Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
IMG_0001.jpeg

iOS 18 Finally gives us the useful info about signal strength we all wanted to know from Field Test App. To get this app to show up, you need to install the iCloud shortcut and follow specific instructions which are very easy. This works on iPad and iPhone both.

This post by me will help you to enable it

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
That's awesome as is your Home Screen shortcut to access sit (I'd never remember the complicated keypad thing).

Interestingly on iOS 18 beta 2 my cellular service stopped working in Canada and using field test I found out that's because its found a Verizon (US) signal in Canada (I'm near the border) which is almost zero signal strength instead of the much stronger Canadian local signal which I'd prefer to use with my unlimited roaming plan. Not sure there's a fix but at least I know what's going on.

KevinNX02

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2024
I am running iOS 18.0 (22A5307i). Field test mode looks great, but I would like to see the Cell ID number. I am just about dead center of 3 towers. Even with a yagi pointed at one tower for our booster, our devices still tower hop a bit. I used the Cell ID to determine which tower I was on. I know I can use the PCI number, but the Cell ID was just more convenient, I guess. Does anyone know of a way to access the other info that used to be available? Also, my shortcut still works :), and I use cellmapper.net.

KevinNX02

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2024
IMG_4916.jpeg

I am running iOS 18.0 (22A5307i). Field test mode looks great, but I would like to see the Cell ID number. I am just about dead center of 3 towers. Even with a yagi pointed at one tower for our booster, our devices still tower hop a bit. I used the Cell ID to determine which tower I was on. I know I can use the PCI number, but the Cell ID was just more convenient, I guess. Does anyone know of a way to access the other info that used to be available? Also, my shortcut still works :), and I use cellmapper.net.
Cell ID has returned! 🥳

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I actually don't like this new FTM. It has no timestamps when the given info had updated. the 5G info is really slow to update vs the LTE stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.