Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yogitac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2018
MacBook Air 7.2
Recently did a full erase of Sierra and installed Mojave.
This should be a totally fresh install, including new Apple ID and new iPhone 8 with same new ID.
System is running glitchy and slow--console is showing a few concerning things--is anyone willing to explain why:

Encrypted root plist wipekey efi user
Core Foundation "Allowing process impersonation by process com.apple.preference.network.re (2078) despite not having the com.apple.private.defaults-impersonate entitlement due to it not being sandboxed. Please add com.apple.private.defaults-impersonate instead, this will stop working in the future." for a bunch of process'.
Lots of SU_Title installation, attempts to migrate various things "not compatible with this system", "lacking sandbox", etc., when I've specifically intentionally migrated nothing.
ARD Agent plist shows private.screensharing.xpcaccepted has true value, though I show everything off...
Files are showing created/modified/opened dates of several months ago

The initial install log starts with the wrong date (a day ahead) then eventually switches to correct date.

There's a lot more that I won't dive into unless asked. Hoping someone can explain to me how this tin foil hat is on crooked, and how to set things straight. Thank you in advance!
Again, totally wiped (I thought) system with fresh install.

And, to keep the hat shiny~~the iPhone updater log (I restored from this laptop right after the new Mojave install) is pretty fishy looking too. Amster Forgerock and Stockholm4???
I started this whole brand new everything because I found something called Pegasus under system library accessibility bundles in a bunch of apps on my and my child's phone, which when googled doesn't look good.

Last edited:

BLUEDOG314

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2015
If you detail the steps you took for the clean install I may be able to help more. Could you also describe slow and glitchy a little more?

The one think about console is that there are often very cryptic messages that sound bad but are not indicative of a real problem. You can do a clean install and 5 minutes later look in console and probably find something that looks like an issue.

Reactions: yogitac

yogitac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2018
I followed the steps from Apples website in: did disk utility repair on all disks. Booted in recovery mode, pressed erase on the main disk. It asked did I want to reinstall the OS and I read that as did I want to reinstall Sierra--I said no. Then I got a question mark in a box...I took it in to a computer repair shop and they made me a copy of Mojave on a USB which I then installed.
Glitchy like slow, screen jumping, multiple keychains for the same things and things I'm not sure about. Emails to iCloud and yahoo send twice...I'm a layperson but longtime Apple user with some understanding of how things work

BLUEDOG314

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2015
Did you migrate anything from a time machine backup? If any keychain data came from iCloud or a backup that may be part of the issue. If you did a clean install and are experiencing emails sending I feel that there is still something we are missing. Can you go into activity monitor, set it to show all processes, then go into the cpu and memory tabs and filter by "cpu %" and "memory" descending, respectively and post screenshots. I have a machine much older and slower than yours, in fact it is one of the last that supports Mojave, and it runs just fine which leads me to believe something else is at play.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I would suggest reinstalling Mojave, after erasing the drive again:
(Don't deviate from these steps)
Boot to your Mojave USB installer.
Open Disk Utility
In the top left corner of the Disk Utility window, change the View dropdown to "Show All Devices".
Choose the TOP item in your drive list, which should be the item directly above the "Container disk1" line, and should show the part number for your MBAir storage drive. When you have that top line selected, click the erase button. Name the volume whatever you like, and continue on with the erase.
When the erase finishes, Quit Disk Utility, then choose Reinstall macOS. Make sure the destination for the install is the drive that you just named (and have just completely erased)
NOW, you should have a clean drive, with nothing left over from whatever wonderful things were happening.

One final question:
Why did you think you needed to make a new AppleID, just for the added iPhone 8? New AppleID shouldn't be necessary, unless you already were having problems with the OLD AppleID account (maybe?)

Reactions: MIKX and yogitac

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
I followed the steps from Apples website in: did disk utility repair on all disks. Booted in recovery mode, pressed erase on the main disk. It asked did I want to reinstall the OS and I read that as did I want to reinstall Sierra--I said no. Then I got a question mark in a box...I took it in to a computer repair shop and they made me a copy of Mojave on a USB which I then installed.
Glitchy like slow, screen jumping, multiple keychains for the same things and things I'm not sure about. Emails to iCloud and yahoo send twice...I'm a layperson but longtime Apple user with some understanding of how things work

The question mark in the box was telling you that it did not have a start up volume selected. An Option Boot would have resolved that, offering you the option to choose your startup volume. It can happen after you have been in the Recovery console, for whatever reasons. But is easily corrected.

I'm not sure on the glitches etc. If you are not too far into your install, maybe another attempt might correct it. Do you have your own USB installer... If not, read here, it is very straight forward.

http://osxdaily.com/2018/09/26/make-macos-mojave-boot-usb-installer/

I would try again at home. Once you have your USB installer setup, boot from it, using Option Boot, wipe your SSD/HD clean and start again. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the Console. Although right now it sounds like you may have installed over your old install hence the issues.

Good luck. If you need to ask anything feel free...

Last edited:

yogitac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2018
Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.02.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.02.07 PM.png

[doublepost=1544648947][/doublepost] Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.05.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.06.22 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.06.38 PM.png
[doublepost=1544649110][/doublepost]
Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.02.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.02.07 PM.png

[doublepost=1544648947][/doublepost] Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.05.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.06.22 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.06.38 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.06.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.06.50 PM.png
    299.1 KB · Views: 217
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.07.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.07.05 PM.png
    264.2 KB · Views: 236
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.07.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.07.18 PM.png
    262.5 KB · Views: 243
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.07.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.07.29 PM.png
    294.2 KB · Views: 223
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.07.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.07.40 PM.png
    286.7 KB · Views: 323

yogitac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2018
Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.10.04 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.10.18 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.10.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.10.28 PM.png
    268.3 KB · Views: 200
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.10.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.10.37 PM.png
    238.6 KB · Views: 242
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.10.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.10.45 PM.png
    276.6 KB · Views: 201
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.10.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.10.57 PM.png
    291.3 KB · Views: 198
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.11.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.11.04 PM.png
    274.4 KB · Views: 202
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.11.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.11.12 PM.png
    229.5 KB · Views: 187
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.11.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.11.19 PM.png
    268.2 KB · Views: 218

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Is there some question that you have about those Activity Monitor screenshots?
You have quite a few browser tabs open, but those screens basically look pretty normal.
If that is your normal use of the iMac, you might consider adding more RAM. Maybe.

yogitac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2018
[doublepost=1544649356][/doublepost] Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.14.27 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.14.34 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 1.14.59 PM.png
[doublepost=1544649470][/doublepost]
Did you migrate anything from a time machine backup? If any keychain data came from iCloud or a backup that may be part of the issue. If you did a clean install and are experiencing emails sending I feel that there is still something we are missing. Can you go into activity monitor, set it to show all processes, then go into the cpu and memory tabs and filter by "cpu %" and "memory" descending, respectively and post screenshots. I have a machine much older and slower than yours, in fact it is one of the last that supports Mojave, and it runs just fine which leads me to believe something else is at play.
Thank you--no, I very intentionally have migrated nothing. I have a time machine backup, on a separate hd, but have migrated nothing. Lots of things are trying to migrate, though. Have just uploaded activity monitor shots. Thank you for your attention!
[doublepost=1544649669][/doublepost]
I would suggest reinstalling Mojave, after erasing the drive again:
(Don't deviate from these steps)
Boot to your Mojave USB installer.
Open Disk Utility
In the top left corner of the Disk Utility window, change the View dropdown to "Show All Devices".
Choose the TOP item in your drive list, which should be the item directly above the "Container disk1" line, and should show the part number for your MBAir storage drive. When you have that top line selected, click the erase button. Name the volume whatever you like, and continue on with the erase.
When the erase finishes, Quit Disk Utility, then choose Reinstall macOS. Make sure the destination for the install is the drive that you just named (and have just completely erased)
NOW, you should have a clean drive, with nothing left over from whatever wonderful things were happening.

One final question:
Why did you think you needed to make a new AppleID, just for the added iPhone 8? New AppleID shouldn't be necessary, unless you already were having problems with the OLD AppleID account (maybe?)
Thank you--I've been having a lot of problems and decided to create a brand spankin new start (though it's not quite working out that way)
[doublepost=1544649766][/doublepost]
Is there some question that you have about those Activity Monitor screenshots?
You have quite a few browser tabs open, but those screens basically look pretty normal.
If that is your normal use of the iMac, you might consider adding more RAM. Maybe.
I'm posting them for another responder who suggested I do so...I'm not on normal use at all, have just been getting the system set up.
[doublepost=1544649904][/doublepost]
The question mark in the box was telling you that it did not have a start up volume selected. An Option Boot would have resolved that, offering you the option to choose your startup volume. It can happen after you have been in the Recovery console, for whatever reasons. But is easily corrected.

I'm not sure on the glitches etc. If you are not too far into your install, maybe another attempt might correct it. Do you have your own USB installer... If not, read here, it is very straight forward.

http://osxdaily.com/2018/09/26/make-macos-mojave-boot-usb-installer/

I would try again at home. Once you have your USB installer setup, boot from it, using Option Boot, wipe your SSD/HD clean and start again. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the Console. Although right now it sounds like you may have installed over your old install hence the issues.

Good luck. If you need to ask anything feel free...
Thanks--to be super clear, I should insert the usb with Mojave on it and then erase?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Follow the steps in post #5. That should do it.

If you don't want anything from your previous system to show up as you begin using your completely fresh system, then I recommend that you make a new AppleID this time. Don't enter any previously used cloud information from other services, either. (You will know, because you will start using your previous apps, don't log in with existing logins. Make ALL new logins on whatever places you need to log in, such as financial services, etc.
Yes, it's a big hassle. If you want to make sure that you have put away your foil hat, at least for now, do it that way.
Or, log in with the same logins to everything, and continue having doubts about the security of your system.
No problem...

yogitac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2018

If you don't want anything from your previous system to show up as you begin using your completely fresh system, then I recommend that you make a new AppleID this time. Don't enter any previously used cloud information from other services, either. (You will know, because you will start using your previous apps, don't log in with existing logins. Make ALL new logins on whatever places you need to log in, such as financial services, etc.
Yes, it's a big hassle. If you want to make sure that you have put away your foil hat, at least for now, do it that way.
Or, log in with the same logins to everything, and continue having doubts about the security of your system.
No problem...
Thank you. So, the new Apple ID I've recently started on this install and new phone--kill it? What is the procedure to have fresh log in's--sign out of everything and then forgot password when I visit from new device? Actually, this was confusing to me--in setting up my new phone (new Apple ID! not linked to old email) some apps in the App Store showed as a cloud...must be because I have the same phone number? Any ideas on how to manage that?
[doublepost=1544651761][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1544651894][/doublepost]And, to keep the hat shiny~~the iPhone updater log (I restored from this laptop right after the new Mojave install) is pretty fishy looking too. Amster Forgerock and Stockholm4???
I started this whole brand new everything because I found something called Pegasus under system library accessibility bundles in a bunch of apps on my and my child's phone, which when googled doesn't look good.

Last edited:

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
Thanks--to be super clear, I should insert the usb with Mojave on it and then erase?

Yes, boot into the inserted Mojave installer USB. Insert it when the machine is off. Then hold down Option and press power. You will then be shown the various boot drives. Usually your current HD install and then the Mojave USB. Select the Mojave partition. It will then take you to the installer console, which is identical to the recovery console. In the pop up select Disk Utility and erase the old install. Make sure it is the old install and nothing else. Once done, close DU and select install/reinstall macOS from the pop up and follow the prompts. You should be good to go thereafter.

I also recommend following post 5. Good luck. :)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Thank you. So, the new Apple ID I've recently started on this install and new phone--kill it? What is the procedure to have fresh log in's--sign out of everything and then forgot password when I visit from new device? Actually, this was confusing to me--in setting up my new phone (new Apple ID! not linked to old email) some apps in the App Store showed as a cloud...must be because I have the same phone number? Any ideas on how to manage that?
And, to keep the hat shiny~~the iPhone updater log (I restored from this laptop right after the new Mojave install) is pretty fishy looking too. Amster Forgerock and Stockholm4???
If you just created a fresh AppleID, doing a fresh install, and haven't really used that new AppleID for much of anything (not downloaded new software, or used the AppleID to setup your Apple services, then you shouldn't have much problem continuing to use that new AppleID.
Newly purchased apps may show up with a "cloud" symbol. That just means you haven't actually downloaded it yet (and it continues to appear as a cloud, even if you HAVE downloaded it.) I had one do that just yesterday. Nothing to be concerned about, if you are successful in downloading and installed that app.

What do YOU think an Amster Forgerock is? Seems a legitimate business support company, as far as I can discover, and probably provides part of the login process that you use when you log in to whatever business site you use for your job. If you have IT support at your job, maybe they can answer that kind of question.
(I think you may be over-thinking some of this, too! Day-to-day life can have a lot of unintentional stress. Sometimes you have to move back from the edge, take a couple of deep breaths, and realize that you were not as close to the edge as you thought... :cool:

yogitac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2018
If you just created a fresh AppleID, doing a fresh install, and haven't really used that new AppleID for much of anything (not downloaded new software, or used the AppleID to setup your Apple services, then you shouldn't have much problem continuing to use that new AppleID.
Newly purchased apps may show up with a "cloud" symbol. That just means you haven't actually downloaded it yet (and it continues to appear as a cloud, even if you HAVE downloaded it.) I had one do that just yesterday. Nothing to be concerned about, if you are successful in downloading and installed that app.

What do YOU think an Amster Forgerock is? Seems a legitimate business support company, as far as I can discover, and probably provides part of the login process that you use when you log in to whatever business site you use for your job. If you have IT support at your job, maybe they can answer that kind of question.
(I think you may be over-thinking some of this, too! Day-to-day life can have a lot of unintentional stress. Sometimes you have to move back from the edge, take a couple of deep breaths, and realize that you were not as close to the edge as you thought... :cool:
yes, you're so sweet and I'm sure you're correct. There's a bit more to it than I've put forth here~~I'm self employed, and have an extensive unquestionable record of serious breach. That said, I think some of the phone install package is likely Vrizon nonsense bundled in for their profit. I am also understanding that a true wipe requires physical removal of the hd, which I believe makes sense of my efi issues.
Thank you all.

lucky9

Suspended
Jan 2, 2019

No problem...

See, if you observe you can find that almost all the OS including iOS can cause the issue and this is technically proven. Few users reported that they are facing "To allow access please respond on your iPhone" error on their new iPhone device. As we can get all the solutions of the problems from this forum, we have also shared the solution of this issue which you can check by following the given link.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.