Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveTaylor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Yesterday I posted my first attempts at HDR images well I think I have done myself proud with this one:
shed3.jpg

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
The tree branches look blurry. If the branches looked more natural then I would like it. There seems to maybe be a slight tint in the trees. The color just look odd in the trees.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
It looks far better than my first (and to date, only) attempt at an HDR image.

I have a couple RAW images I'd like to try to merge to HDR but Photoshop keeps telling me there isn't enough information to merge...I think my EXIF info is still in there and I haven't yet been ab;e to remove it. I sohuld probably just do multiple exposures anyway, but I like the idea of doing it from a single RAW because handheld shots are possible that way.

DaveTaylor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
It looks far better than my first (and to date, only) attempt at an HDR image.

I have a couple RAW images I'd like to try to merge to HDR but Photoshop keeps telling me there isn't enough information to merge...I think my EXIF info is still in there and I haven't yet been ab;e to remove it. I sohuld probably just do multiple exposures anyway, but I like the idea of doing it from a single RAW because handheld shots are possible that way.

Get photomatix, it's much better than Photoshop for HDR I think and thank you for the C&C :)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Personally I would like to see both of your photography plus I guess your older then 16 and more experienced so you must feel so good putting a 16 year old down.

Well, saying you've "done yourself proud" with this pic does create a degree of expectation... which the pic doesn't match.

The compliments on the 'Pic of the Month' thread (you can see some of my pix there) tend to come from the 'audience', not the 'performer'...

DaveTaylor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Well, saying you've "done yourself proud" with this pic does create a degree of expectation... which the pic doesn't match.

The compliments on the 'Pic of the Month' thread (you can see some of my pix there) tend to come from the 'audience', not the 'performer'...

Ok so I am not allowed to be proud of my work now... sounds fair.

DaveTaylor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Well, that's the assumption, for anyone who posts a pic on a public forum. But, as I said, favourable comments sound better coming from those who view the pix... not the photographer himself...

ok so you never said you are proud of one of your images or happy you got it or even you like it, wow you must be very depressed...

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Even though HDR is new and cool, it doesn't mean that any not so great picture turns into a great picture because it's HDR.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Personally I would like to see both of your photography plus I guess your older then 16 and more experienced so you must feel so good putting a 16 year old down.

I think you should be less personal about it all. You clearly weren't looking for extreme criticism when you posted this - in fact, I'm guessing from the tone of your post that you wanted a few positive comments etc..

However, that doesn't change the harsh reality that the photo is rather mediocre.

I'm not being mean or derogatory on purpose, i'm just expressing my honest opinion. And unfortunately, it's usually other people's opinions of your work that defines its artistic merit (at least in the world of commercial/fine art photography).

As for me, well, I'm 16 too, and my photos are FAR from great. But I can take honest criticism, and you should to. Listen and learn from it. You'll always be able to improve in the future.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR

whoa! you're right, I'm 17.

Sorry for being harsh, but there seem to be so many people in these forums to just take a random snapshot and HDR it then show it off

qpawn

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2003
California
You really need to compress your images for the web. Your image is around 2.5 MB! :eek:

I like the mood of the image. The left side of the shed came out a little darker than the right. Looks a little off to me. Might wanna tweak that in Photoshop. Maybe if the picture followed the "rules" of photography more closely it would get a better response.

What is the subject of the photograph? The shed. But it might be tucked into the bottom right side of the image a little too much. Try a tighter crop or maybe shoot a different angle on the shed. The rule of thirds could help.

I don't have access to Photoshop at the moment, but here's an edit I just did in Preview (click for larger):

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
You really need to compress your images for the web. Your image is around 2.5 MB! :eek:

Who needs compression when you have 20Mbps download bandwidth? :)

Anyway this is for every... (It is not directed at you qpawn).

I think you guys are being kind of harsh. The OP clearly stated these are his first attempts. What's wrong with trying something new?

I am brand new to the SLR world myself and I hope you guys will be a tad more gentle if I decide to share one of my photos.

lag1090

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2007
NJ
While I may not be of skill comparable to anything near that of a professional photographer, I will preface this post by stating that I have had some experience in the field. Granted, this has no bearing whatsoever on any possible merit this post holds; rather, it is just the perspective I hold in light of this previous experience. It is not intended for this post to appear as any sort of assertion that I know what I'm talking about at all.

Moving along to the matter at hand, the original poster's HDR image. I am of the opinion that this particular version is of fairly good quality, this being based solely upon the fact that it is one of the OP's first attempts at creating HDR images. There are a number of elements which I am particularly fond of in this image, but there are also some things that should be addressed.

Beginning with the positive aspects of the image, I would have to say that I am impressed with the rendering of the shed's roof and wood grain. The roof appears to be made of granite, almost of the some polished quality that would commonly be found as a countertop. I just find the texture to be interesting on the roof regardless of if it was intended.

Secondly, the exposure of the wood's grain gives it the appearance of a wood with a more vibrant tone, perhaps something similar to cherry or redwood. While the tone is not too close in appearance to either of these woods, it is a step in the right direction.

Lastly, I believe that the blurring in the background tree branches provides a certain depth to the image, almost like the trees are embossed. While this is likely unintentional, I do believe it adds an interesting effect to an otherwise unexceptional image. By this, I am saying that the image is fairly good, but it lacks the compositional quality found in exceptional images.

Continuing to the bad, I would have to say that the composition of the photo is off. It just doesn't seem as if much thought was invested when the choice of camera positioning was made. I do agree that a tighter crop would help this particular image, but I believe that a complete recomposition would be of even more benefit. As was suggested earlier by another member, the image would generally benefit from use of the rule of thirds . My personal approach to correcting this would likely be placing more emphasis on the shed, possibly through the use of natural framing (shooting through branches with some of them on the edges of the frame.) I believe that this would add another desirable quality to the image while retaining its original purpose.

Secondly, the exposure in the background is a little dark. While this helps to distinguish the background from the subject, the colors just don't jive well with this particular setting. The same goes for the color of the yellow background flowers; their stems simply appear to be too vibrant.

Lastly, you may want to consider opening the door of the shed. Depending on your luck, the shot may appear to be more interesting at the expense of drawing attention away from the outside of the shed. This is a purely personal choice. I am not saying that this necessarily should be done, but it may result in a more interesting shot.

I hope you find this post to be of both encouragement and light constructive criticism. While I honestly doubt that you were discouraged by the comments of previous posters, it is possible for you to misinterpret their comments. I am of the opinion that their particular comments were unnecessarily harsh for a first-time HDR composer, exposure to such criticism will ultimately help you in the future. You will eventually adjust to similar comments, and you will become more adept at improving your work while interpreting these comments.

Speaking from experience, a plethora of inherently "bad" images have been composed throughout history, perhaps the majority of said photos to have been created by yours truly. I've endured criticism much harsher than that which you have experienced on these forums, often to my surprise that my work has not yet endured a barrage of rotten produce from discontented critics. (I'll just have to patent a method for doing this over the internet in the future :)).

I just honestly hope that you have been helped by this criticism, rather than simply being taken aback by the words of those more experienced than yourself. I wish you well in your future photographic endeavors, and anticipate great improvements in your work in the foreseeable future.

Adrien Baker

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Bakersfield, Ca.

whoa! you're right, I'm 17.

Sorry for being harsh, but there seem to be so many people in these forums to just take a random snapshot and HDR it then show it off

If your tact was on the same level as your abilities as 'photographers' you might be a useful forum members, however all you've done, as well at others, is put the kid down without and reasoning. Instead of just telling him his picture sucks, why don't you explain to him why it sucks and how it could be better.

Or maybe you don't know. :cool:

Adrien

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
If your tact was on the same level as your abilities as 'photographers' you might be a useful forum members, however all you've done, as well at others, is put the kid down without and reasoning. Instead of just telling him his picture sucks, why don't you explain to him why it sucks and how it could be better.

Or maybe you don't know. :cool:

Adrien

fair enough

here are some comments:
there is too much going on the background, cropping is your friend.
The picture has a bit of a dark haze about it, exposure seems to be your enemy.
The picture is taken from an odd angle (it seems your bedroom window or some other room)
a low angle toward the focal point (the shed?) would be much more striking, that's right get on your hands and knees.
The green and yellows seem very out of place, lighten the image and make it monochrome --maybe add a slight blue tone.
There seems to be no thought to the composure of the image, it takes less than a second to snap an image, but it could take hours to get the right image.

liveexpo

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2006
The key thing that we should always remember when doing anything like this (HDR etc) is that its a tool to accomplish something. When you become more experienced, you find that there are scenes which simply cannot be achieved using one exposure - either you meter for the highlights or the shadows - at the expense of the other. When using film, we can alter the way we process a film and then use split grade printing, to capture the range (zones in BW). This is what HDR is really for. Its not for turning a bad snap shot into something interesting, its there so you can push the boundaries of what is capture-able on a digital sensor (at least, push the boundaries of the end result, that is).

I tell this to everyone; Get a £20 manual film camera, and learn to see before learning how to do PS techniques. Way better off in the long run.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
I'm sorry, I don't really like the image either. I'm not a fan of HDR - your use is subtle to the point where it may not even be necessary. As you say, the shed has turned out well, but then you may as well have just shot the shed and left it as it was.

But then, I'm no expert in HDR, I've only ever played with it once.

While I agree that you should be proud of your own work, you should also be humble as to accept criticism. Your age has nothing to do with it, beyond showing you may be inexperienced. They weren't putting you down because you were 16 - as far as I can tell, you brought up the age first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.