Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hdsalinas

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
About a week ago, @ 3 am we were awaken by a magnitude 7 earthquake.
Thank to God, we are all fine. The only thing that got "damaged" was my brand new Canon XS dsrl.

The camera was only a few weeks old and I had only taken about 50 pictures with it. I had it set on top of a tall dresser to guard it against my 3 year old son. After the earthquake, we found the camera laying on the floor inside its case (a lowpro case). After a brief inspection everything seemed to be fine.

I took the camera out this weekend to take a few pictures of the kid and noticed that the lens release button had broken off. I now have to stick my finger and press a metal tab to release the lens. No big deal but its a shame since it is a brand new camera.

The other problem has me worried a bit. I noticed that most of the pictures come out a bit blurry. Since I had taken only a few images before the "fall" I have not much to compare with but I am afraid that there is something wrong with the lens. It seems that the image stabilizer is not working. I will make further test to see wether this is true or not. I have no other lens than the kit one that came with the camera.

The only thing weird on the lens itself is that when I move the zoom ring from 24 to 55mm you feel a very small rough area in the ring travel, Is this normal or a sign of a lens defect / damage.

thanks

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
I don't think that is normal in the lens. It should be pretty smooth the whole way through.

The camera does not have image stabilization, and I am pretty sure that the lens that you mention does not either.

I would recommend borrowing a friend's lens and trying that one to see if it's a lens or camera problem.

hdsalinas

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
The lens does have image stabilization. It says so in the lens and has the button to switch it on and off.

Thanks, I will go to a store today and see if the demo unit zoom ring feels the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.