Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Hey Guys I need some life saving advice here.

So I got this new gf; but is not ready to totally torch all memories from the exes (esp since one of them died in a car accident, and I like to look and remember her once on a blue monday - okay right now she is background on my iphone, ipad and streaming on the apple tv screensaver) - and not even sure this relation will work out long term yet.

Anyways: I'm looking for a way to take all: photos (photo app), text messages(imessage), facebook messages, mail (apple mail), and so on (I'm ALL on the apple echo system) - and basically place them in some sort of Fort Knox - that only I can access - but that I can still access easily.

What are the best way to do this ?

It does not have to be very secure (new gf that is rather tech savy should not get to it by accident) but I don't REALLY need to keep the FBI from accessing it either.

Also would like to keep it in a way where it's still easy and most of all fast to access.

What are my best options here?

Thnx guys

Reactions: 0002378

Suspended
May 28, 2017
I love your openness and the way you talk about your personal life ... you don't see that much here ... I enjoyed reading your post ! So, kudos for that.

I am NOT a MacOS expert. But, when it comes to storing any sensitive data, I have a rather simple solution ... an encrypted DMG file that is password-protected.

1 - Put all your data in a folder. Let's call it "Exes"

2 - Open Disk Utility, select File > New Image > Image from folder

3 - In the dialog that is shown, select your Exes folder. Give your image file a name. Then, for "Encryption", choose the 128 bit encryption option. For Image format, choose read/write, which will allow you to modify the image later (when you want to add/remove files from it). Click Save.

4 - Then, try opening the .dmg file you just created. It should prompt you for a password. Make sure to unselect "Remember password in my keychain'. You don't want it to remember the password. Enter the password, and your image will be mounted. You can then browse the folder you put in there, make changes, whatever. When you're done, make sure to unmount the image (by clicking the eject icon in Finder), otherwise anyone with access to your computer will be able to see the contents of the image.

5 - You're done ! Everytime you want to access the folder, repeat step 4.

This is a fairly easy, fast, secure, and effective solution, in my opinion.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your new gal :D

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Hey man, thank you so much for your suggestion.

What I hoped was that some cross device software that could do it existed.

Since all my images is in photos, the messages in fb and iMessages, mails in Apple mail and so on.

It seams it will become a difficult task to extract all these infos and then find a way to view it right?

Suspended
May 28, 2017
Hey man, thank you so much for your suggestion.

What I hoped was that some cross device software that could do it existed.

Since all my images is in photos, the messages in fb and iMessages, mails in Apple mail and so on.

It seams it will become a difficult task to extract all these infos and then find a way to view it right?

I see. So you want something that will do the extraction for you ? As opposed to you doing it manually ?

I misunderstood, then. I thought you're only asking about a secure way to access it.

You want cross-device software that will gather stuff from multiple apps/places and manage it securely for you ? Is that right ?

If that is the case, I'm clueless. I'm pretty low tech ... I have a 2009 Macbook Pro, and no other iDevices. I don't use Facebook or any of those other apps you mentioned :D

Sorry, and good luck !

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
I just hoped there was like an addon app to photos erx that could lock away some of the images.

Not sure how I can extract all the different things and lock them in a folder - while still being able to view them hmm

Overall not sure what the best option is.

Optimally bit probably unrealistic - I could mark it all and place it in a locker that made it unavailable in the apps. And when unlocked it was available in the apps.

But that probably does not exist.

Your option might be the best (or perhaps just en encrypted folder.

But the challenge really is to extract the photos, and The differ type of messages to a folder in a format or way that I can still view it.

Atleast om the MacBook.

I do like to sometime look at her in the iPad or iPhone - but if it can’t be done it can’t be done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.