Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.

Specs:

- 3.7" screen, VGA resolution, viewing angle 160°
- Available in two versions, 30 or 80 GB (1.8" hard drives)
- Control layout similar to EOS cameras
- Powered by BP-511A battery
- supports EOS RAW formats, as well as JOG and TIFF
- Supports MPEG movies and MP3 music
- CF and SD slot
- downloads 37 (CF) or 32 (SD) 1GB cards with one battery load
- alternatively allows 3,5 hours slide show or 2,6 hours video playback
- USB2 port
- optional password protection
- video port (PAL/NTSC)
- pricing and availability will be announce in October

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I think it makes sense for long day trips or weekends when you can't bring your computer along. Frankly, I don't have 80GB free on my computer anyway. Storing them on this might be a great thing.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I like the idea behind it, but if it also handled non-Canon RAW files, I'd consider. :p

Seriously, think about how much thunder Canon could bring if they decided to support other RAW file types as well. It would totally make Nikon, Olympus, and Pentax cry. This is a nice unit, after all.

The Epson does look better and have a larger screen, though....

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
wow makes me mad i just purchased a portable hard drive.
i wonder what the price will come out at. I love my new Canon 5D. this will go nicely with it

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
carletonmusic said:
wow, anyone have an idea how much these units are going to cost?

Most of the big brands charge $499 and up.

Cheap third party units can be found for as little as $150.

serpent said:
pop a lens on the other side and i makes one neat camera.

Olympus had an m:robe model that was a camera, as well as having a hard drive to store photos and songs. It was someone heavy as a camera and sunk quickly.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I suppose if you're pro and dropping $4k + on a camera, another $500 won't break the bank. Oh well, I can always dream! :D

islandman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
Very sexy! I definitely want one. I have a 20D/30D and do weddings, so this would be perfect!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
SpankyPenzaanz said:
if it only had firewire 800 or even 400

If it was a device for video, it probably would have FireWire, and cost over $1000. USB 2.0 Hi-Speed is fine for these kinds of devices.

SpankyPenzaanz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
bousozoku said:
If it was a device for video, it probably would have FireWire, and cost over $1000. USB 2.0 Hi-Speed is fine for these kinds of devices.
Not for me I want sustainable rates and I have never seen usb2 do that

wilburdl

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2006
Atlanta
carletonmusic said:
I don't think there is anything with wireless -- just a connection from USB2.

I'm hoping. The WFT-E1A seems like such a hassle and cost a bundle. I'd like the image to pop up as you're shooting like the iPAQ and Leaf.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
I'm most definately going to be looking into one of these.

I was planning on purchasing an epson p2000/4000 a while back but held off because it just wasnt... rugged or.. reliable. ( at least with Canon RAW )

now that canon is making one, im pumped! I only shoot canon digital, and I really honestly dont see myself trading to any other company ( unless i go back to hasselblad way in the future )

if i can float the cash ill definitely get one.

wilburdl

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2006
Atlanta
Obsidian6 said:
I'm most definately going to be looking into one of these.

I was planning on purchasing an epson p2000/4000 a while back but held off because it just wasnt... rugged or.. reliable. ( at least with Canon RAW )

now that canon is making one, im pumped! I only shoot canon digital, and I really honestly dont see myself trading to any other company ( unless i go back to hasselblad way in the future )

if i can float the cash ill definitely get one.

Well I've had the p-2000 for over a year and have to say it's pretty good. The screen is nice and I've dropped it once or twice and it's survived thus far. The only thing about the RAW is that you can't zoom in--but other than that, I've had no problem viewing them. Other formats are the issues and sometimes file sizes can be a problem. But by all means--get this thing--it looks like a winner to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.