Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baron58

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2004
I eBay'd some old computer stuff, and splurged on a Canon G9 as a 'from me/to me' present. While I've used many digital cameras, none of them mine ;) , this will be the first one that is my very own.

In highschool & college I worked in darkrooms and did plenty of film/print processing, so my last camera was a Minolta Maxxum 7000i. I didn't want a dSLR for the same reasons that I stopped using the Minolta - too big, fragile, expensive and clunky to actually *use* conveniently. The G9 is the best compromise of being a-l-m-o-s-t like a dSLR in features, with a size that makes it usable for me.

In addition to the camera itself, I'm getting a 4GB UltraIII SDHC card, aux lens mount + Tiffen UV filter, an extra battery and an A/C power adapter. I already have a tripod.

I've seen no threads here about the G9 or the older/similar G7. Anyone have either of them? Any real-world use advice for settings?

macinfojunkie

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
with such a sophisticated compact its very had to give any advice without knowing what you are going to use it for. All I can suggest is that you hop over to http://www.photo.net and/or http://www.dpreview.com and take a look at their forums. I'm sure you'll find more targeted info there. I don't have the G9 myself, but I've sued a G6 (and I own a number of EOS DSLRs which have more or less the same types of settings).

Things to focus on/consider:

• Understand White Balance setting
  • Decide if you need JPG or RAW files
  • Decide which colour space you are going to use. Your choice of software will dictate that as much as anything.
  • Get your camera/software/lcd/printer workflow calibrated for the colour space you'll use.

jerryrock

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Amsterdam, NY
I eBay'd some old computer stuff, and splurged on a Canon G9 as a 'from me/to me' present. While I've used many digital cameras, none of them mine ;) , this will be the first one that is my very own.

In highschool & college I worked in darkrooms and did plenty of film/print processing, so my last camera was a Minolta Maxxum 7000i. I didn't want a dSLR for the same reasons that I stopped using the Minolta - too big, fragile, expensive and clunky to actually *use* conveniently. The G9 is the best compromise of being a-l-m-o-s-t like a dSLR in features, with a size that makes it usable for me.

In addition to the camera itself, I'm getting a 4GB UltraIII SDHC card, aux lens mount + Tiffen UV filter, an extra battery and an A/C power adapter. I already have a tripod.

I've seen no threads here about the G9 or the older/similar G7. Anyone have either of them? Any real-world use advice for settings?

I've been using mine for about 3 months now. The lens is not threaded and can not fit a filter, it retracts into the camera body. The aux lens mount is not necessary unless you are purchasing add on lenses which in my opinion defeat the purpose of an ultra portable point & shoot.

I bought this camera to take places that I would not take my DSLR.
The RAW capability and hot shoe mount separate this camera from it's competitors.

Baron58

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2004
The lens is not threaded and can not fit a filter, it retracts into the camera body. The aux lens mount is not necessary unless you are purchasing add on lenses
...or the aforementioned filter. There are some situations when the aux mount will act as a sun hood, filter mount, and additional protection. Most of the time I won't be using it.

which in my opinion defeat the purpose of an ultra portable point & shoot.
IMHO it increases flexibility. If I *want* to lug around the aux mount + filter(s) + lens(es) + external flash, I *can*, but I don't have to. With a dSLR you have no choice not to, with most other compacts you don't have a choice *to* do it.

The RAW capability and hot shoe mount separate this camera from it's competitors.

My thoughts exactly.

Baron58

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2004
  • Understand White Balance setting
  • Decide if you need JPG or RAW files
  • Decide which colour space you are going to use. Your choice of software will dictate that as much as anything.
  • Get your camera/software/lcd/printer workflow calibrated for the colour space you'll use.

The White Balance and colour space are what I'll have to take the time to learn. I'll use JPG for most casual shooting, but when I set out with the intent to 'do some photography', having the RAW capability will be great.

I'm going to hold off on software until Adobe finally gets around to an Intel-native version of PS Elements, and/or I decide to splurge some more and get Aperture.

jerryrock

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Amsterdam, NY
...or the aforementioned filter. There are some situations when the aux mount will act as a sun hood, filter mount, and additional protection. Most of the time I won't be using it.

IMHO it increases flexibility. If I *want* to lug around the aux mount + filter(s) + lens(es) + external flash, I *can*, but I don't have to. With a dSLR you have no choice not to, with most other compacts you don't have a choice *to* do it.

Dude, you asked for opinions from people who have experience with the camera. If you are going to refute each point I make, at least wait until you actually get some experience with it.

Baron58

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2004
I have pretty much the same kit, my main advice is keep the ISO 200 or below and always shoot RAW.

Thank you. Best to use the ISO 200 setting on the wheel as a default, and avoid 'Auto'?

Do you see a significant difference between jpgs generated in-camera, and jpgs from raw images, *everything else being equal*?

andrewkendall

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
Do you see a significant difference between jpgs generated in-camera, and jpgs from raw images, *everything else being equal*?

The camera definitely gives best results with a decent dose of RAW post processing. With a straight conversion there isn't much between RAW and JPEG but that's not what it's about, the flexibility of white balance and better exposure compensation in post is enough reason to always shoot RAW.

With the ISO I'd say never set the the dial to auto!

fjderd42

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2009
G9 RAW setting

I have pretty much the same kit, my main advice is keep the ISO 200 or below and always shoot RAW.

I recently got a used G9 and I would like to shoot RAW. Although I have set it to RAW I still get only JPEG images.

I know I must have set it incorrectly and/or incompletely but I cannot find any info in the manual nor in the "Canon Powershot" book I have.

Can anyone offer any advice??

Thanks for your help.

sarge

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Brooklyn
Raw & Jpeg

You probably have the camera set to record both RAW and JPEG files, which is not always a bad thing. Bcause I have not upgraded to the latest version of PS, I could not view RAW files from my G10 on my computer - in bridge it would just show an unreadable canon raw icon instead of a thumbnail and so was taking both jpegs and raw so that i could at least edit the files.

If you don't have the manual, I always find this site helpful for operating instructions:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong9/

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't use auto. Start using the programer and read the manual. Brush up on photo terminology. The Canon G series is as good as the person using it.

I would give more specific advice but I have no idea how close you G9 is to my G10.

TheHareBear

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland
Don't use auto. Start using the programer and read the manual. Brush up on photo terminology. The Canon G series is as good as the person using it.

I would give more specific advice but I have no idea how close you G9 is to my G10.

Its the same in that area. I had a G9 that was nicked a few months ago and got a G10 with the insurance money. Wish it had happened later so that it was a G11 instead which seems like a good step up though more expensive.

I don't have it in front of me for the detailed instructions so feel free to give the specifics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.