Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
I was stopping in at Aldi, a German-owned semi-supermarket chain, and they have a center aisle where they offer spot specials on all kinds of non-grocery items. They were selling Toshiba Canvio Basics USB 3.0 portable hard drives (1.0 TB) for only $49. I grabbed the last one.

My question: I'm in an all-Mac home office environment, and portable hard drives like this tend to move between computers. We have late-model computers running MacOS 10.12 Sierra; both have USB 3 ports. What would be the best formatting to apply to this hard drive in Disk Utility?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I was stopping in at Aldi, a German-owned semi-supermarket chain, and they have a center aisle where they offer spot specials on all kinds of non-grocery items. They were selling Toshiba Canvio Basics USB 3.0 portable hard drives (1.0 TB) for only $49. I grabbed the last one.

My question: I'm in an all-Mac home office environment, and portable hard drives like this tend to move between computers. We have late-model computers running MacOS 10.12 Sierra; both have USB 3 ports. What would be the best formatting to apply to this hard drive in Disk Utility?
The best for a all Mac environment is Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
The Toshiba hard drive has a weird USB cable; it has two connectors on the end that plugs into the back of the drive assembly. The two connectors (one looks like microUSB; the other one looks like a small unspecified port) are melded into one end. You must plug both into the hard drive in order to have it connected.

Maybe this is why this drive was $49. Is there a name for this kind of arrangement? Is it possible to buy other cables like this aftermarket? Or will this drive work with just a standard USB cable?

I could take a photo of it and post it here if that would help.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
That's a standard Micro-USB 3.0 port. You might actually be able to use it with a standard MicroUSB cable but it will be at reduced speed.

200px-Connector_USB_3_IMGP6033_wp.jpg

USB 3.0 - Wikipedia

Reactions: Wingsley

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
3 feet might be enough, but I was also wondering about 6 ft. as well...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.