Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CallmeBigfat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
I wonder what would happen if you pushed down a tad too hard on the new iPhone 7 force touch home button It might break away from the finger print sensor and get like pushed into the phone. Just a weird thought. I'm sure they have something to support the extra weight that would be pressed against it.

Reactions: Bryan Bowler

jdmar2004

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
I'm sure people will naturally let off once they feel the vibration. That's how I let off when clicking on my mbp

mistame

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
If it's not an actual button, then it seems like it's part of the phone body itself. The way you describe that happening makes it sound like they took the standard home button from previous models and put glue around the edges so it won't push in,and could "break" if it's pushed too hard. Who knows though, with everything we've seen it's hard to tell how exactly it's constructed with the phone.

Chronus

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
If it's not an actual button, then it seems like it's part of the phone body itself. The way you describe that happening makes it sound like they took the standard home button from previous models and put glue around the edges so it won't push in,and could "break" if it's pushed too hard. Who knows though, with everything we've seen it's hard to tell how exactly it's constructed with the phone.

The reason you're paying in the region of £800 (depending on model) is that Apple don't 'glue' previous moveable bits to make them now secure.

The force touch button is built into the bottom half of the phone and will be as solid as the chin is large.

mistame

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
The reason you're paying in the region of £800 (depending on model) is that Apple don't 'glue' previous moveable bits to make them now secure.

The force touch button is built into the bottom half of the phone and will be as solid as the chin is large.

My sentiments exactly. It's described as a "solid state" button, so I don't see it "breaking away" any more than if you pushed in just as hard on another part of the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.