Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Hi all. Finally have the money to get a dSLR, and am stuck between the two above options. At first, I didn't even realize the 30D was an option, but then I noticed its price on B&H (where I plan to order from, cheap even though I'm in Canada), which is exactly the same as the XSi's. So, I was looking for opinions about the merits of each, and essentially which one to ultimately buy, as well as lens recommendations. I have about $1100 to use, so bear this in mind. Also, this will be my first dSLR; I've used many but have never owned; my current kit which I've been using variously for 3-4 years includes a Pentax MX, Minolta Dynax 500si, and a Canon P&S SD400, all of which I've been extremely satisfied with (to note, my main reason for going digital is the cost of 35mm, to be honest I think I prefer it for most things). My uses for the camera will be many- I'm not looking to buy it for exclusively portraits, landscapes, etc, and I plan to use it next year extensively should I get into Ryerson Photography (if any of the faculty are reading this, could you please let me know soon? Cheers)- if I don't, I'll still use it, though obviously not as much (re: Humanities).
This is how it goes:
  • 30D= 799 (Or 709 used- is B&H good with used products? Seems like they are, good policy too.); XSi= 799 [both body only]
    30D= 8MP; XSi= 12 (don't care)
    30D up to ISO 3200; XSi 1600
    30D= 1/8000; XSi= 1/4000 (just in case...)
    30D= 2.5" LCD; XSi= 3"
    30D= CF; XSi= SD etc
    30D= 5fps; XSi= 3.5fps (don't care)
    30D= 1390mAh; XSi= 1050mAh (I assume bigger is longer?)
    Both have 9 focus points
As for lenses, I was thinking that the XSi's kit lens, 18-55mm IS @ 3.5 (174) coupled with the Canon 50mm @ 1.8 (89) would be a good place to start. Other pricier options might be the 17-85 IS @ 4 (489) or the 28-135mm @ 3.5 (399)

One thing I wonder about is, after getting used to the screen on the XTi displaying info, can the 30D do this, or is info only on the top-mounted display and thru the viewfinder (I do realize the 30D's viewfinder displays for info than the XSi's, so I'm sure I can get used to that).
My main question is the difference in the DIGIC procs; the 30D's is II while the XSi's is III- what are the differences between these two? I had read the the XSi's new proc/sensor is better than the XTi's, though does it beat the 30D's? I am very interested in this.

Thank you VERY much for your input. I have been waiting long for this, though I still live 35, and am very excited to get started.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
You forgot spot metering on the 30D.
Anyway I own a 30D and I like it, but I haven't compared it to a Xsi.
My brother owns a Xti (400D). Fancy, but small (ergonomics) and I would really miss the option to use 3200 ISO.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
You forgot spot metering on the 30D.
Anyway I own a 30D and I like it, but I haven't compared it to a Xsi.
My brother owns a Xti (400D). Fancy, but small (ergonomics) and I would really miss the option to use 3200 ISO.
Oops, yeah there's that too. I've grown to like the ergonomics of either, so that isn't a huge deal. Good to know about ISO too.

naftalim

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Got the Canon XSi today, its my first DSLR. I did some research and it seems that its the best in that price range and performance. One that I saw rated alongside it was the Nikon D80 but thats an older unit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.