Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John80

Suspended
Original poster
May 15, 2016
Do you guys think Apple will introduce 8th generation of iPod Nano or will update software for 7th gen, so it will be able to run Apple Music offline?

WWDC is month away and I do believe they could introduce new refresh Nano with same dimantions but with Wi-Fi or they will allow to put offline music from Apple Music. Just once a month user will have to connect iPod via iTunes.

jthompson666

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2011
I really doubt it. I think I recall reading on somewhere that there are literally zero engineers working on the 'classic' iPods which is the reason why the current iPod nano has not had its UI updated in lie with apples new UI design language. Apparently they are all working on the Apple Watch now. To be honest, I can see the current iPods languishing almost indefinitely until they go the way of the iPod Classic - couldn't source parts. Updating the current nano yields little RoI for apple anyway especially given apples current love/hate relationship with the 3.5mm port the overwhelming likelihood is that apple will loose it first on the iPhone and then gradually on most other if not all other iOS devices at least.
Plus having to connect to iTunes which is an application that features ever less in peoples everyday lives is, in my opinion clunky, archaic an distinctly non-apple.

Of course, this is the company that put a charging port on the bottom of a wireless mouse so I guess clunky things are possible after all :D

I did a quick google search - this is a similar article to the one i initially read:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/07/16/ipod-touch-tidbits/

John80

Suspended
Original poster
May 15, 2016
I really doubt it. I think I recall reading on somewhere that there are literally zero engineers working on the 'classic' iPods which is the reason why the current iPod nano has not had its UI updated in lie with apples new UI design language. Apparently they are all working on the Apple Watch now. To be honest, I can see the current iPods languishing almost indefinitely until they go the way of the iPod Classic - couldn't source parts. Updating the current nano yields little RoI for apple anyway especially given apples current love/hate relationship with the 3.5mm port the overwhelming likelihood is that apple will loose it first on the iPhone and then gradually on most other if not all other iOS devices at least.
Plus having to connect to iTunes which is an application that features ever less in peoples everyday lives is, in my opinion clunky, archaic an distinctly non-apple.

Of course, this is the company that put a charging port on the bottom of a wireless mouse so I guess clunky things are possible after all :D

I did a quick google search - this is a similar article to the one i initially read:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/07/16/ipod-touch-tidbits/

Well to be honest one person is more than enough for change old UI to iOS7 like. Also, adding one app (Apple Music) is dramaticly changeing device. I would change Spotify for AM if it requires conncting iPod once a month for sub check. I mean, it's just one app and I can see more people like me go for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.