Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Folks undoubtably have noted the release of the new Canon's featuring the Digic III processor today. The new releases include 3 new Elphs - includiing a 10 MP Elph with the new face recogniztion "feature" and the new 10 MP G7 with IS, an update of the G6. Most exciting, I thought was the G7 and the release of DigicIII. The G7 shoots RAW and has a nice ISO dial on the top.

CanonG7_specsview.jpg

canonG7_frontback-001.jpg

PowerShot-G7-BSR-TOP.jpg

More at: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06091405_canon_g7.asp

"Face Detection AF/AE
For portrait and group shots, the PowerShot G7 is equipped with Face Detection AF/AE, a new Canon technology that automatically detects up to nine faces within a frame and sets the optimum focus and exposure accordingly. If there is more than one face in a frame Face Detection AF/AE is able to determine the face or faces intended to be the main focus. The system operates at the same speed as Canon’s established 9-point AiAF system, which it automatically reverts to if no face detection is required or intended.

Designed for photographers
Referencing classic rangefinder cameras, the ergonomic design features analogue inspired controls, a multi-control dial and a customisable shortcut button for faster access to camera settings. Usability is further enhanced with a high resolution (207,000 pixels) 2.5" LCD. The low-reflection screen coating aids visibility in sunny conditions while a wide viewing angle helps with group viewing or and aids more creative framing options.

A selection of 25 shooting modes includes full Manual and two custom settings, enabling users to tailor the camera to their specific preferences. Shooting modes are complemented by advanced settings such as AEB (auto exposure bracketing), focus bracketing, and an integrated neutral density (ND) filter with 3 stops adjustment. Photographers can also take advantage of second curtain flash synchronisation for creative flash exposures, while interval shooting (up to 100 shots in 1-60 minute increments) allows for extended time-lapse photography of up to four days.
Advanced movie functions include high resolution XGA (1024 x 768 pixels) video capture with sound at 15fps. Users can also record VGA and QVGA movies at a smooth 30fps.

A new Safety Zoom feature allows users to extend the camera's zoom range without interpolation affecting image quality. Images can be captured at up to 14x zoom with enough resolution for lab-quality postcard (10 x 15cm) prints. Photographers can also enable the Digital Tele-Converter3 feature for added telephoto reach on every shot, without the reduction in aperture typically caused by optical tele-converters."

This may be a great near do-it-all P&S for folks in that market.

On DigicIII: DIGIC III
"Canon’s DIGIC III (DIGital Imaging Core) image processor manages all of the camera’s primary functions to optimize operating efficiency. Advanced image processing algorithms deliver superb image detail and colour reproduction with accurate white balance. Key improvements over DIGIC II include markedly faster response times, advanced Noise Reduction Technology and support for Canon's Face Detection AF/AE technology. DIGIC III also enables the PowerShot G7 to support DDR-SDRAM, effectively doubling data throughput rates for even faster performance"

DigicII was fast, so this will be neat to see. Implications are for even faster SLRs.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
law guy said:
The G7 shoots RAW

Where did you read that it can write RAW files? Everything I've read says that the G7 does not support RAW - unlike it's predecessor, the G6

Here are a couple more things the G6 had that are now disappointingly missing from the G7:

tilt/swivel LCD
faster lens (widest aperture was f/2 - now it's f/2.8)

In fact, most of the people in the Canon forum at dpreview.com are up in arms over it - saying that the G7 is basically just another A series camera, and I tend to agree.

Sure it has a hotshoe, and a higher res LCD screen... but other than that? Disappointing :(

fuzzwud

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2004
Houston
Reminds me of my old Nikon FE ... I love the shutter speed and program dials. It's a classic looking camera. I still haven't gotten used to my Canon Rebel XT

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
atari1356 said:
Where did you read that it can write RAW files?

That's to bad. All Canons lack this now.

I'd like a new P&S to use under water to replace my older A-series Canon but the one "must have" feature I want is RAW format. This puts all Canons completely out of the running. The Olympus has this.

White balanceis very hard under water as is exposure so I tend to do a lot in post processing. RAW helps with images that need a lot of work.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
ChrisA said:
That's to bad. All Canons lack this now.
Not surprising since the innards are all pretty much the same from camera to camera. :( I love my S45, it's about the most feature filled P&S, including RAW....

B

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
It has a few interesting features, but it isn't really all that different from the new A640/630, which is smaller, much less money, and has that very useful tilt-swivel screen.

They should have given the G7 a tilt-swivel screen, a wider-angle, faster lens (but with less tele) and RAW. Maybe, though, DIGIC III and SR coatings are worth the extra expense. I suppose the reviewers will tell the tale.

Also, I think that iso dial is overkill. Much better to have made that the shutter speed dial, and then to have put an iso ring around the base of that dial, like the old days. Then put in an 2 e.v. +/- exposure indicator, and an aperture ring around the base of the lens. Digital isn't always better. In fact, for all their convenience in program mode, most cameras are now much harder to use in manual mode than the pre-computerized models.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
atari1356 said:
Where did you read that it can write RAW files? Everything I've read says that the G7 does not support RAW - unlike it's predecessor, the G6

Here are a couple more things the G6 had that are now disappointingly missing from the G7:

tilt/swivel LCD
faster lens (widest aperture was f/2 - now it's f/2.8)

In fact, most of the people in the Canon forum at dpreview.com are up in arms over it - saying that the G7 is basically just another A series camera, and I tend to agree.

Sure it has a hotshoe, and a higher res LCD screen... but other than that? Disappointing :(

Yep - I misread re: RAW when I first was looking at the info on the G7. That is disappointing. And looking at the Canon website, they've finally removed the nice but in need of an update pro 1 high-end P&S. One P&S in the line up with RAW and CF would be nice.

Ever feel like we're going backwards? Last year, you could have even purchased an S70 pocket P&S with RAW and CF. The S80 always struck me as a step down and the IQ wasn't as good; same story with my old CF Elph 400 that refused to produce red eye though tiny, my SD400 has poor IQ compared to it. The G7 has improvements over the G6, but some of those critical features are just gone.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
I have a previous-generation G-series, but I rarely shot in RAW, so the omission of that format is not a deal breaker for me. What is much more disappointing to me is the lack of wideangle.

Fortunately, the new SD800 has a 28-105mm lens! FINALLY! Now, Canon, that wasn't so hard was it??

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
ksz said:
I have a previous-generation G-series, but I rarely shot in RAW, so the omission of that format is not a deal breaker for me. What is much more disappointing to me is the lack of wideangle.

Fortunately, the new SD800 has a 28-105mm lens! FINALLY! Now, Canon, that wasn't so hard was it??

That new Ixus 850 IS (in Asia) looks pretty sweet, alright. I really like how those little Canons feel/operate--by far my favorite, in that respect. I might get one, but...I'd sure like to have some depth of field control, once in a while. Also, I want to see more samples than the 4 Canon has posted; those Ixus tend to have soft corners at widest angle. My Ixus 55 sure does.
There's still the possibility that Canon will update the S80 before/at Photokina, giving it IS and digic III. That would be more my cup o' tea at the moment. (make it stealth black like the GRD for sneaky candids) I'd pay 500 for that. If such a camera is coming, that could explain why the G7 has no wide-angle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.