Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
TS-E 17mm €2499
TS-E 24mm €2299

Seems kinda pricey, but these are very specific lenses.

Attachments

• newtse17.jpg
    newtse17.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 214
  • tse-17.jpg
    tse-17.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 112
  • newtse24.jpg
    newtse24.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 98

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I was stalling on the 24mm TSE as a few reported the quality to be a little suspect. The new one should address that, mind you the 17mm looks good (apart from the price). Maybe i'll hire it first.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Sweet! Now where is my 12-24 f/2.8L and 24-70 f/2.8L IS?

I'm right there with you. A 12-24mm would be an instant purchase! I don't think we'll see a 24-70mm IS version, just because the wide and standard focal length doesn't really need it -- and the current version is already a tank!

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
I know some people were definitely waiting for these..... Nice.... but late of Canon!
And TS[R]-E Lenses.. well Canon can charge us anything and unfortunately we will have to pay for them..... or get the Lensbabies LOL.. ROFL

12-24 f2.8 IS... Hmmmmm.. I really doubt IS will be that important in this range but.. a feature none the less!
F/2.8 will definitely be good but once again I'll question its 'extreme' importance since the field of view will undoubtedly make DoF a non issue (or an issue for bokeh lovers but they'd hardly buy something like 12-24 for just the 2.8) and the theoretical handholding at 1/12th of a second isnt going to be that bad! Finally, for a landscape lens... imho, repeat IMHO, tremendously long exposures are rarely required except as in HDR!

rroback

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
I'd like a 14m f/2.8 III ... just kidding. the new lenses look great, although I'm not in need of ts stuff. I'd like a L series lens, somewhere between 15-20.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Never used a TS-E lens.

Other than for architectural photography (the applications to which I understand), what is the use of this technology?

I see some people using for weddings and portraits - what does this create that a standard WA lens will not?

jimothyGator

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Never used a TS-E lens.

Other than for architectural photography (the applications to which I understand), what is the use of this technology?

I see some people using for weddings and portraits - what does this create that a standard WA lens will not?

TS lens can also be used for selective focus, and to radically reduce or increase depth of field. As an example of the latter: Imagine a field of flowers in front of a mountain range. Mere inches in front of the lens is a single flower. A TS lens would allow you to keep everything from the single flower to the mountain range, and the field in between, in sharp focus. Even a wide angle lens with a narrow aperture isn't going to do that. I use this example because it's one I've seen in a book: The book showed one photo taken with a regular wide angle lens, and one with a TS lens. The depth of field for the regular lens was very shallow, despite the wide angle and small aperture.

As an example, on a full-frame DSLR, a 17mm lens at f/22, focused on a flower one foot a way, would give only about six inches DOF. Creative use of a TS lens could result in an infinite DOF.

You've probably also seen examples of the other approach, of giving a very shallow depth of field, when you've seen pictures of a city that appear to be a miniature. A regular wide angle lens, even wide open, would give a very large DOF when focused on buildings hundreds of yards away. TS can reduce that DOF to give the miniature effect.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
I know some people were definitely waiting for these..... Nice.... but late of Canon!
And TS[R]-E Lenses.. well Canon can charge us anything and unfortunately we will have to pay for them..... or get the Lensbabies LOL.. ROFL

12-24 f2.8 IS... Hmmmmm.. I really doubt IS will be that important in this range but.. a feature none the less!
F/2.8 will definitely be good but once again I'll question its 'extreme' importance since the field of view will undoubtedly make DoF a non issue (or an issue for bokeh lovers but they'd hardly buy something like 12-24 for just the 2.8) and the theoretical handholding at 1/12th of a second isnt going to be that bad! Finally, for a landscape lens... imho, repeat IMHO, tremendously long exposures are rarely required except as in HDR!

IS is only rumored to make an apperance on the new 24-70 f/2.8, not the (rumored) new 12-24 f/2.8

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
As jimothyGator tried to explain, you can tilt the focal plane independently of the body. You can still maintain a narrow depth of field within the plane though (ie. all of the flowers in a field can be focused, but the sky above can be blurry). I really dislike a lot of the artistic TS shots I have seen, but some are interesting and not easy to create with any other method.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Never used a TS-E lens.

Another application for tilt-shift lenses seems to be in the capture of multi-image/multi-row panoramic photos for landscape imagery. A tilt-shift lens lets the perspective remain unchanged as the camera is revolved around a horizontal or vertical (or both) axis. People are using this technique to synthesize high megapixel images.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Does it take a lot of time to create these DOF effects (in terms of setup) or is it something that can be done very quickly in practical use?

Does the effect rotate around the center focus point, or anywhere in the field of view? How can you tell around which area you are working the effect?

thanks for the answers, this is one area of photography I have absolutely no experience in.

Apr 10, 2007
Man I want a TS lens, if nikon, tamron, or sigma, offered a alright quality TS lens for under $1000 I would be all over that!

jimothyGator

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Does it take a lot of time to create these DOF effects (in terms of setup) or is it something that can be done very quickly in practical use?

Does the effect rotate around the center focus point, or anywhere in the field of view? How can you tell around which area you are working the effect?

thanks for the answers, this is one area of photography I have absolutely no experience in.

Short answer is, yes, this'll take more time to set up than simply snapping a photo with a regular lens. You'll want to set the lens on a tripod, adjust the tilt, shift, and rotate settings while you look through the view finder, and manually focus—TS-E lenses have no auto focus. There are so many manual controls that a TS shot takes time to compose. But that's a good thing; you've got much more control over your shot.

Combine the shift with the tilt, and you've got a degree of freedom on where the plane of focus lies; it needed be centered about the center of the lens. You use the view finder to check the effect before taking the exposure. So, that means the bigger and brighter your viewfinder, the easier this (and manually focusing) will be. So using a TS-E lens with a 40D is easier than a Rebel, and a 5D or 1D(s) will be easier still.

This review does a nice job of explaining what a tilt-shift lens is, and how it can be used:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-TS-E-45mm-f-2.8-Tilt-Shift-Lens-Review.aspx

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
TS[R]-E lenses are really the best lenses out there... rather lenses as they should've been! If only they were lighter, smaller, motorized, give AF and be less expensive... lol

The advantages of such a lens are many... for me, the best advantage can be the DoF control.... it is unimaginably good a feature and a boon for almost any one working with bokeh.. the 90mm TS[R]-E is really good for this!
Second is of course the perspective control... there is nothing more disastrous than a leaning Empire state building or a straight tower of Pisa....
Shift comes in really handy in two cases.... the first as mentioned before is Panoramas and the second is avoiding glare... a shiny surface reflecting another light source ruins the photograph so you can nicely have this covered by shift.
Rotate is a really useful function... commonly used for angle differentiation!

But then again... these are some of the very basic examples which provide just a glimpse of how useful these lenses are when used creatively with an open mind....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.