equalize.

#2 is specific to the internal guts of each design and the degree to which the specifics of the design are/aren't sensitive to a thermal gradiant that would cause optical allignment issues. Since we don't know the specifics of the designs, we can't answer this one.

I will say two other things, though. The first is that regardless of if the contribution is real or merely theoretical, Canon has done a good job of using the white lens body in its marketing. The second is that in the appropriate climates, a black "anything" can literally get too hot to touch. Even if the device is safe from such temperatures (140F plus), your hands are not.

-hh

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
There's also something to be said about looking on the sidelines at the Super Bowl and seeing a fleet of white lenses. Everyone knows that those guys are shooting Canon and will remember that.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
There's also something to be said about looking on the sidelines at the Super Bowl and seeing a fleet of white lenses. Everyone knows that those guys are shooting Canon and will remember that.

You can't know how many people say to them selves "All the pros are using a Canon EOS-1D with white "L" glass so that stuff must be the best. Therefore I'll buy a Rebel with the 18-55mm lens."

Yes the logic is stupid but it works.

And if you think that is stupid why is it that NASCAR requires that the plastic body on the race car exactly match the shape of the steel body on the standard production car?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
"According to Nikon, the offering of light gray paint on the 70-200mm is a purely cosmetic option. The light gray paint provides no substantive benefit to the operation of the lens."

So if you want to blend in on the sideline... :D

I'm curious to see if we start to see more Nikons on the sidelines again, what with the superior noise handling of the D3. Of course I realize Canon's not going to stand still either, plus if you've got $20K or so invested in Canon glass you won't be all that eager to switch.

The competition is good for everyone, in any case!

Canon really doesn't need to paint their lenses white anymore but they still do, they used to use an inferior low-dispersion material causing them to paint it white to keep the heat down. But as far as I know now there isn't a problem. I guess it's trendy for them.

That makes sense.

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
Let's see....$12000 for an 800mm f/5.6 IS lens.

Or spend $7450 for an 840mm f/5.6 IS lens by adding a $7200 600mm f/4 IS + ($250) 1.4x extender!! :D

Or take the 400 2.8 with a 2x extender... But I would not do that because:

1- lost of image quality. This is mostly visible if using a full frame body since the lost of quality is more visible around the edges of the lens.

2- you can add the 1.4x ot 2x extender to the 800mm :)

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
For Canon, 5.6 is the max autofocus for non-1 series bodies. f/8 is possible (center) for 1 series. At f/11 -- you're on your own. But frankly, at distances requiring 800mm and farther, manual is probably easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.