Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brake buster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
got myself a new 24" 2.8 extreme iMac Aluminium.

and have just crossed over from using a pc for over twelve years ( not the same one i might add )

however, i have come across a stumbling block,
i used Adobe photoshop on my PC , but it cant be run on my new iMac unless i install windows, which i dont want to do

any idea's ?

BB

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
got myself a new 24" 2.8 extreme Imac Aluminium.

and have just crossed over from using a pc for over twelve years ( not the same one i might add )

i used Adobe photoshop on my PC , but it cant be run on my new iMac unless i install windows, which i dont want to do

any idea's ?

BB

Buy the OS X version.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
You can try calling adobe and find out if they offer a cross grade option.

Some people have reported that they have done this for little cost (p&p)

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I think the cross-grade is ~$50. You must contact Adobe customer service, who'll provide a form to fill out and sign stating you've destroyed the Windows version and media.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Eh, the software world is expensive - always be prepared to spend insane amounts of cash... That's why I still have Adobe CS. It's not practical for most people to upgrade, let alone be able to afford it.

popjond

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2008
I made the switch a few months ago. Adobe has a cross-platform program. After you certify you have destroyed the Windows version of PS, they will send you the MAC version for the cost of postage, about $6.00. If you are seriously into photography, some programs like Q-Image and ACDSee do not have MAC OX counterparts. I installed VMWare Fusion (about $80.00) and these programs work very well in the virtual PC environment.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Eh, the software world is expensive - always be prepared to spend insane amounts of cash... That's why I still have Adobe CS. It's not practical for most people to upgrade, let alone be able to afford it.

I'm with you on that one. Though I love it when people tell me I should upgrade for one feature or another. When it comes time to do this I can't seem to find their credit card in my wallet!

zdobson

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Indiana
That's why I still have Adobe CS. It's not practical for most people to upgrade, let alone be able to afford it.

I'm a pro and I ran CS up until about 3 months ago. I picked up CS3 for its RAW capabilities and what a difference! A lot of people don't need that, though, so why spend the money?

I think a lot of photographers have the tendency to throw money away. For example, I know someone who recently switched from Canon to Nikon. What a waste of money! Both systems have great equipment and there is no way you can switch pro platforms without losing a couple thousand dollars in the process. Sure, currently the D3 has less noise at 6400 ISO than Canon, but it's not worth losing money over. I'm sure Canon will respond soon enough.

Anyways, I guess my point is you can lose a lot of money going for the latest and greatest so you might as well stick with what you have as long as it serves your purposes.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
got myself a new 24" 2.8 extreme iMac Aluminium.

any idea's ?

BB

Did you think that Windows-programs would "just work" in OS X? It doesn't quite work that way....

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
If you are seriously into photography, some programs like Q-Image and ACDSee do not have MAC OX counterparts.

Hmmm, I'm seriously into photography, and I've never used either of those programs.

It looks to me like Qimage is a budget RIP, but if you're using a color-managed workflow, surely this isn't necessary?

ACDSee looks like iPhoto/Aperture/Lightroom/Bridge...

What am I missing?

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Hmmm, I'm seriously into photography, and I've never used either of those programs.

It looks to me like Qimage is a budget RIP, but if you're using a color-managed workflow, surely this isn't necessary?

ACDSee looks like iPhoto/Aperture/Lightroom/Bridge...

What am I missing?
Same here - Lightroom and CS are working swell for me... I don't see any need to use these programs either.

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL
I'm a pro and I ran CS up until about 3 months ago. I picked up CS3 for its RAW capabilities and what a difference! A lot of people don't need that, though, so why spend the money?

I think a lot of photographers have the tendency to throw money away. For example, I know someone who recently switched from Canon to Nikon. What a waste of money! Both systems have great equipment and there is no way you can switch pro platforms without losing a couple thousand dollars in the process. Sure, currently the D3 has less noise at 6400 ISO than Canon, but it's not worth losing money over. I'm sure Canon will respond soon enough.

Anyways, I guess my point is you can lose a lot of money going for the latest and greatest so you might as well stick with what you have as long as it serves your purposes.

My Leica IIIc takes great photos, 50 years + going now. I agree wholeheartedly, the latest and greatest isn't always worth the money. Master the equipment and software you have before moving up(?):cool:

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Both systems have great equipment and there is no way you can switch pro platforms without losing a couple thousand dollars in the process. Sure, currently the D3 has less noise at 6400 ISO than Canon, but it's not worth losing money over. I'm sure Canon will respond soon enough.

If you're a sane pro, it's either an ROI decision or it's a capability decision. For instance, if you need publishable results at ISO 9600, you've currently got one camera choice that'll make the shot- the Nikon D3. If you don't want a one-off, then it might not be worth losing the shot- or you might need tilt/shift lenses that Canon offers and not be willing to move up to LF. How many low-light opportunities will you miss between now and the next Canon release? Six months worth? If they're lucrative that could pay for the switch right there.

Besides, people switching are a great source of well-priced, well-cared for gear, don't knock them too hard! I saved almost $2000 on one lens because someone was switching over to Canon because they felt they needed the difference in high-ISO performance and "look" at the time.

Heck, I've got a product shoot next week, and I'm totally bummed that I didn't get some new monoblocks last week- I'll shoot them on location with my current lights, but it won't be nearly as easy as it would be with the new lights, so I'll be sinking more time into a project that I'm pushing into my schedule that's filled enough that I might actually have been able to ROI half the cost of the new lights in one shoot.

If I needed something Canon had, and I could ROI the switch- then if renting didn't make sense or wasn't an option- I'd switch to get the tools I needed.

Too many people make the tool choice a religious one.

With that said, I often find it amusing that "pro" shooters on DPR switch back and forth when it's obviously their lack of skill or knowledge that's the issue. But again, it's a great source of gently used gear at great prices, so I say let 'em switch their hearts out!

zdobson

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Indiana
But again, it's a great source of gently used gear at great prices, so I say let 'em switch their hearts out!

Shoot! I should've asked him if he had sold his gear yet. I could've bought something off of him. Oh well, I just bought the Mac Pro, so it will be a few more months before I pick up any more lenses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.