Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Waragainstsleep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
UK
So the current 2022 iPad does not have a chip that will support the full feature set of Apple Intelligence when it comes out later this year/next year.
I'm wondering if theres an imminent refresh coming for the entry level iPad and will it have an M1 or an A17 Pro CPU? Anyone heard any rumours or got any good guesses?

Squiggles Chitter

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2024
Apple realy likes to force people to buy their more expensive products. I think the iPad 11th gen will have the A15 or A16 bionic chip.

Last edited:

Waragainstsleep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
UK
They don't tend to like to release new products that can't take advantage of existing/imminent/announced features though.

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki

pappkristof

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2015
A17 would be a huge advancement, but I doubt that they are going to make it entry level. It would make the iPad Air look a poor value for the price.

Waragainstsleep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
UK
A17 would be a huge advancement, but I doubt that they are going to make it entry level. It would make the iPad Air look a poor value for the price.
The Airs are M2 now though right? All the Macs are M2 or M3. Thats why I'm thinking the entry level iPad goes M1, use up any supply they have left or any fab capacity they haven't switched to newer nodes and they don't have to release a new product that doesn't support an announced OS feature.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
So the current 2022 iPad does not have a chip that will support the full feature set of Apple Intelligence when it comes out later this year/next year.
I'm wondering if theres an imminent refresh coming for the entry level iPad and will it have an M1 or an A17 Pro CPU? Anyone heard any rumours or got any good guesses?
No imminent refresh. Apple just announced its latest lineup of iPads in May. I wouldn’t look for anything new until at least March 2025 at the earliest.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Some think the iPad 11 might get a chip that can handle it but at the price tag of the iPad 10 before the drop 2 months ago while the iPad 10 remains as the cheaper one

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
8GB and with a performance of at least M1/A17 sounds nice for the budget iPad.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
The entry level iPad is entry level for a reason: it may not have all the features higher end devices enjoy, and such omission is not limited to hardware. Besides, if entry level iPad got M1, what would iPad mini get? M2? That doesn’t make much sense. Also, having too many devices on M1 means software support cut would be more brutal some 3-4 years from now (Only relevant to customer tbh).

Let’s also not forget that Apple Artificial Intelligence is well in its infancy. Why not let pro users beta test it before the masses and price conscious enjoy them in a more complete form?

Reactions: Tagbert

Waragainstsleep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
UK
I see it as too important a feature tbh. Restricting fancy cameras or video codecs, dynamic islands and so on is just another way to differentiate product tiers but if Apple wants to become a leader in AI, and I believe they do, they need Intelligence to get into the hands of as many users as possible as fast as possible.

The whole iPad lineup makes little sense to me. The only reason the iPad Mini has a higher spec than the regular iPad is because they don't want to reduce the price point further. I don't really see the point of the iPad Air any more.

Why not just have small, medium & Pro?

Maybe it'll be an A17 instead of the M1, but I don't see them releasing any more new products that can't run the AI. Not even the next iPhone SE.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I see it as too important a feature tbh. Restricting fancy cameras or video codecs, dynamic islands and so on is just another way to differentiate product tiers but if Apple wants to become a leader in AI, and I believe they do, they need Intelligence to get into the hands of as many users as possible as fast as possible.

The whole iPad lineup makes little sense to me. The only reason the iPad Mini has a higher spec than the regular iPad is because they don't want to reduce the price point further. I don't really see the point of the iPad Air any more.

Why not just have small, medium & Pro?

Maybe it'll be an A17 instead of the M1, but I don't see them releasing any more new products that can't run the AI. Not even the next iPhone SE.
Contrary to what you believe, AI mass adoption like this takes time, and a hasty roll out with catastrophic effect probably is the last thing Apple wants for their so-called ”next big thing”. It’s not about having as many people to use as possible, it’s about having those who generally knows what they are doing to test, experience, and enjoy, before the general Public with a larger portion of “tech illiterate“ can have a more complete and refined experience.

While I agree iPad Air by now probably should just go, there’s no point for Apple to shoehorn AI into all iPads either. For one, that will break apple‘s carefully crafted product hierarchy to nudge more people buying more expensive models. And two, imagine Those base iPad that lasts 10+ years short of replacing the battery, dev would be much less willing to take advantage of newer iPad features unless absolutely necessary.

Waragainstsleep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
UK
Contrary to what you believe, AI mass adoption like this takes time, and a hasty roll out with catastrophic effect probably is the last thing Apple wants for their so-called ”next big thing”. It’s not about having as many people to use as possible, it’s about having those who generally knows what they are doing to test, experience, and enjoy, before the general Public with a larger portion of “tech illiterate“ can have a more complete and refined experience.

While I agree iPad Air by now probably should just go, there’s no point for Apple to shoehorn AI into all iPads either. For one, that will break apple‘s carefully crafted product hierarchy to nudge more people buying more expensive models. And two, imagine Those base iPad that lasts 10+ years short of replacing the battery, dev would be much less willing to take advantage of newer iPad features unless absolutely necessary.

Apple has rarely used software features to differentiate product hierarchy levels. They cut features on older models, not newer ones. When they release a new product that can't use all the features of the OS, people ask why and Apple does not want to tell them the hardware isn't up to the job any more than they want to tell them its so they can charge more money. It's not like it's a pro feature that only hardcore users would want or need. It's a core feature that everyone will want. It's not a super high quality camera or a top binned CPU.

Ai isn't a pro feature, it's all about core apps like your calendar and reminders but much more importantly, it's about search. AI gives Apple a path to circumvent search queries around Google and send them wherever they choose instead. This is an opportunity they thought they'd get with Siri but Siri search was clunky and slightly annoying. Adding AI makes it much more usable. Don't underestimate the value of searching the internet. It's how Google pays for everything they do. Apple will want to spread this far, wide and fast.
I can't think of a time they've released a new product that couldn't handle an OS feature due to inadequate hardware. I do not see them starting here.

Nor do I see any likelihood of a catastrophic rollout by giving it to all new models. Doing a lot of the work on-device mean that there will be less strain on the AI servers and less traffic over the network. It's not like every Apple customer is going to go out and immediately buy a new model anyway. People use this kit for a long time, though the days of 10 year lifespan iPads was only ever the iPad 2. None of the others stayed current/useful anywhere near as long.

Apple's implementation of AI is different because it's much more on device than other vendors who offload everything to the cloud. Many users will like this fact but many more will not care at all. Which means they need to compete when Samsung or Google copy it with a cloud-based facsimile that works on every Galaxy/Android phone without any gatekeeping.
Apple Intelligence could drive a lot of sales if people are getting it and raving about it. It won't drive many if the half-assed spamdroid version has been more widely available for 6 months.

I don't know where you get this tech literate elitist notion from. I can't think of a time Apple has ever done that outside of some of their developer kits and those are a niche compared to any iPhone or iPad rollout.
Apple has never been that great at responding to feedback unless it's extraordinary, there would be little value in such an approach.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BugeyeSTI

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Apple has rarely used software features to differentiate product hierarchy levels. They cut features on older models, not newer ones. When they release a new product that can't use all the features of the OS, people ask why and Apple does not want to tell them the hardware isn't up to the job any more than they want to tell them its so they can charge more money. It's not like it's a pro feature that only hardcore users would want or need. It's a core feature that everyone will want. It's not a super high quality camera or a top binned CPU.
So, imma break it down paragraph by paragraph.
“Rarely use“ doesn’t mean they will NEVER use. Apple has surprised us from time to time when cutting Off devices from latest iOS support, latest example being A10X iPad not supported while A10 does. But put that aside, Apple always wants as many people buying higher end devices as possible.
As for the AI “everyone will want it”, I highly doubt it. iOS nowadays have tons of features general public don’t know or don’t use, for example the preserve camera Setting feature to lock some of them so they don‘t go back to Apple default. I have a hard time believing “everyone will want AI on their device”. Even on this very forum I can see some people wanting to know if there is a way to “turn off AI”, which speaks for themselves.
AI is a core feature in Apple’s mind yes. It’s not a core feature in everyone‘s mind.
Ai isn't a pro feature, it's all about core apps like your calendar and reminders but much more importantly, it's about search. AI gives Apple a path to circumvent search queries around Google and send them wherever they choose instead. This is an opportunity they thought they'd get with Siri but Siri search was clunky and slightly annoying. Adding AI makes it much more usable. Don't underestimate the value of searching the internet. It's how Google pays for everything they do. Apple will want to spread this far, wide and fast.
I can't think of a time they've released a new product that couldn't handle an OS feature due to inadequate hardware. I do not see them starting here.
AI might not be a pro feature in your mind, but even if you just talk about search, it is still quite an advanced feature compared to “math notes” which school kids can benefit from greatly. Unlike traditional search, you have to know how to carefully construct your query to get the best result possible, since there is no script/syntax to follow along. Besides, if search is the cornerstone of AI, Apple doesn’t have to limit AI search behind 8GB of RAM no, Considering searching Google means query is guaranteed to be sent to servers for processing?
However, let’s say 8GB of RAM and M1 are given to base model devices, same as base model M3 iPad Pro released not too long ago, what would people think? Oh and M1 is a variant of A14, and current base model iPad is also on A14, meaning little performance gain for 8GB of RAM and a brand new SKU. I wonder what would people think when they buy current iPad a couple of days/weeks prior to that assumed refresh.
Nor do I see any likelihood of a catastrophic rollout by giving it to all new models. Doing a lot of the work on-device mean that there will be less strain on the AI servers and less traffic over the network. It's not like every Apple customer is going to go out and immediately buy a new model anyway. People use this kit for a long time, though the days of 10 year lifespan iPads was only ever the iPad 2. None of the others stayed current/useful anywhere near as long.
If you have seen the CloudStrike and Microsoft fiasco and the global fallout of our digital world, you will know why I support a staged rollout instead of rolling out all at once. AI change is big for Apple, and generally tweaking AI is akin to play with a black box. You don’t want a rouge AI spitting out dangerous nonsense and controversial news dominate headlines, social media platforms and more, hurting the pretty much the last chance to salvage Siri.
While you are right That many, if not most people would not go rush out and buy a new iPad just for the sake of AI anyways, this further proves that staged rollout is better than releasing all at once to everyone. Who knows, maybe some bits of AI can be released to slightly less RAM machine later.
Apple's implementation of AI is different because it's much more on device than other vendors who offload everything to the cloud. Many users will like this fact but many more will not care at all. Which means they need to compete when Samsung or Google copy it with a cloud-based facsimile that works on every Galaxy/Android phone without any gatekeeping.
Apple Intelligence could drive a lot of sales if people are getting it and raving about it. It won't drive many if the half-assed spamdroid version has been more widely available for 6 months.
Exactly because it is on-device, more care and attention is needed so the negative impact doesn’t get out of control, unlike cloud-only version which only the AI cloud need to be thoroughly tested and checked, less work too. Fortunately Apple doesn’t have a ton of different processors to worry about, but still a lot of work To do, something Apple has proven themselves not very good at When rolling out other features.
As for driving sales, I’m sorry but I bet there are enough people out there fearing AI in general that they’d prefer a device that lacks such support or at least can be fully turned off.
To address the last point of “tech illiterate”, in general it means people who just uses their device to get the job done, rarely or never visit tech website like MacRumors for latest tech news etc. My boss cant even distinctively tell which generation of iPhone he is having right now sometimes, which speaks for themselves.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

Waragainstsleep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
UK
So, imma break it down paragraph by paragraph.
“Rarely use“ doesn’t mean they will NEVER use. Apple has surprised us from time to time when cutting Off devices from latest iOS support, latest example being A10X iPad not supported while A10 does. But put that aside, Apple always wants as many people buying higher end devices as possible.
As for the AI “everyone will want it”, I highly doubt it. iOS nowadays have tons of features general public don’t know or don’t use, for example the preserve camera Setting feature to lock some of them so they don‘t go back to Apple default. I have a hard time believing “everyone will want AI on their device”. Even on this very forum I can see some people wanting to know if there is a way to “turn off AI”, which speaks for themselves.
AI is a core feature in Apple’s mind yes. It’s not a core feature in everyone‘s mind.

Rarely may not mean never, but it does give a good indication of how they are likely to handle something. Your inference is way more out of the blue than mine.
Cutting off device support is something that happens with older devices. It's surprising they are cutting off devices that are still current today from AI features, like the iPhone 15, but thats a whole different issue to releasing a new device that candle a core OS feature. I can't think of another example of this off hand. Certainly not on the level of importance of Apple Intelligence.
You're nitpicking over my use of the word "everyone". I don't mean every single person in the world. I mean enough people that it may as well be everyone. They may not all want it at once, many as you suggest will take time to realise it exists (since it won't be on their current but not very old devices), but when they see it used, they'll want it on the next one. And wish they already had it. It's not just a core feature, it's a killer feature.

People who had iChat for years got excited when they found out Skype let them "call their grandkids in Australia for free". Managing Directors who had cellphone that could send emails for years got very excited when their golf opponents showed them they could email from their phone now because it was a Blackberry".
AI is the next one of these. Its already a buzzword.

AI might not be a pro feature in your mind, but even if you just talk about search, it is still quite an advanced feature compared to “math notes” which school kids can benefit from greatly. Unlike traditional search, you have to know how to carefully construct your query to get the best result possible, since there is no script/syntax to follow along. Besides, if search is the cornerstone of AI, Apple doesn’t have to limit AI search behind 8GB of RAM no, Considering searching Google means query is guaranteed to be sent to servers for processing?
However, let’s say 8GB of RAM and M1 are given to base model devices, same as base model M3 iPad Pro released not too long ago, what would people think? Oh and M1 is a variant of A14, and current base model iPad is also on A14, meaning little performance gain for 8GB of RAM and a brand new SKU.

Theres more to AI than just search.
If A14 is that similar to M1, then maybe the RAM is the limiting factor. On device AI hogs too much of the A14's available 4GB RAM in the current iPad maybe. If Apple could make it work on the A14 iPad, I suspect they would. The iPhone 15 has 6GB so clearly RAM is key.

I wonder what would people think when they buy current iPad a couple of days/weeks prior to that assumed refresh.

This has happened since time immemorial. Its not going to have any impact on Apple's planning now.

While you are right That many, if not most people would not go rush out and buy a new iPad just for the sake of AI anyways, this further proves that staged rollout is better than releasing all at once to everyone. Who knows, maybe some bits of AI can be released to slightly less RAM machine later.

What they announced is a stage rollout. They excluded every single iPhone ever made except the 15 Pros. Hundreds of millions of users. And most iPads. Plus the Intel Mac users. And the feature is delayed until later versions of iOS 18.

I cannot see them drip feeding partial features down the existing product lineup against their previous announcements. You claim Apple drives users to higher end devices, I think the push has always been to drive them newer ones more than higher end.

Exactly because it is on-device, more care and attention is needed so the negative impact doesn’t get out of control, unlike cloud-only version which only the AI cloud need to be thoroughly tested and checked, less work too. Fortunately Apple doesn’t have a ton of different processors to worry about, but still a lot of work To do, something Apple has proven themselves not very good at When rolling out other features.
As for driving sales, I’m sorry but I bet there are enough people out there fearing AI in general that they’d prefer a device that lacks such support or at least can be fully turned off.

It's certainly not unheard of for them to get things badly wrong. I have faith they'll get it right this time though.

To address the last point of “tech illiterate”, in general it means people who just uses their device to get the job done, rarely or never visit tech website like MacRumors for latest tech news etc. My boss cant even distinctively tell which generation of iPhone he is having right now sometimes, which speaks for themselves.

See the above answer about it being a killer feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.